Book Review: Under the Influence

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The book "Under the Influence" by Joyce Maynard is a compelling with an excellent storyline. I read this book in the middle of February for my book club that took place on Saturday. The story is a narrative type of a book that is told by a woman named Helen who makes many bad choices. She describes her best friend relationship with the married couple of Swift and Ava Havilland. Helen tells us how this friendship started with them. Also, one of the main themes of the story is how her family and friends were introduced to Ava and Swift and what those people think of Swift and Ava. The main theme of the story is Helen loves her so much and how they got along with each other . The story is excellent because it can be dull at times, but the story draw one in and makes a person who is reading it want to read more and see what happens in this book Picture Courtesy Pixabay
I find that it "can be dull at time" isn't something that I would want to read. I need to want to turn the page...not cringe at being bored.
@abbygreenhill t thought it was so great that is pulled in the reader. I really wanted to tell the potential reader that the book is worth a try. One os never bored when reading this book
@Marty1 Reading a 'book review' saying it cam be dull at times probably won't make me want to read it..
@AbbyGreenhill Thank you for telling me, Will try harder next time!
Always a good sign when a story draws the reader in!!! Thanks for the review, my friend!!!
@corbin5 I happy I read the book though this isn't usually the type of a book I read. That is one of the reasons I love books club so much as it introduces new books and types i never read in the past.
@Fishmomma (11467)
I'm alright when a book starts slow, as long as I'm not trying to pick it up in the middle and thinking why am I reading this book now. That is a problem, as likely won't finish it. I'll add it to my list and then see how long it takes me with the top of my list. Thanks for the book review.
@fishmomma I had left books when it seemed to tedious to finsh reading it. Then I usually pick it up again later and start over again if I don't remember the way the story is going. Do you like to read too? What are you reading now? I am reading the Banana Cream Pie murders, by Joanne Fluke, another culinary mystery who the characters are like a family and friends to me.
@Fishmomma (11467)
@Marty1 Joanne Fluke is my favorite author. I am reading Joanne Fluke Wedding Cake Murder March 2016.
@Fishmomma I love her. I have to read the wedding cake murder on my Kindle. I always read library books and ignore my own books. Trying to read all my paper books and Kindle books as I am running out of room for all the Kindle books. I am going to start reading my own books starting today.
@FayeHazel (19111)
That sounds really interesting. I would love to find a book club.
@fayehazel You should ask if your local library or maybe another library in your area but in another world if you have transportation. I am happy my town library has one so I can walk to it!
@FayeHazel (19111)
@Marty1 Thanks for the suggestion, I should ask. I know our library has "Book club kits", maybe I could start one. Walking distance is always nice. I put the book on my list at the library , thrilled to see they have in in audiobook form.
@bunnybon7 (37205)
• Holiday, Florida
do they come to your house to talk over it?
@bunnybon7 No, we meet at the library as that is the starter of the club. I don't think I would be comfortable with inviting everybody to my house. We meet at the library in the Penna (Pennsylvania) room in the basement of the library. We met for the month last Saturday, and we had an overflowing room full. 10 of us in all. Usually, have 6 to 8 of us!
@bunnybon7 (37205)
• Holiday, Florida
@Marty1 very cool
It's good it draws the reader in. Good review.
@just4him Thank you! I don't think it is my best book review But am working on it!
Sounds a pretty good read.
@judyev The book was a great read even though it started slowly then it got can't put down!
@bunnybon7 (37205)
• Holiday, Florida
sounds like a few i read and couldn't stop because i hate skipping to the end to see if they stay together yet keep reading to find out even if its slow at times. lol
Thanks for the great review. A good story must draw me in, too.
@dianneN It starts out a little slow but then one is almost forced to read to the end to see the conclusion of this story!
@silvermist (20085)
@Marty1 I think I would like to read that book.Let me try whether I can get it.
@lokisdad (4264)
That is a big problem for me when you are reading something and it suddenly gets boring with things you don't really care about more like its used as a filler. The only time it does not bother me is when the boring information leads to something important and exciting later on down the book.