Transportation in Venice

@garymarsh6 (12103)
United Kingdom
There are several ways to get into Venice via plane, train and bus or car however you will not get any further than that as no cars are able to drive around Venice and the islands that make up Venice. Arriving by plane at Marco Polo International airport you can either take a taxi part of the way, catch a bus part of the way, a water taxi all the way or the four waterbus routes (Alilaguna )to various stops around the city. By train you would cross the Lagoon on the railway bridge to the main railway station where your journey continues either on foot or on a water bus. By road across the lagoon to a grand car park near the station and thereafter by foot or water bus. Water taxi from the airport will cost around £100 $ 1.50 or 100 Euros. The most convenient and affordable journey is to buy a return ticket for the waterbus also called Vaporetti. For romatics who might want to be romantic and take their loved on on a gondola of course you can but you will be fleeced for around 100 Euros for an hour. Far better to take the cheaper option and cross the grand canal on a Traghetti for around 2 euros. Most routes will visit the other islands like Murano, Burano and other outlying islands each worth a visit especially Murano where you can treat yourselves to some Murano glass! Venetian glass is very beautiful but very expensive. You might even get the opportunity to watch the glass blower at work creating wonderful pieces of glass with the aid of a blow pipe and molten glass on the end of the rod which is placed into the roaring fire turned and stretched back into the fire and stretched some more creating fine fragile pieces. The alternative way of getting around Venice is on foot walking around meandering alleyways, crossing tiny bridges, and each corner you turn will reward you with some Jaw dropping sights.
What?? 100 euros for a gondola ride! That does seem exhorbitant.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
You are not wrong there!
That is way to much money.
Wow. You have painted a lovely picture for us with your words. What a delight it would be to experience Venice all it has to offer.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
I feel I am not graphic enough I feel that I am only giving facts rather than fully describing its beauty the ambiance and feelings you get in this beautiful place.
@garymarsh6 Your description worked for me!!!
I would think Venice is a maze for walkers.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
It is amazing. Every time you go down a little alleyway and come out into some piazza the sights really do take your breath away!
How does the water stay fresh?
@garymarsh6 (12103)
It is tidal water the sea washes in and out which keeps it relatively clean. Venice is situated at the end of the Adriatic Sea.
@topffer (29869)
• France
Venice is definitely not a city for walkers, or only for walkers not counting the miles. For a weekend there I would recommend to buy a pass Vaporetto working on vaporetti and buses. It costs 30 Euros+a supplement for the vaporetto going to the airport for 48 hours.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
I loved walking all over the city and found some amazing buildings down little alleyways. We were able to get off the main tourist haunts and see Venice as the locals see it. If you don't walk you won't see these places. It is not that friendly for people with mobility problems though or if you use a wheelchair. That would be a nightmare! I agree it is great to buy one of the passes for the waterbus if you intend using them often but even if you don't it gives peace of mind you can just jump on and off as the need arises!
@topffer (29869)
• France
@garymarsh6 I like to walk but Venice is frustrating as we cannot cross the "streets" like we want, and have to go to the next bridge, which might be quite far. I think that the city has definitely been conceived to be seen from a boat. A gondola would be ideal but it is way too expensive. I agree for Murano, glass blowers are part of the folklore and there are not a lot of places where we can see glass blowers today
@LoriAMoore (9565)
Vaporetto! I didn't do the overpriced gondola ride either.
You missed a treat, Lori.
@Asylum (46767)
• Manchester, England
I travelled into Venice by boat, which took us to the small square alongside St Marks. PS stop being mean and take your wife in a Gondola.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
Haha she hates boats and ships!
@Asylum (46767)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 What an excuse.
@nomus24g (16008)
that's awesome sight...
@garymarsh6 (12103)
Thank you!
You've described it well. It is fascinating watching glass-blowers at work.
I think that I would enjoy walking around the city.[u][/u]
My favorite way to get around was by gondola, Vaporetti, and on foot. We saw the Murano glass blowing demonstration, and actually bought a few pieces and had a chandelier shipped home. It hangs in our dining room. I loved Venice!!!
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
We used the Vaparetti too as other options were way too much.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
Its a shame that it is so expensive more people would use them!
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 They would probably make money overall too.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
Oh what fun - you have lovely photos
@garymarsh6 (12103)
You too have fantastic photos. It is lovely to go through them every now and again to remind you of your travels!
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 I know I do - they just make me wish I was on a FOREVER tour
Not a place that I would like to visit at all. I wonder about the smell of that water?
@garymarsh6 (12103)
It is tidal water the tides flow in and out all day long so the water is not stagnant. I understand sometimes it might smell but it has never been smelly when I have visited.
how i would love the opportunity to find out for myself!
@garymarsh6 (12103)
I hope you do one day!
Thanks for all of the travel advise. I hope to go back there some day.
• Midland, Michigan
That would surely be a nice vacation. Is it fairly inexpensive to go there on holiday too from England? We have a factory in town that used to do tours. I saw them make glass, paperclips and other household items. I was young then and surprised I remember this much, lol
@garymarsh6 (12103)
I love watching glass blowers they are so talented. Knowing my luck and stupidity I would suck instead of blow the glass on the end of the pipe!
• Rochester, New York
When we went to Venice we took a water taxi to it from a parking lot across from the island. lol The gondola's are beautiful and the ride in them around the waterways was fun. When we went there in 2001 there was trash floating around in the water and built up in random corners or alleys.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
Just like on land but floating in the water in some places.