Just When You Thought it was Safe...

pixabay
@msiduri (5840)
Well, that never happened before. I was sure I had posted the review, a recycled review from my Examiner stash. Examiner died some time ago and I’ve been tweaking my reviews from there posting one a week. The one I posted this morning disappeared almost instantly. I couldn’t figure out why. Always a possibility I messed up. Nope. It wasn’t there. No use waiting for it. So, it was deleted. Why? In my experience, asking the powers that be on any site usually turns out to be an exercise. Later in the day, I pulled up the review and was about ready to post it again when another possibility crossed my mind. The post opens with a familiar Mark Twain quote. I put the first paragraph into Google, just make sure I hadn’t inadvertently posted it someplace else. Never fear. I hadn’t. Some other misbegotten [bad word] had. Word for word. Even with MY TITLE the little twerp had copied it from Examiner when it was up and running in 2015 and posted it on a site called bashatom, which turns out to have (shock) Russian connections. And, linked it was another plagiarized review of mine! Good thing I wasn’t expecting to make a fortune. All I lost was rights to my intellectual property. I can write the review from scratch, of course. With a single finger salute to plagiarizers. Image: pixabay
@CoralLevang (40863)
I had my "Thank you for your service" post lifted and on someone's blog, including my personal references in the script. Of course, I contacted them, but no response.
@msiduri (5840)
Bummer! I'm expecting to get no response from Atomsmash.
@CoralLevang (40863)
@msiduri *nods* I know.
@msiduri (5840)
@CoralLevang Well, I get the satisfaction of screaming (other words I can think of wouldn't be allowed here) loud at the miserable [unladylike language].
I got plagiarized once back on EPS. The kid posted one of my very early reviews. I've never seen it happen since.
@msiduri (5840)
Did he repost it on EPS? I've had a couple plagiarized from Examiner. For a while, I included a paragraph saying my post was written by me for examiner blah blah and if you're reading it on another site, the person posting it has ripped me off.
@msiduri - Yes he did. One of the other music writers caught it.
@msiduri (5840)
@teamfreak16 Well, that takes— And it shows a lack of brains. Every once in a while some newbie would get the plagiarizing bug at EPS. And boy, watch the dogpile once they did.
@hereandthere (24175)
"in my experience, asking the powers that be on any site usually turns out to be an exercise." - do you mean the admin here or the admin at bashatom?
@msiduri (5840)
The powers that be at any site. That is, if I had asked the admins here why the post was removed, I would have expected to get a response to the effect, "It did not conform to our rules." I could have figured that much out without sending an email. So I did the investigating on my own. That's all it meant. As for bashatom, I have yet to receive a reply, so I'm putting them somewhere on Bubblews level of integrity, that is, nowhere. I would have expected myLot to reply.
@msiduri i wonder how are people able to retrieve and use other people's posts from defunct sites for their own personal profit ?
@msiduri (5840)
@hereandthere They copied it while it was still up and running. I just noticed it now.
Do you think they're plagiarised other reviews of yours? Can you check a couple at random.
@msiduri (5840)
I'm pretty sure they have. I've spot check reviews before I revamp them for myLot. I'll have to do that more stringently in the future. I didn't think my reviews were valuable enough to steal.
@msiduri A feather in your cap then - even if you didn't want it!
@msiduri (5840)
@JudyEv One way to look at it. I'd still like to slug the lazy you-know-what. I'd settle to see the reviews removed.
@reskyyandi (3840)
I don't know why but sometime my post disappear too
@msiduri (5840)
I assume then they've been deleted because for one reason or another they don't conform to the site's guidelines.
@Morleyhunt (16729)
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery....sorry this happened to you. Having someone stalk your work and passing it off as their own is not nice.
@msiduri (5840)
I'm pretty sure I wasn't singled out. And it's not like there's a vast fortune at stake. It just irks me that there's so little I can do except, well, complain.