My New Position

With my husband working out of town and being away for 5 days out of each week, a lot of his CEO duties fall on my shoulders. The only problem is I'm not very good at this and I don't plan on perfecting it because it is only a temporary situation. I am staying back here to finish work in a few weeks and pack up our home. But.....yesterday we noticed something with out heating system. Oh no, was all that I could think. I hate dealing with technicians. My husband gave me the private number for the owner of the company that installed our system and instructed me to call him this morning. I did call, and I did whine (that's what I do) and he assured me that he'd be here by noon. I apologized that I need to be at work for that time, so he moved the time frame up and finally I gave in and told him that if I don't answer the door where he can find our spare key. We totally trust him, and I'm sure that by the time that I get home later on this afternoon the issue will have been fixed. I don't like my new position of CEO of this household and am counting down the days until we move.
So you are one of those lucky women that has a husband who takes care of everything. I am a CEO of nothing, but surely a CEO of any problem around.
i remember your husband said you're a problem-solver
Oh, I am so thankful that he is the strong level-headed one that looks after everything. This is a stretch for me to be dealing with these kinds of things. But I am managing, with his direction of course, which he gave me yesterday. And the owner of the company met me in passing one day when he was here inspecting what the technicians were doing during the installation process.
@Juliaacv My husband get stressed easily, so I try not even to let him know if there is a problem. I get the phone and I solve it.
I wouldn't be good at being CEO either. Hope the problem is fixed by the time you get home.
Me too, I'm not cut out to look after these things-I don't know how some men do it!
@Juliaacv Years ago, it suddenly struck me that 'husbands' as a general rule have a lot of responsibilities on their shoulders what with wives, children and providing for them in good times and bad. And while I never tried to make things hard for Vince, I tried after that to be more aware of his 'duties' and the problems he might be facing. Commonsense I suppose but something I hadn't thought about much up till then.
@JudyEv We've always tried to take a partnership approach, but there are things that are my strong suit, and others that are his only. But some things we can interchange. Men do have a lot, but so do us women.
@juliaacv I hope your husband gets back in town to take over his CEO duties! But at least you have him, If I had a problem I would have to turn to Marty hamster!
No, he won't be back. We have sold our home, it closes the end of March, and he is staying at our son's place for 5 days a week, as its closer to work, and he comes home on the weekends. Nothing ever breaks down on the weekends! I'll join him in our new location the end of March, and I'm counting down the days!
@Juliaacv I hope you like your new house! That is good you will be joining him!
@Marty1 Thank you. Its a temporary move. The first year we need to live at our son's place as they don't want to sell it and they need to move for a year for a new job. But neither of us are too keen on his house, so we'll have a place all lined up to move out next spring!
@katsmeow1213 (28938)
I take it you're moving closer to hubby's job? I'd hate to have to handle all that stuff myself as well. I always leave things like that up to hubby.
Yes, he works 150 km from here, so it dictates a move. Our son lives near that area, but he has to move for a 12 month period as his fiancée took a job 2 hours in the other direction. They don't want to sell their home, so we'll live there for a year and then buy a place not too far. I really wanted to live closer to him, not further away. But her family is waiting for me with open arms. And I am looking forward to that!
@Juliaacv Sounds like it will work out!
@katsmeow1213 I'm sure that it will. Nothing ever comes too easily, our home was on the market for 18 months, we literally had hundreds tour it, both from Canada as well as the US. It finally sold and a few days later my husband accepted this wonderful job offer so far from here. We had planned on down-sizing anyways.......
I wouldn't be very good in those situations either. It won't be much longer now and you two will be together all the time again.
I know, its trying though. My husband and son have suggested that I move up there on March 25th, which is the day after I finish work. I don't think its the greatest idea since we will have our moving pod picked up the week before that and the neighbours are watching, if they don't see any life around here I am afraid that we might be targeted for a burglary. I'll keep myself busy that last week after I finish and hopefully will stay right up until the morning of March 31st. Details......they are starting to take over my life here!
@Juliaacv I think that would be a better idea. I would be worried about break ins too. It is only another week. That way you can make sure everything is done and ready to go.
@Happy2BeMe They think that I'm crazy, since all of the furnishings, except for the kitchen appliances, which we are leaving, will be gone. But I plan to keep the coffee maker here, the smaller tv, my laptop and I'll sleep on an inflatable mattress, it will be just like camping with indoor plumbing and wifi! But I will have peace of mind.
You're doing so well in the meantime. Even if you don't think so.
Thank you, I really need to read those words of encouragement today. It was a hard day. But....the pressure relief valve (whatever that is) has been replaced on our boiler system. woohoo
@Juliaacv You're a strong woman. Hopefully, this will show you how strong you really are.
@AmbiePam You're too kind, I'm trying, but its been a really trying week. Better days have to be ahead is all that I keep telling myself!
@hereandthere (24192)
the peace of mind of knowing someone skilled, reliable and trustworthy is priceless.
My husband is that person, but with him working away and not home during the week days, a lot more falls onto my plate then I am accustomed to. The owner has met me in passing and has a soft spot for me.
@Juliaacv not having to watch someone do the job is a big relief
@hereandthere Yes it is, and when I get home a few hours later they hopefully will have fixed the issue and have gone.
@sishy7 (27370)
I feel you... I'm lost when my husband is away... Not only he handles everything around the house, but he's also our main chef...
We share the cooking here, but its not very nice to have to eat alone night in and night out.
I hope he got everything fixed with the heating system. There are somethings that are best left in someone else's hands, your position is one of them. I'm glad it's temporary.
Oh me too! And they did come along and fix it all up and relock the house while I was gone working this afternoon. My husband wants to have a moving storage unit moved here next week, and he'll take a couple weeks to fill it and will have it hauled off on March 24th. And both he as well as our son wants me to move on the 25th, but I explained to them that people are watching and talking, so once that storage unit goes if they don't see someone move in immediately and no longer see me, we will be targeted. So I am going to stay until the morning of the 31st, it won't be easy, but I feel it is safer.
I know what you mean. I don't care for change and like a routine.
This is a bigger challenge then I realized it would be!
I don't blame you for not wanting to have to be responsible for calling & waiting for the technician. I dread having to call and make an appointment for someone to look at my washing machine but its on me since I don't have a husband to push it off on
I called and told him that I have to work this afternoon, but advised him where the spare key is located and he let himself in and out and replaced the part that needed replacing. And since its such a new unit this must be under warranty because he didn't advise me otherwise of it. Tomorrow's task is to go for my annual physical and tell my doctor that I will be looking for a new doctor as we're relocating.