'Twas a Multicultural Week

Living where we do - Los Angeles - there is always something "cultural" to experience. Last weekend we went to the Scottish Festival in Long Beach, next to the Queen Mary (a retired ocean liner). My kids are part Scottish and it's rare we see any events related to Scotland. Hubby and I got our meat pies and Welsh cakes but we weren't brave enough to try haggus. Going aboard the Queen Mary was an included bonus! On another day, the kids and I started a 6 week salsa music/dance class. We learned salsa rhythm with musical instruments, a bit of singing in Spanish, and salsa dancing in Puerto Rican and Cuban styles. A fundraiser for school had us going to a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant. After school on another day, we visited one of our favorite bakeries which is French-Korean fusion. This weekend we went to a multicultural event at our local college. We saw music and dance performances that had roots in West Africa, Polynesia, Brazil and Japan (more cultures were represented, but we just couldn't get there early enough to see them). At one of the many craft booths, the kids learned to write a word in Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish. We feel fortunate to live in such a diverse city! What was your latest cultural experience?
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I'd love to take a salsa class, that looks like a lot of fun! I'm always up to try something new!
The kind of salsa dance we are learning is a lot like "swing". It was interesting too as we did the same steps in different speeds - and did it all around the room - it was quite a workout!
@much2say That sounds like fun! Do you have to bring your own partner? My husband isn't much into dancing.. so if I did something like this it would probably be on my own..
@katsmeow1213 This class is a kid based one . . . I don't think the kids want to dance with partners just yet , so no partners are needed (or wanted ). But for adult classes, it probably depends on the instructor. I've taken ballroom classes where no partners were needed - you just get paired up with whomever in class.
nothing here at this time just an ole town meeting.lol
Well some of those town meetings can be quite an experience!
@much2say they are very much so.They are.lol
The area around DC is like that too, with lots of cultures represented, actually I think alot of major cities are ethnically diverse.
Probably so! We don't travel a whole lot - I'd love to see how other major cities do their cultural stuff some day.
A diverse city does offer so many benefits. I would not be brave enough to eat haggus either. We have many wonderful Chinese buffets here and for a vegetarian like me, there are many foods from which to choose.
I love Chinese buffets! I've actually been wanting to go to some Vegan fairs. I'm not Vegan, but so many Vegan/Vegetarian places have opened up here . . . I'd love to jump into the bandwagon to eat less meat (though I could never completely give it up).
oh and don't forget Indian food, lots of veggie options there!
I think that what you call haggus are the Scottish Haggis, I would not dare to try them too. I have only been to Italy last week, but I have cooked Mexican and Spanish.
I've only seen haggus (haggis?) previously on tv . . . and I am not sure how if I could stomach the ingredients . I would love to try real, real Italian food . . . not the Americanized stuff. Oh I love Mexican and Spanish food!!
@much2say I have never found real, teal Italian food in the United States, I think you should make a trip to Italy.
@LadyDuck Believe me, I would love to go to Italy and try the real deal. My friend and husband went there are few years ago - they absolutely adored the food there!
Here in the Philippines too, it is already becoming multi-cultural . Before it is mostly the Chinese who are here in the Philippines. But now, there are Indians, Brazilians and Koreans , living here. And yes, they joined those singing contest too for foreigners who knows how to sing in Tagalog.
I didn't realize it is becoming more diverse out there too! I do have friends who are Chinese who grew up in the Philippines . . . food in the home was mixed, but language they spoke Tagalog. Our Filipino friends here like to try foods from different cultures as well - their parties serve a whole array of cultural foods!
@much2say That is nice to hear that you have Chinese friends who speaks Tagalog. It must be so nice to attend a party where there are dishes from the different culture. So do you like Filipino foods ?
@SIMPLYD I do like Filipino foods, but would like to know more about it. Like I said, the friends tend to serve foods other than Filipino. One family has the grandparents living there, so if a party is at their home, the grandparents are sure to cook pancit (because Nanay knows that is our favorite) and adobo. Sometimes they will have tons of lumpia. I have asked friends what they thought was the most "authentic" restaurant . . . but they all say they prefer home food. One friend missed street food from the Phils.
You are very fortunate indeed! LA is not only diverse, but beautiful, too! I love haggis! Try it next time. Lol! I love hearing about all the wonderful things you do with your children. Keep it up. You are enriching their lives and your own.
Oh my gosh . . . you've had haggis?! What did it taste like? But I'm sure folks must like it, otherwise they would not have it in their tradition for so long!! Thank you . . . you know we try to give our kids as many experiences as we can, while we can!
@much2say Haggis is very flavorful. I don't like black pudding, though. You're welcome! You just keep doing those wonderful things for your children!
@DianneN Black pudding . . . will have to look up that one though. I have to wonder about blood sausage too ,
It was indeed a fruitful week! The activities during a short week give kids personal knowledge of many diverse cultures.I am glad to learn that kids learnt how to write the Chinese characters.
It was a festival that not only showcased different cultures, but the theme was "water" and how we should conserve water. So the word they wrote in different languages was water. And you know the character for water in Chinese and Japanese is the same. In Japanese we say "mizu".
@much2say Oh ! The theme was water.However I haven't known the water in Japanese is the same as it in Chinese.The Chinese character is pictograph and The Japanese language is allied to the Chinese language.
@changjiangzhibin89 This one: (I hope the link works)
Every brand needs to have a logo. We were influenced by the Chinese sign for water, as water is a main source of our product.
THis sounds fun. I am part Scottish too and would love to go to a festival like you described. I don't think I want to try haggis.
I actually thought of you because "Celtic" was everywhere. There was even a booth that was arguing about the pronunciation of Celtic or Keltic . I would have tried haggis if they had samples . . . but I don't know if I could actually stomach a whole one .
@much2say .....I have dreamed of visiting Ireland and Scottland. Even England and Whales. In another life time perhaps. I don't think I could stomach a whole one either. Sure doesn't sound very appetizing.
@celticeagle Oh yah, I'd like to visit any or all of them too! Who knows, it could maybe still happen one day yet! Until then . . . we keep on dreaming .
@shshiju (10567)
• Cochin, India
Each cities have their own culture especially in language and food. That is interesting to watch it and enjoy it.
Yes, we love to go to any cultural event if we can . . . it's wonderful to learn about other cultures!
@shshiju (10567)
• Cochin, India
@much2say Some of the other cultures are real excitement and wonders for us.
@shshiju Do you have interests in any particular "other" cultures?
That's the one thing that I miss so much. There is not much opportunity for a cultural experience here.
I wish we could bring it to you! Research online . . . sometimes there are a hidden gem of events!
@much2say our part of Mississippi really lacks culture. I was very disappointed that my sons school didn't expose him to anything like my schools did for me. Sadly if someone doesn't see a play, ballet, orchestra and such at a young age they may never learn to enjoy it. We took him to as many things on our own that we could get him to.
@Tampa_girl7 I feel like even we had more things included in the curriculum back then. I remember seeing films on projectors in class about various countries and such . . . they don't do that anymore. The kids will have segments on various things at school, but it doesn't seem to make much of an impact as it did with us. You guys were good parents for taking him wherever you could .
I have not had a cultural experience in awhile.
If you live where you say you live, I quickly looked up that there is some Scottish Dance thing every Friday night out your way!!
@much2say I did not know that. I will have to look into it.
@FayeHazel (20033)
Wow! I had bellydance practice last night. Salsa is fun I took a class some number of years ago. Scottish fest sounds fun... the naughty person in me wants to ask if there were men in kilts?lol
That's so neat you do belly dance! You must have a very nice waistline with the belly dance workout! Yah, this is a very general class . . . the excitement is in the dance segment which comes at the last part of class (wish there was more of it). And - you bet there were tons of guys in kilts. There were dance and piping competitions too - so many were definitely in costumes. Some woman were dressed BEAUTIFULLY - I guess Scottish royalty?
@MarymargII (10567)
• Toronto, Ontario
My goodness- you're going to end up being able to teach a course in different cultures soon by the sounds of it. Feels like fun to me!
That would be so much fun! I just have a general knowledge about the many cultures - but if anything I would love to teach a course on cultural appreciation!
That all sounds so interesting - and well done for getting out and about and experiencing all these different events.
We love exposing our kids to the many cultures that are out there - and surely we have not even touched them all yet. I'm all about the food .
Well, I haven't been to Ft Bliss so I'm not sure if they did anything recently but I can say that everytime I go out and about I get to experience a little bit of Mexican culture.
I imagine El Paso to have a lot of Mexican influence as we do here in Los Angeles. For sure I can always go for Mexican food!!
You're right about that @much2say gimme chili relleno or enchiladas, those always sit well with me.
@rebelann And those empanadas!
@bunnybon7 (37447)
• Holiday, Florida
haven't been to one in a very long time. possibly it was one of our Irish St. pat's days things in Vegas we often went to.
Ohh, and St. Pat's is just around the corner . . . there's gotta be something going for that near you!!
@bunnybon7 (37447)
• Holiday, Florida
@much2say be nice but i don't do anything much since i got unable to do much anyway
@bunnybon7 Well I hope St. Patty's can be brought to you then . . . some corned beef and cabbage maybe . . . and some green decor!
French-Korean sounds kind of interesting.
My kids' favorite is the custard bun! I didn't know that it was considered "French" too (it's within a Korean market), beyond the bakery name.
Home admin 2017-01-28T08:24:16+00:00 Locations Store Location Search FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM Load More...Follow on Instagram News & Notice + [catlist name=”news” numberposts=4 pagination=no orderby=desc catlink_class=link_col author=no date=no date_tag=div auth
@much2say - Sounds really good!
Just as too much eating causes indigestion so does too much merry making
That is so true, isn't it? Too much of a good thing isn't necessarily good!
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I'm about to have one tomorrow. Our annual multicultural festival is on this weekend and friends and I are going o a multicultural fashion parade tomorrow. And by the way, haggis isn't as bad as some people make out.
Oh nice ! I hope you have a fantastic time! The multicultural fashion parade would be a neat one to see (or participate in) . . . so many beautiful traditional costumes out there. Ah, so would you say you actually enjoying eating haggis or it is something you would be willing to eat but not your favorite.