Surgery went well

Midland, Michigan
My surgery took less than two hours if I remember correctly.The pain meds they gave me beforehand made me woozy to where I couldn't shut my eyes but could watch TV. After surgery the opposite happened. I was both woozy and somewhat dizzy, so that I didn't keep my eyes open for too long at a time, so I visited with my eyes closed. They were closed so much that my family thought I was snoozing the whole time. I'm waiting for breakfast to show up and then will go for physical therapy. I may have time before lunch to come back to visit or I may wait till after the second session of PT before coming back. The nerve block is still wearing off so barely any pain at all. In fact I have to watch to not overdo therapy. Will share more later whenever that might be.
@PainsOnSlate (20083)
Good to hear all is well, they will teach you how to go up and down the stairs too... That was a surprise to me after my surgery, I never thought of stairs before...
• Midland, Michigan
They mostly concentrate on those that have stairs to get in and out of their homes, and also those where their living space is more than one level. I have a ramp in front but steps in the back- just three of them, but I also have the laundry in the basement so I want the extended practice if possible. That would mean not only using their three step thingy but the actual stairs. But, that may not happen until actual PT on Friday.
@MarshaMusselman they did it for me before I left the Hospital, because I do have stairs - lots of them..
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
Get well soon
• Midland, Michigan
Thank you, I plan on it. I'm hoping that my pain tomorrow and thereafter will be minimal compared to others since I exercised to some degree beforehand.
I'm so glad that it went well Marsha. I gather that you are home now, and I hope that you have some help for the first few days anyway.
• Midland, Michigan
I'm getting around well enough or at least when my ankle isn't swollen. I need to push to do all the exercises and walking in the house, but I'm not doing what I should. That makes things tighter. I got around better the first few days before I began hurting in the night. I may call to find out why my ankles are swollen.
@MarshaMusselman Yes, that doesn't sound right about your ankle. It is important to do all the things they tell you to regarding the exercises. Good luck.
• Midland, Michigan
@jaboUK i discovered that swollen ankles are quite normal after many types of surgeries and this may last for several months. My shin also hurts though and that may be worse than my ankle. It shouldn't get any worse now, but it did take me a few days to recognize what caused it.
I am glad that surgery went well, now try to rest and do not overdo.
• Midland, Michigan
Starting Tuesday we had physical therapy both in the morning and the afternoon. The Dr. said not to overdo it, but we don't always know when we are. I'm back home now with a icepack on my knee.
@MarshaMusselman You are so right, it's hard to know when we overdo it. I would say that if you feel too tired it's time to stop.
• Midland, Michigan
@LadyDuck I don't think that's when we overdo it. I was pushed harder than I thought I could manage today at PT and I did fine. A few places ached, but nothing where I felt I needed to do any screaming. I may share what we did one of these days or just dribble my words all over mylot bit by bit. She started me on a knee machine which I didn't think was possible and I was able to manage and do better than I thought I could. Later she worked with me on a way to push my leg, little by little with a bit of massaging in between and other exercises to limber me up, and finally she got me with my foot all the way flat on the surface at a 0 degrees. When my foot was on the table and my knee in the air she got it to 95 degrees, but I've not been there again since. I hope she gives me a few days before trying to get me up to 100 with my feet next to the bottom of a chair. They told me in the hospital that the goal was 90 degrees there, but I realize after coming home and having problems getting in and out of two different cars that I might need it at 120 which is the ultimate goal that those limber can manage. I hope she does't plan on having me there this week, although if she does at least I should be able to manage more when I exercise and walk around.
@Platespinner (16532)
Glad you're not in much pain and I pray the healing process goes quickly and smoothly! I remember the heavy eyelids post surgery and telling my visitors "go ahead and talk to me, I'm not asleep I'm just resting my eyes" .
• Midland, Michigan
I really wasn't sleeping at the time. Now, if they came today at a certain time I would have been hard pressed to stay awake.
@MarshaMusselman I hope sleeping will speed the recovery process for you!
• Midland, Michigan
@Platespinner I slept good in the hospital but not so good since I've been home. I have yet to figure out why.
@stbrians (11790)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Thanks to God that you came out of surgery. God be with you. Did you type this with closed eyes?
• Midland, Michigan
Do I have mistakes? It was yesterday that my eyes were closed. Today I can keep them open fine, lol.
@stbrians (11790)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@MarshaMusselm Thank you. It is good that you are fine. Let us mylot on as we thank God for His mercies
How does a nerve block last? I would have only though until soon after the surgery was over. I like that they have you start doing therapy so soon.
• Midland, Michigan
I know nothing about the nerve block. I will say I thought it would be one shot and it felt like four to six.
Glad that everything went fine for you. Now you have to make sure that you are careful not to overdo anything.
• Midland, Michigan
Everyone says that about not overdoing things, but I think most should be more concerned about not underdoing it. After PT I found that it's okay for body parts to ache. If we don't move them enough to feel it and push a little more then we may not get full use out of that limb.
I'm glad the surgery went well. Don't over do it.
• Midland, Michigan
The difficulty was that they wanted me at ninety degrees while sitting with my legs bent and at zero for extension. I thought they expected me to be there before leaving. They actually wanted me to push myself and not only just the bare minimum while not overdoing it.
@responsiveme (14478)
That is good news. Sorry I didn't know.I was irregular here but am back now. I guess things will be better on your knees now. Do rest and not overdo
• Midland, Michigan
I'm thinking in trying not to overdo things we may not do enough and then don't get the full movement we were going for. Thanks for stopping by.
So glad that your surgery went well.
• Midland, Michigan
Thanks bunches, Marie. I'll visit with you later. Breakfast will be soon and I think I need to put this away for a bit.
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
Hope that you get well soon. Take care of yourself
@PatZAnthony (12343)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It would be easy to overdo it b/c you are feeling well. Apparently this happens often enough, but you are smarter than that.
I am glad it went well. Good luck on the recovery.
I was thinking of you! I'm glad it's over and you're on the road to recovery. Hope you are up and about real soon.
I'm so glad that you feel this well the day after, and you feel that the surgery was a success. Enjoy your breakfast and don't let them work you too hard today!
Glad to hear that everything went well and that you are now on the mend. Take care of yourself!
@kevin1877uk (36941)
How are you today? I'm glad it all went well :)
@louievill (18123)
Good to hear that you are doing fine and the operation was a success, praying for your quick recovery