What's the most unusual thing you've found on a nature walk?

Pleasant Hill, California
My kid client and I decided to take one of our nature walks yesterday. He lives in Bay Point, which is a poor but not particularly dangerous City in the East Bay of the Bay Area. We searched our favorite creek for tadpoles and couldn't find any, though we heard frogs croaking in the reeds nearby. Suddenly, my young friend looked down and said, "Is this a bullet?" Sure enough, it was. On the back, it says "9 mm Luger" My young friend said, "I wonder who shot it?" I was glad that I had to explain to him that it hadn't yet been fired. I then said, "I wonder what proper protocol is for disposing of this thing? I don't want to just throw it in the garbage." Do you have any idea what proper protocol is for disposing of unwanted ammo? What would you do if you found a bullet? Have you ever found anything unusual on a nature walk? I prefer wildflowers, frogs (he and I have caught several), and even rattlesnakes to bullets.
Especially un-fired ones! Seems a bit dangerous just to throw it away. Take it to a police station? What did you do in the end?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have it sitting on my random stuff shelf.
No I do not.just get rid of it.What is the big deal.Cannot do anything with it.Unless you think that this is evidence to a crime. then turned it over to the police official. Tell them what you found.Very easy.Now we have not found anything .I have not to mentioned this here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I may let the police know. I do wonder how it got there.
@TheHorse you should there.Not going to hurt any
I think you should wrap it in duct tape or foil and dispose of it in the garbage so that no one else will be tempted to mess with it. You could take it to the police, but not sure there would be much they could do with it. I have only found a lost mitten or two, and sometimes a lost baseball cap, on walks; I just leave those in case the owner returns.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's what I do when I find articles of clothing, pacifiers, and such. Or maybe I'll park them on a post so they can be seen.
I think you call the police and tell them where it is and they will tell you what to do.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I might just do that.
@TheHorse .....You don't want to leave it there. It needs to be taken care of .
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle If I don't do anything with it I don't think it will hurt anyone.
@DeborahDiane (15885)
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - I guess you could drop it off at a police station. Other than that, I don't know what you could do. The most unusual thing I found once on a nature walk was a fossil of a chambered nautilus, near Lake Texoma, which is hundreds of miles from the ocean, although it is believed that region was once underwater, millions of years ago.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Mt. Diablo also has underwater fossils. Pretty cool find!
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - Wow! That is amazing that Mt. Diablo also has underwater fossils. Texas is pretty flat, so it isn't so surprising. But ... Mt. Diablo? Wow!
My brother found a musket ball in the back of our yard and we have found really old bottles.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Musket ball! That's pretty cool. Do you think it had been there since the time of muskets?
@TheHorse we think so. It looked very old. My brother still has it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Tampa_girl7 That's pretty cool! What's its approximate diameter?
I have no idea how to dispose of bullets, I would bring it to the police and let them decide. Unusual findings? I think to remember I found an old iron pot once.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you "harvest" it?
@TheHorse No, my husband told me to let it there
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Perhaps it's still part of the scenery. Or a planter for someone.
Since it could potentially be dangerous to the trash man, I guess I would take it to the Police station.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Right now, I'm keeping it as a California souvenir. It's pointed toward the ceiling.
@TheHorse - I couldn't do that. One of my cats would find a way to set it off some night.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@teamfreak16 Heh. If I had kitties here, it would be a different story!
Can you not just destroy it? I always look for wild flowers and bring them in giving them status.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If I try to destroy it, there might be lead flying around.
@TheHorse How are those that are fired destroyed?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@allknowing I reckon they're melted down, but I don't know.
I prefer the natural things to bullets too. I don't think I have found anything unusual on my walks. We do live in the country where people hunt and have target practice, and shoot gophers, so I do see spent shell casings in certain areas.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Spent shell casings I would probably just leave. I see them all over in Montana, and occasionally here in California.
@TheHorse I leave then unless they are messing up the scenery.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, all those are preferable to bullets. I would maybe take it to the Police Dept for disposal. There is a possibility that it could be made to fire it the pin was hit just right.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What if I've committed a crime by picking the thing up and moving it out of harm's way? Ignorance of the law is no defense.
@reskyyandi (3841)
Really strange. I have never found something unusual before
• Pleasant Hill, California
We have many different sub-cultures occupying the same land here.
I haven't come across anything like a bullet but I did come across some unusual footprints once. I was hiking along a trail in the woods - there had recently been a light dusting of snow so you could see footprints along the way. I was about a quarter mile in when I was what looked like the footprint of a human bare foot. There were a few. I couldn't imagine someone walking barefoot through the woods, let alone in the snow. I posted a photo on a social media site and someone said they now make running shoes with individual toes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've seen those wacky shoes. They're not for me. I saw some large footprints with claws out on a fairly recent hike. I wondered if they were mountain lion tracks. Turns out mountain lions walk with their claws retracted, while dogs walk with their claws out. I was probably looking at Lab or Golden tracks.
• Portland, Connecticut
We just found the inside of a fitbit at Ravine Gardens State Park we turned it in to lost and found and hopefully the owner will call.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting one. I now remember finding some sunglasses on a hike. We hung them on the tree they were under.
@CoralLevang (39862)
I think that the police station is where I would start.