Oh Mylanta such pain from eating healthy

My son wanted grapes last week and they aren't perfect enough looking for his liking now so I decided to have myself a healthy treat yesterday. I cut up a banana, mixed in some yogurt and grapes and had a yummy healthy meal. Today I took it a step further and added some chopped walnuts. About 2 hours later I started having pains in my back and across my stomach. I knew it was some kind of gas. I had a free sample of Mylanta chewables and took those. Within an hour I was feeling better. I knew the pain had to be from the walnuts since the meal the day before did not bother me at all. I looked up gas pain from walnuts online and found it is very common. Well sheesh look what I get for trying to eat healthy.
Peanuts do that to me. I can't eat them at all.
What about peanut butter?
@shaggin It bothers me if I eat it in the evening but not so bad early in the day. I don't eat it very often though.
@Happy2BeMe interesting that effects you differently depending when you have it. Maybe it is worse on an empty stomach. I drank orange juice everyday morning for breakfast while I lived at home with parents. I suffered badly with what we thought was IBS (The doctors brushed everything off and never did any testing even when I was skin and bones) . A few years ago I read that doctors now think avoiding orange juice in the morning is better for people with IBS. Would have been great to know that the 18 years I was sick all the time. Which reminds me @katsmeow1213 does your husband drink orange juice?
@PainsOnSlate (19892)
Nuts are good for you or for me anyway, If it caused gas I wouldn't eat them either..
I love nuts but I so rarely eat walnuts it was very obvious what caused the pain. I will wait awhile then trying eating some more. I hope in time my body will adjust. I got very sick the first bunch of times I ate eggs after not eating them for 20 years.
@shaggin food allergies are not fun, I used to have some that brought doctors to my home or me to the hospital when I was younger but in my old age, I had some tests and I'm not allergic to anything but grass..and I promise I won't be eating that..
@PainsOnSlate I was so sick all the time when I was young. Doctors brushed everything off so I was never diagnosed with anything but my parents thought I had lactose intolerance and IBS. I was skin and bones it was horrible how sick I was all the time. Once I had my first child all my stomach problems finally went away. I had read that is common that usually if we are effected by things as children we grow out of it by adulthood but if we develop it as an adult it lasts for life.
I'd no idea that walnuts had that effect, glad you were able to get rid of the pain.
I had no idea either until I pinpointed what I ate that was different and then looked it up.
In fact I am not interested in those "so-called" healthy diet. It means less tasteful for me, such as steaming the food. Enjoying the food is still an important happy reasons in life for me. I can eat the healthy food like you mentioned, but I am afraid I will feel hungry soon. I prefer to regard it as my snack rather than a meal
I was too full after what I ate. It was very yummy. If I just ate the grapes I would have been hungry soon after but the rest of it kept me from being hungry again until dinner.
Some nuts will do that to you.
From what I read that is true and walnuts causing this is very common it said.
@Platespinner (16791)
I love walnuts (any nuts actually) and thankfully they don't cause gas pain...sorry you had such a negative reaction!
I love all nuts and was shocked to have this happen. I get pains sometimes like this and can never pinpoint the problem at least this time I was able to figure it out easily what caused it. Will I stop eating walnuts... Nope lol I'm am thinking what else I can use the rest of the bag up on.
@averygirl72 (16677)
So walnuts can cause gas pain. I seldom have gas pain. Good you have Mylanta
From what I read it is common to have gas pains from walnuts. I was lucky to have the sample seeing as I thought I would never need it and almost threw it away.
@averygirl72 (16677)
@shaggin We don't have walnuts here does it taste like almonds?
@averygirl72 not really nor does it taste like pecans. Walnuts have less flavor then those two.
• Midland, Michigan
I think it's walnuts that are supposed to be a super food too. Have you had this problem with walnuts or other nuts before? Since it wasn't your first meal for the day I'm surprised it hit you that way. I don't know if trying a couple of pieces alone would help your body learn to tolerate it or not. Do you eat walnuts very much? A lot of people eat them in their oatmeal for breakfast, but you may want to start with a smaller amount and increase slowly just in case. After being home from the hospital I've had a bit of a problem with bile. It tends to be hiding below my burps but hasn't produced anything yet. It was so much worse last night that I had several times and kept a waste basket by my bed. Nothing came of that while sleeping, thank the Lord.
I rarely eat walnuts. It actually was the first meal of the day I ate and then I was overly full. I think that both of those was reasons they bothered me. I waited a few days and tried them again on celery with peanut butter and that went good. The next day I ate them on a sandwich with bananas and peanut butter and had no problems then either. I made sure not to eat too much either time. Usually anything I eat that bothers me if I keeps trying my body will adjust. I can't understand why from surgery you would have bile...I assume it is like acid reflux. That is a very strange side effect and very unpleasant.
• Midland, Michigan
@shaggin It could be that I was eating a bit too much especially when my sil brought over homemade food. She had lasagna, garlic toast, orange jello with some type of topping, cheesecake and salad with some fixings. I don't overeat like my husband does, but eating those foods with my meds may be what precipitated the bile situation. I also have a pocket in the top of my throat where some foods will get lodged. They'll be expelled when I cough sometimes a couple of days later. Usually it's things like a small carrot. I'm kind of wondering whether a pill or two got stuck there and then that could cause the bile, I'd think as it dissolved. Now the bile is all gone, and I've taken to eating smaller portions throughout the day instead when I can.
@MarshaMusselman wow that sounds awful. How large is the pocket that something can get stuck in it and come out days later when you cough? I get things like that in and behind my tonsils.
@moffittjc (40187)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm lactose intolerant, so I have to be prepared at all times for a gas attack. So many products are made with milk or cheese!
I had that when I was young and it was terrible. The name brand Lactaid pills helped a lot but the generic did not work for me. There are a lot of hidden things that have milk in them so it can be hard especially at parties where you do not know exactly what is in all the food people are sharing.
@moffittjc (40187)
• Gainesville, Florida
@shaggin I realized how much delicious food I would have to give up in order to totally avoid dairy, and to me, it's not worth it! I love food too much to give up so many things. I just take Lactaid pills and it really helps!
@moffittjc yes I find I eat things that bother me and I don't care it's better then having to eat a nasty bland diet.
I am surprised that walnuts can give gas, fruits surely cause this problem.
I've never had a problem with any fruits thankfully.
@shaggin I have problem with some fruits, beans and cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli.
@LadyDuck I think cabbage and broccoli are common for causing gas
@Tina30219 (31116)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry to hear you had gas pains from the walnuts but glad to hear you had the sample and it helped you feel better.
I intend to eat them again in the future and hope my body will adjust to them as they are so yummy. I won't have a mylanta sample then though.
@Tina30219 (31116)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin Maybe you need to watch for them to go on sale get a coupon for them and buy some to have on hand in case it happens again.
@Tina30219 probably a good idea. I will see how much they are next time I go to Walmart.
• Portugal
I get that all the time from eating healthy food. I have to chew slow, small frequent meals, and drink tons of water, and even then I might get some trapped gas from time to time. I hope you are ok now.
I tend to only eat one or two meals a day and they are large. I was overly full after I ate this but I am pretty sure it was the walnuts. Or maybe a combination of the walnuts and over eating. I never drink while I eat but I know we are supposed to. My late husband had a thyroid disorder that caused him to choke on food so took a sip of his drink with every bite of food. He would get full cast from it and then have to eat again soon after. He was constantly hungry and eating because of it.
• Portugal
@shaggin for sure it was because of the overeating too. Breaking it down to smaller meals should help you. I am sorry about your late husband and his disorder. Thyroid diseases are real torture.
@thehousewife I am not going to never eat walnuts again because if this. I will try next time eating a little and not over eating and see if that goes okay.
@katsmeow1213 (29016)
Yeah that's why I avoid healthy eating.. lol
Walnuts are so yummy though so I am going to wait awhile and try them again. Maybe my body will adjust. I ate celery with peanut butter and raisins on it for lunch and was wondering how it would taste with walnuts instead of raisins but after yesterday I do not dare try it yet.
@shaggin I don't think I've ever had any sort of bad reactions to any foods.. except raw broccoli! There's this raw broccoli salad at the salad bar at the grocery store, and I love it.. but you don't want to be anywhere near me afterwards!
@katsmeow1213 lol I can deal with being gassy the pain I got from walnuts builds up and doesn't come out. It was really painful. I ws glad I had the mylanta sample. I think I will buy a bottle to have on hand just in case.
@JESSY3236 (5828)
My mother also didn't feel good either. Her stomach was hurting too.
From walnuts?
@JESSY3236 (5828)
@shaggin no. I don't know what she ate, but she complained that her stomach was hurting.
@JESSY3236 Oh okay I thought you meant it was ironic because both of our stomachs were bothering us for the same reason. My boyfriend just texted me saying his stomach is upset..In knots...So he is drinking soda so he feels better when he burps...weird
I must have a stomach of steel. Lucky you had that sample at home!
My stomach is a lot tougher then it was when I was young. I had a long list of symptoms when I was younger. I was nothing but bones from being sick from everything I ate. I am glad I am healthy now as an adult .. Besides the depression etc.
@shaggin I'm glad you are physically healthy now. Watch that depression!!!
Wow, I didn't know that about walnuts.
I didn't either before! I learn new things all the time.
@shaggin I do too
Glad you had some tablets on hand
I got them free in the mail and thought I would never use them ha ha well I was glad I had them on hand to try.
@shaggin Oh I see, glad you had them on hand!!
@Gillygirl (16767)
• Sutton, England
Too much tea can do that to me. Glad you got it under control now.
Mine was more like trapped gas. I assume tea causes you to be gassy from the caffeine maybe?
@stbrians (11792)
• Kakamega, Kenya
At least you tried to eat healthy. Better some pains from eating healthy than pains for eating junk
Ha ha that is true. I get feeling sick if I eat to much sweets like chocolate.
I'm glad you were able to get relief from the tablets.
Yes it took the pain away pretty quickly so I was lucky. I might have to buy some to have on hand in the future.