My Encounter with the Death Beetle

@OneOfMany (12401)
The other week a person I know who works in construction was demolishing a house. He said that a 'Death Beetle', something I'd never heard about, was there and he wanted to catch it. Apparently they have some kind of usefulness, though with that kind of ominous name, I didn't know what. Anyways, it got away. Yesterday I was going through a bag of stuff that I had set down by that site and dumped it out on the counter, and there, was the Death Beetle. It was mostly black with an orange face and red legs. It wasn't very big, but like the size of a click beetle. Since it was there, I decided to catch it in a container so I could get it to the person who wanted it. In the process of trying to snatch the beetle, it flared out its wings and these feathery-like strands came out and touched the back of my hand. I felt a prick like a needle and realized that it stung me somehow. Annoyed, I finally managed to catch the thing in a jar without further incidence. The back of my hand still hurt, but not as much as before as I went about what I was doing before, checking my hand periodically because I was worried about the stings. It was then that I saw tiny black specks across my skin. Deeply concerned that it was an allergic reaction, I asked my family nearby, but they didn't know anything. So I went online to see if anything came up, but nothing was. Every so often I kept glancing at the back of my hand, and the spots were bigger, some even merging together as more appeared on my skin. It didn't itch, but I was clearly concerned. The name of the Death Beetle kept coming into my head. It wasn't a deadly insect, was it?! There was still nothing that I could see on the internet, and the skin that was black had no feeling, as though it was dead. Panicked thoughts went through my head as I thought of imminent death and if I shouldn't just find an axe and cut off my hand before it hit my bloodstream and spread, when I looked up my arm and saw a darkening patch spreading there as well. Along with it was a deep crimson line in my arm, and I knew it was already too late, as the blackness seemed to expand before my eyes... It was then that I had enough and forced myself to wake up. I didn't want to see that dream anymore. And oddly enough, the back of my hand hurt because the sheet was wrapped around it. I guess I found the culprit! So yeah, fun times, right? After that I ran a real search and the closest thing I found was the Deathwatch Beetle. But it is harmless and makes a clicking sound in old rafters in the dead of the night, which is creepy and was usually heard by people during a vigil over sick and dying, or otherwise called a 'deathwatch'.
what a trippy dream!
@OneOfMany (12401)
I had a doozy this morning too, but in terms of weirdness. Too weird to post here though. XD
@OneOfMany I tried to save a fish from suffocating the other night in a dream. Last night I was moving, but living at my grams, and she was moving with me, in a pirate ship.
@OneOfMany (12401)
@Jessicalynnt That's a good place to try to save a fish. Just throw it over the side! :D
@Freelanzer (9499)
Just wondering what you ate before bed. Our subconscious plays some weird games.
@OneOfMany (12401)
I have a blood clot I'm a little concerned about at the moment. I think the dream was all about that in a bad scenario. Although my self-diagnosed research indicates that this is benign and at no risk. For peace of mind I'm going in to see someone tomorrow about it.
@OneOfMany good idea, better to be safe
@OneOfMany (12401)
@Freelanzer Yep, that's what I figure. It's better than something going wrong.
I have never heard of a deathwatch beetle.
@OneOfMany (12401)
Neither had I until I looked it up.
@lokisdad (4264)
Dreams that feel real suck and they are sometimes hard to wake up from. Glad it was nothing really to worry about.
@OneOfMany (12401)
All my dreams feel real, but I'm a lucid dreamer, so I was thinking of the real facts while I was dreaming. But it's difficult not to get caught up in the emotions within the dream. I'm glad that my reason for the dream isn't as serious, but it's on my mind all the same.
@Hate2Iron (8022)
lOL... that had to be one terrifying dream and it puts my (seeing a huge bear on our property) to shame. Goodness, you must have awakened in a cold sweat!!
@OneOfMany (12401)
Fortunately I'm used to awful dreams, so I wasn't too terribly shaken. Any dream I can survive isn't that bad! But still, that was terrifying, knowing something was spreading in my body and I couldn't stop it this time (I've had blood poisoning in real life, so it was a high speed reminder of the line of bacteria that ran down my leg at that time).
I remember a dream I had when I was about nine which involved black dots on my face formed in the shape of a triangle. It's one of the only dreams I've had which I've remembered so clearly and for so long. Some dreams are so weird.
@OneOfMany (12401)
Did you wake up and check your face in the mirror? I'm sure you were curious to see if it was there or not! This was more of a nightmare, but it had a slow approach. It's probably a reflection to a blood clot problem I have right now. I'm constantly worried it will spread, but it's superficial and actually healing (half gone now), so I'm sure it won't be a problem for much longer. Good thing too, since it hurts from time to time!