The real reason I was gone a lot of February from My lot

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I am going to admit something I have not admitted to in the middle of February. I was gone from February1-13 as I was in the psyche unit. I want anybody out there who ended up like me to know they are not alone. I had been depressed and suicidal. Abd despite my eight past hospitalizations I was finally discovered to be bipolar and was prescribe Lithium. I a, feeling so different as I am sleeping after one month or two of two or three hours of sleep a night. I now fall asleep almost immediately. Last night I missed the President's speech as I feel asleep before I think 7:30 pm I am also very tired from the lithium and the increase for another med for another problem. Of course, I couldn't take care of Marty hamster while in the hospital, so my case manager was nice enough to care good care of him while I was away
Well it's good that your feeling better now. =) I'm glad your case manager took care of your hamster as well, that was so nice. =)
@lovingmybabies Yes, Susan is a miracle for us. She takes me to my appointments when she can. She is taking me to my psychistrst on Thursday. She really is a big help!
I am so sorry to hear this, but finally an accurate diagnosis can make to find a better treatment to help you. I am glad that someone took care of Marty. I hope you feel better now, rest as much as you can.
@ladyduck yes, it is a weight off my shoulders as I am finally getting the right treatment I had to suffer 34 years. when I first got sick at 11 years old, Yes, that was extremely nice of Susan to take care of Marty. Susan is like a miracle to my life!
@Marty1 Marty is surely happy to see you back. Take care of yourself, now that you have the right treatment you will surely feel better.
@LadyDuck He was sleeping most of the afternoon I got back. I hope Marty was happy I came back
I hope everything works out and that you continue to find relief.
@kandae11 Thank you I have found relief as the new meds are really working.
@Platespinner (19363)
Hopefully having an accurate diagnosis and appropriate medication will help you keep life on a even keel. I don't struggle with mental/emotional issues but I feel for those who do.
@platespinner Yes, I do think it is the right diagnosis I think that because I feel so much better on the lithium Before I went into the hospital i was pacing the floors most nights.
@inertia4 (27000)
I hardly sleep through the night anymore myself these days. If I get five hours sleep I get a lot. I also suffer from depression but will not take any medications for it. I just don't trust them. I deal with it in therapy. I also try to drag myself out of it at times. I am glad you are feeling better and hoe you continue to get better and better.
@inertia4 I am on meds because it a part of life for me as I have been on one med or another all my life from when I was 11 years old. I am heavily medicated as I have a lot of different types of medications. I have a good therapist myself. I see her next Tuesday. Ii am going to my psychiatrist on Thursday (tomorrow) with my case manager
@inertia4 (27000)
@Marty1 Okay. I often wonder if being on meds all those years and from such a young age might have some screwed up effect on you. See, I look at medication as a bad thing. I do believe that those meds for depression cause us to become worse over time. That is just my opinion. And it also become a dependent issue as well.
@inertia4 it actually saved my life being on antidepressives I wish I weren't on medication but accept it as there is some reason I was chosen for them. I am not dependent on them. There have been many days I forgot to take them. In November I got the brilliant idea to go off them on my own without having told my doctor. I was a mess by December. There are other problems that I have not talked about here that I must take this medicine. Thank you for sharing your opinion
@responsiveme (14287)
I think the right medicines will do the work for you. Things will sort themselves out , you take care and don't set tough goals on yourself.Ask your doctor about the right exercise for you.
@arm The reason I am having some problems right now is a blood test I took last Thursday showd my lithium level is way too low in levels and I have to take a blood test again before I se my psychiatrist again in two months. I got back from a 9am appointment today
@Marty1 You keep well and take care. The medicines will do their job but you determine that each day is a gift for us and we will enjoy it to the best we can.
@responsiveme Thank you for the good advice. I am doing pretty well on the lithium but don't know if the antidepressives will ever work. I am unhappy again. Maybe I was never meant to be happy.
Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear this. I am happy you shared this with us and know the medicine will help you once you adjust to it. Thank goodness Marty was well taken care of. That must have been a huge relief to you. That, and getting your diagnosis. Hugs!
@dianneN Yes, Marty was taken care of well, I am doing okay on the lithiul but am so tired I hope iI can adjust to it soon as I have ben sleeping 12 hour or do nights. I don't want it like it was before I wetnt to the hospital of being up all night pacing the floors at 3 am and up by 7 am. Those weren't too good of days. But I want to be able to go to bed at 7 or 8pm and not sleep until late the next morning. My late being 6 am
@Marty1 It will sort itself out.
@DianneN I am hoping everything turns out well.Thank you for the encouragement
@lokisdad (4284)
Take care of yourself. Living with bipolar disorder is no easy task for anyone not the person suffering from it or those who are involoved with the person who suffers from it. The illness affects everyone involved.
@LOKISDAD Yes, it does affect all my family and friends. I will take care of myself
@lokisdad (4284)
@Marty1 good because if you don't you can't take care of anyone else.
@lokisdad I don't take careof human beings, just my hamster Marty. I live alone. I guess I made the correct choice to not have children or even get married
I know we have talked a little bit about this. I am glad that you were able to get diagnosed and are on a forward path. I know it will be qute a bumpy process, but things will smooth out. You won't sleep as weirdly once you've gotten used to the medicine and a good routine. It is important to let the doctors know of any changes you feel, even if it is slight.
@scribbledadnauseum thank you for telling me about medicine. I know I do have a very vivid dream every night. I have a routine sort of. I now have insomnia. It takes many hours to get to sleep
@Marty1 THat is one thing you might want to address with your doctor, the insomnia. They might suggest giving you another prescription. I woul ask if there is a vitamin you could take that would interact with your medicine though. Have you tried drinking sleepy time tea for instance?
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, I will tell my doctor about the sleep at the end of April when I see him again. I had tried the sleepy time tea before I went to the hospital and I don't know if it was the unmedicated bipolar, but it did not work at all. The lithium is working well.
@jhechorain (1220)
• Susanville, California
I am sorry you had to go through such a hard thing like that for so long without figuring out what it was. I am glad you know now and they have helped you.
@jhjhechorian Thank you. Yes they finally found out the problem finally. I was always a little hyper so I think i have had this illness for many years now.
• Susanville, California
It sounds like things are already improving and that is what is important.
@jhechorain Yes, things are changing for the better.
@silvermist (17122)
@Marty1 Afer all these years,a correct diagnosis and a medicine that does give you some relief.So now have proper rest,sleep and food.In short take care.It was nice of your case manager to take care of Marty while you couldn't.
@silvermist I am trying to eat better but it is hard I am getting enough sleep and sleep many hours a night about 12 hours a night. I am hoping that goes away while I still take the medicine. I like how I feel now and am happy I have a proper diagnosis
@silvermist (17122)
@Marty1 Proper diagnosis is one thing that relieves us.
@silvermist I agree as I spent many years being diagnosed with everything else but what I really am.
I am glad Marty was taken care of. And I am glad you got the help you needed. Good for you. I hope you adjust to the meds and feel better soon.
@paigea Thank you. It was my penpal and case manager who decided that it would be best if I was hospitalized. I went to a crisis center first and they evaluted me and decided I should be an in patient My penpal essentially saved my life. i I will try my hardest not to sleep as much
@Marty1 That is great to have a friend like that. Take good care of yourself.
@paigea I am taking care of myself Thanks for the reminder I am blessed to ahev my case manager in my life. I consider my parents gave me her from Heaven
Oh gosh I am sorry to hear that it came down to that and you had to be admitted . . . did it help ? and as far as the Lithium, well they got you for something else. Haven't you had just about enough of pills and stuff and really want to just be healthy @Marty1 ?
@enlightenedpaych2 sure I would love to be without meds but I do not function well without them. I was also in the hospital to tweak my meds as they were not effecting me to do the best they could work. Now they are doing a lot better!
@reskyyandi (3835)
I am not in mylot too in most of february My internet connectuon having trouble so I can online
@RESKYYANDI I am sorry about your internet connection . I hope the probem is fixed now
@Marty1 yeah, the problem had been fixed I changed my internet provider
@magallon (17390)
It's good to know that you are feeling okay now. Right medicine will help you recover better.
@magallon Yes, finally the right medicine! I never thought I wouuld get the right diagnosis. I suspected Bipolar for a long whie now but didn't think I would ever be correctly diagnosed and receive a medicine for it!
@magallon (17390)
@Marty1 that is very good news..
@Fishmomma (11565)
I'm glad your feeling better now. I am happy that Marty was taken care of well by Susan. Big hugs
@fishmomma Thank you very much. I am much better. I am so happy to be able to have a diagnosis that is correct of bipolar after 45 years of life.MY last doctor was treating me for depression and over medicating me. II still has a ton of medicine, but at least I finally have some meds that will help me! Except the lithium doesn't seem to be staying in me as my level of it in blood found by a blood test are way too low.
So sorry that you were not well at all. Glad that you finally got the right disgnosic.
@marlina I am much better Olnly problem is i do not have enough lithium in my blood stream One takes a blood test for lithium levlels and i had mine last week My doctor thinks I am not taking them. But I am!
@ShifaLk (7376)
Oh. Very sorry to hear. Good you are better now.
@shifak guess I messed up. But am much better now
@hereandthere (26104)
if i remember correctly, you also went to a cardiologist last year? i hope that's been resolved, too.
@hereandthere I had a weak heart soi was put on medicine and I go back to see him this coming Monday. I do not know what the visit will be like but I think it should go better. I canceled my ladt appointment because I was up all night being manic. I was up.all last night in a manic episode but have to go see my psychiatrist at 9 am or about an hours Time I do not want to miss this appointment as the doctor has my lithium results of the level. I am going to get dressed now bs my case manager should be here in a half hour !
@thelme55 (13082)
I hope you are feeling better now and that you will be cured in the near future.
@thelme55 Thank you, I am feeling pretty well with the new med so I am hoping it cures me.