Deliberation.

he is the one beside me
@ridingbet (58015)
So this was our activity in school after we took our salary (of 2 days!). Our dean of the college of nursing talked to us part-time clinical instructors, to help in the deliberation of the level 4 graduating students who among them are fit to receive the Clinical Efficiency award. The dean particularly mentioned me because I always put some comments and recommendations in the grading sheets of the students. Since level 2 until level 4 exposures to the wards, we deliberated on the hopefuls. I told the level coordinator, the dean, and the clinical coordinator about the students’ attitudes and skills in the medical ward. I even told them about a female student who was not good in the area, another who gets absent from duty, and another one who is working on her own and not communicating with her peers; how I asked them, “Are you sure I should sign these letters of intent? Are you sure you should receive the award?” We were able to narrow down the hopefuls to only 3. Then the level coordinator signified why a male student who does well in the area did not submit an intent letter. His initial is JAT. I handled this student since his second year, and even now that he is fourth year, he works excellent. (He was my student to volunteer inserting an indwelling Foley catheter to a postpartum patient in the OB ward). He is assertive, jolly, serious with his work, and friendly, but he has average grades only. The dean said he should be given a citation. I then told my colleagues to inform him to make a letter of intent and let me sign first. My other colleagues approved of my suggestion too because JAT was excellent in practically all areas in the hospital. Few hours ago, our doorbell rang; and there he was outside, smiling. I signed his letter of intent with my complete signature (not my initials), and wished him good luck. I don’t have favorite students, I am impartial, but this student-I appreciate his hard work so much. He is really bent on becoming a successful professional nurse.
This is not a normal job, being a nurse requires passion and you surely spot those students that are cut for this job.
@ridingbet (58015)
ys that is true. we clinical instructors,aside from assisting the students with working in the area, should also keep an open mind into evaluating the students under our supervision, because they will be like us-professional nurses. the student is a future and successful nurse, the way i see him.
@ridingbet I know that not everybody is cut to become a nurse. This is not a job like any other, you need to have a lot of patience and love and respect for the patients. I am glad that this student will become a successful nurse.
@ridingbet (58015)
@LadyDuck that is so true, my dear. not all can have the calling, and even though one is intelligent as regards knowledge, if she is not as skillful as a persevering student, then nursing is not for her. i usually ask my students on the first day of their duty (the second level students) if who ask them to take the course. if they answer it was their parents, then i would tell them to shift course if they do not have the enthusiasm to study nursing
@shshiju (10571)
• Cochin, India
Nursing field need much care and dedication, brilliant student should must appreciated. You are a good teacher and nurse.
@ridingbet (58015)
thanks for the compliment. actually, all nurses who teach students in skills are good teachers, because we must share our knowledge and skills to those who also want to care for the sick.
@shshiju (10571)
• Cochin, India
@ridingbet There lot of nurses here in Kerala who work here and abroad.
@ridingbet (58015)
@shshiju yes and i had some Indian colleagues too when i worked in Kuwait.
It certainly works differently over here, but we all want intelligent, kind, and wonderful nurses.
@ridingbet (58015)
so, the nursing students there don't give letters of intent, am i right? they should be evaluated by the superiors, their instructors, and maybe the patients they handle? yes, i agree with you; nurses should have the heart to give care to patients even with different race and color, and most of all, religion.
@sunrisefan (19152)
You mean to say that a student needs to sign a letter of intent to receive an award? It would seem like the student is asking for the award. An award should be given, not solicited. Just my opinion though :)
@ridingbet (58015)
It is a policy of the school as ordered by the CHED.i asked the same question to the dean why the students should submit their letters of intent and let us sign for approval. He said it is the new process now. There were some students in the past that I did not sign. Anyway not all who gave letters were considered for the award. That is why there is deliberation.
@sunrisefan (19152)
@ridingbet Ah okay. I still feel it's not right. I'm sure many deserving students would be shy to submit a letter of intent. It would seem they're begging to be awarded. Have to log out for now. Going to the mall. Be back later :)
@ridingbet (58015)
@sunrisefan so, how are you now, my co-basketball buff? what time will the game 4 start? hope our team wins. NSD
@ShifaLk (8398)
Hey, you are the who's nursing professor right? Wow finally I could remember you, hope I'm not wrong..
@ridingbet (58015)
yes i am my friend. i remember you as the medical technologist who has a husband, and i think your last discussion was you attended the birthday celebration of a niece. your avatar also showed a jolly you. i am a clinical instructor, not a professor, my friend.
@ShifaLk (8398)
@ridingbet oh yes yes. Right Wow it's good to see. I always thought you were a professor /tutor.
@ridingbet (58015)
@ShifaLk no, i am not. i have my masters of science in nursing but i am not into the doctorate degree, so i am categorized as an instructor. no, i am not a tutor.
@JustBhem (41728)
• Davao, Philippines
You did the right thing my friend. Being a nurse needs patience and understanding.
@ridingbet (58015)
thanks much my dear
@JustBhem (41728)
• Davao, Philippines
@ridingbet You are welcome.
You are a good nurse and teacher my friend. You don't play favoritism. And just like you I like someone who really has dedication to what he is doing.
@ridingbet (58015)
we help in the molding of the students and to you, your subordinates, my lady, because that is their future.
@ridingbet I agree.
I hope the students who work hard have great success in the field of being a nurse.
@ridingbet (58015)
yes, i hope so too. some students however, were forced to take the course because their parents hope to receive dollars from their future nurses when their kids work abroad.
How wonderful he came to your door!!! I am wishing him good luck too!
@ridingbet (58015)
yes because that was my strict order to him. i really wanted him to bring me the letter first and sign it. hope the level coordinator received his letter today because this day is the deadline.
He may turn out to be a very successful nurse.
@ridingbet (58015)
i really hope so too he will.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi po. So this is the one. And even if he has body issues. Dedicated but is he able to resolve his issues?
@ridingbet (58015)
i hope so, hija. but he is not that one beside me, okay. that now-colleague of mine beside me is the student who volunteered to insert an indwelling Foley catheter to a lady in obstetric ward.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@ridingbet Oh. Was he a good student too po?
@ridingbet (58015)
@mlgen1037 yes he was good in skills but not much on knowledge
Sounds like your students are in good hands with you!
@ridingbet (58015)
yes, i think and believe so too
@ridingbet hopefully, he wins the award.
@ridingbet (58015)
@allen0187 maybe not the clinical efficiency award, my friend, but a citation will do. he has average grades only, so a citation of his assertiveness in the areas will be a moral booster for him
@megatron777 (3777)
• Guam
Well done.
@ridingbet (58015)
thanks.
• Guam
@ridingbet No problem mam.
@ridingbet (58015)
@megatron777 are you a Filipino, or an Indian?
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
I thought it is their grades which quality them? So there is deliberation? Thank you for assisting the male nurse
@ridingbet (58015)
yes definitely the students should have the average grade of 85% in order to be given the clinical efficiency award. my student has a general average lower than 85% but he is excellent in skills. and a citation is good for him, because we honor his capability to work even in stressful situations
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@ridingbet He earned it really
@Nawsheen (22988)
• Mauritius
You are a good teacher
@ridingbet (58015)
thank you.
@Nawsheen (22988)
• Mauritius
@ridingbet you are welcomed
@reskyyandi (3689)
That is not a normal job for him. But it is really great
@ridingbet (58015)
what? being a nurse? nursing vocation is for men and women.it is a good profession to take care of the sick.
@ilocosboy (35992)
That's really nice the choosing of the nurse students are among you and only the Dean to point the excelled one. How I wish all institutions are like this.
@ridingbet (58015)
i think in some colleges and universities, it is the instructors who deliberate without any letters of intent from the hopeful students. thy may base it from the grades and valuation of the teachers.
@Morleyhunt (20480)
There are some who are cut out for the task...ther are others who are academically excellent but hav poor relationship skills.
@ridingbet (58015)
i agree. there are students who are academically excellent but very poor in skills. the 3 hopefuls that received our nods were all good both in knowledge and skills. that female student i mentioned in my discussion was poor in skills but very active in extra-curricular activities, and i asked her if she really wanted to give me the letter of intent
@prinzcy (5058)
When it come to grading, it's important to be professional. Playing favourite won't help their future. May he become a very good nurse in the future. It's rare for male nurse as I often seen woman in the business. He must have caught your attention well to received your recommendation.
@ridingbet (58015)
yes, nurses before were females, but since late 70's, there was a rise in male students taking up nursing.