What Is As Bad As Fear of Heights ?

mexico, pyramids
Germany
When visiting Mexico, tourists must visit the Pyramids of Teotihuacán. They’re about 45 km away from Mexico-City. Many years ago we were touring the country with a group but we went to these sights alone. In contrast to Egypt some of the ones in Mexico can be climbed. I seem to remember that it is the Sun Pyramid tourists climb up (there are several). A wide staircase runs up in the middle of the sides. A chain is fastened in the middle of the staircase from top to bottom which people may grab. I did get up. The stairs are so steep that people don't walk but climb on all fours either supporting themselves by grabbing the chain or by holding onto the stones. The climbers are bent over, their heads near the steps. Hardly anybody looks down on the way up but concentrates on the effort. High up near the top is a ledge on which climbers rest and enjoy the view. I could look at the overall view. The ledge conveyed a relatively safe feeling. But I couldn't look down and I knew I'd never get down again! The angle of the staircase is 45°. So, if you look down, you don't see single steps protruding one below the other, only a more or less even, steep slope. I was stiff with anxiety. Good God, I must have been mad to go up! I felt horrible. How could I make this clear to my husband? I asked him what the most horrible thing was for him so that he could feel with me. He had done his military service in the air force and parachuted twice. But what did he answer? . . . . . . . . . . . . You'll never guess! . . . . . . . . . . . . He said, "Eating yeast dumplings with blueberries." This had been my favourite dish during my childhood. When I was 11 years old, my mother and I moved away from my grandmother and her delicious yeast dumplings and I only rarely ate them later. Whenever I visited my grandmother, she prepared the dish (it's a main dish, not a dessert). Once my husband accompanied me on a family visit and was offered it, too. Little did my relatives know that on the Italian island of Sardinia where he's from people eat meat, meat and then meat. If you think, "How unhealthy!", think again. Sardinians, together with the inhabitants of a Greek island, are the longest living people in Europe. Anyways, now you know that fear of heights and yeast dumplings are on the same level on the horror scale! I'm writing this from the German town where I live now. So you know that I did get down in the end. Backwards and on all fours. My husband has never had to eat yeast dumplings again. --- photo: José Miguel Hernández Hernández (flickr)
Great story!
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's a lot of steps. I wouldn't last. I too have a fear of heights as well.
@Hate2Iron @KristenH One can't conquer it, can one?
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@MALUSE I guess not. It's liking climbing to the top of the Statute of lIberty too.
@KristenH But you're *inside* the statue, aren't you? You don't look at the open surroundings when climbing down.
@xFiacre (4278)
@maluse Going up is always so easy and we don't give much thought to how we'll get back down again. I would find your experience in Mexico most difficult. I cant even watch such things on TV.
Do you know the photo of Buster Keaton clinging to one hand of a giant clock in a sky scraper with the traffic far down below in the street? Just thinking of it gives me the creeps.
@xFiacre (4278)
@MALUSE Yes, but I can't watch that sort of thing!
@LeaPea2417 (19166)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I seriously have a fear of heights. I would not go up those steps!
@ LeaPea2417 One can't conquer it, can one?
@LeaPea2417 (19166)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@MALUSE No, I get such a weird feeling, it is best for me not to climb too high.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
It looks quite frightening the climb. I love what your hubby told you - ha ha ha but it would not have taken my mind off the terrible fear I have of heights, so I probably would not venture up and it would be a shame on me.
@garymarsh6 (13199)
And hopefully you won't have to climb it again! I too would be like you I am literally petrified of heights so much so I actually shake with fear! The daft thing is though I would have to do it if I were there otherwise I would regret not doing it!
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I'd like try the dumplings. When it comes to heights I find it is being attached to the ground that does for me, but as long as I don't think about how high I am I can do it. As soon as I realise I need to get down
• Portland, Connecticut
We went to the Mayan pyramids but did not climb up not from fear of heights but it is just plain dangerous. I opted to take pictures from the bottom.
@pammooratan (4684)
I have never gone such hight. Once I went a small hill near our town.
@suhail1 (940)
• Manila, Philippines
For me ,i love going higher and higher , find a spot and enjoy the downview
Lol! I guess that was a terrible experience but a good memories to share with. God bless and have a great day. I don't know if I have a great memories to share looking back... Heheheh God bless.
That is a new dish to me. I have never heard of yeast dumplings and blueberries before is it a dessert ?
No, it's eaten as a main dish in Saxony (in the south-east of Germany) where I was born.
@MALUSE is it sweet ?
@Tampa_girl7 Yes, it is.
Mike and I been there many,many years ago.We both climb it.
Did you have no problems climbing down?
@MALUSE No I did not.Keep in mind I was younger at that time.No Fear.LOL Mike and I done fine.Now you got me thinking to dig out the photos which I have so many and not catalog. If I do will show you .
@MALUSE I now remember we went to the top a and there was a room sort.But the jaguar what I remember the most.
• Pamplona, Spain
What a comparison. You made it down the Stairs then. People become afraid of somethings for no particular reason at all. It really does happen.
Phobias rarely have a particular reason.
• Pamplona, Spain
@MALUSE I have known people get scared for no apparent reason and then after they are okay. Just one of those things.
I wrestle with the fear of heights. When I travel to Puerto Rico to see my relatives, I have to take a plane. I have managed to get used to traveling by plane but if I had my way, I would drive. Maybe a bridge to the Caribbean? Who knows?
Strangely, I have no problems sitting in a plane.
@tzwrites (4622)
I don't like heights so I'm sure I would not go up. But I really like yeast dumplings so I would rather eat a dozen of those than go up any day.
You're the first to mention yeast dumplings in a positive way!
@valmnz (12638)
• New Zealand
I chuckled all the way through reading this I agree with you, going up is often easier than going down.
Have you experienced something similar?
• Austin, Texas
LOL. That's got to be a true story. You can't make that up! The things we do for love. I can picture you standing high up, full blown panic attack, wondering “Am I nuts?!! Why did I do this?” and your husband eating those dumplings and thinking “I can do this. I love my wife.”
It *IS* a true story! If we compare our level of suffering, I think I'm allowed to say that I suffered more. My husband didn't fear for his life while eating dumplings. :-)
You've made me want to visit here so much. But, you've also made me not want to visit here so much!!
What a dilemma! :-)
When I was younger I would have been able to climb without a problem - I would stand at the edge of large drop-offs to get a picture and once clung to rocks running up the side of a waterfall. Now, I am not so sure I could do it. That may now be my greatest fear.
My vertigo has become worse with age. I think that's the normal development.