Kindergarten Hairdresser

@Morleyhunt (19856)
It's not uncommon! Many children try it! My daughter cut her own hair...in grade two....the day before her school picture. Today, my four year old granddaughter Sandra came home from school with at least 4 inches (10cm) cut off the end of her braid. Apparently something sharp fell, close to her braid....and the piece that came off, landed in her back pack. A visit to the hairdresser has been scheduled for Saturday morning. My daughter waited until Sandra was in bed before laughing and sharing her story.
Oh my gosh they all do it lol That is too funny.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Most children do this at some time. Thank goodness she has long hair and they cut it off the bottom...not hacked of a pigtail. That would have been a lot harder to hide.
@Morleyhunt that is for sure. I've know kids who have cut their own bangs way too short or a chunk out of the front. lol
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@Happy2BeMe one of my granddaughters lost her side braid to her brothers scissors....she was 3, he was 4.5.
my son was four his sister three they were playing together then I heard no no Wobbie lisa does not want her hair cut I flew to their bedroom Robbie had got his little scissors caught in her curls no hair had been cut yet. thank Goodness I scolded my son Robbie and he said I have to have my hair cut all the time why does Lisa not have to have her hair cut. I told him little girls grew long hair and boys had short hair.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
As parents we learn to recognize sounds...or lack thereof which sends us running....hopefully in time to stop whatever mischief the children are into,
Every child I know did this, I did not. Why? we cut our barbie dolls hair
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I do t remember cutting my hair either....I had really thin hair that took forever to grow when I was a child. I do remember cutting the ears off my teddy bear.....I have no idea why.
@carexing25 (1827)
like mother, like daughter?
@Morleyhunt (19856)
My first thought. Payback...Sandra's was almost waist length. By the time the hairdresser has it fixed it will be closer to,shoulder length.
Oh my goodness, I suppose that we have all tried something like this when we were children.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Kids will be kids. hair will grown back....adults will giggle.
@Morleyhunt Yes, it takes time but hair grow back.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@LadyDuck her hair is thick and seems to grow quickly. At least they took it off the bottom....a bit hacked off. But she will have at least six inches (15cm) less length by Saturday.
I was about 3 or 4 when I decided to cut my hair. I cut my bangs (they were the style for little girls back then) as far back as I could, and I also cut the hair on my big doll. Dolls with real hair were relatively hard to get at that time, but I received one for Christmas a few months earlier and I guess that I must have thought that her and I needed matching hair cuts. My mother still has that doll, with her hair do missing the bangs!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I didn't cut my hair or my dolls hair, but I cut the ears off my teddy bear when I was about 3 or 4. I have no idea what prompted that.
@Morleyhunt I think that you must have had something in mind......maybe you wanted to practise your sewing techniques!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@Juliaacv sewing didn't happen until much, much later. My sewing skills...even in high school,were abysmal. Having children and no money was a great way to learn.
@ridingbet (55780)
oh, it is nice if the fringes were not too short in her forehead.kids want to discover.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Thank goodness her's was off the back..when her mother cut her hair she cut her bangs ....to about 1 inch.
@ridingbet (55780)
@Morleyhunt but she still looked good with the short bangs,right?
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@ridingbet it was her braid they cut off not her bangs. Her hair will be much shorter when she gets home from the hairdresser later this morning.
@1hopefulman (30050)
Really! I often trim my hair in-between barber visits as some areas go faster than others. Weird!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I've trimmed my own hair too when desperate and having no time...but when four year olds tackle the hair trimming it doesn't end well.
@1hopefulman (30050)
@Morleyhunt I have two daughters and remember my daughters cutting their hair a couple of times. Though it happened decades ago I am still laughing. I now have a grand-daughter that is a hairdresser.
I don't remember cutting my own hair, but I did my daughter's. It got shorter and shorter as I was trying to match the sides up - she ended up with a pixie haircut.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
She'll have a cute haircut tomorrow after the hairdressers fixes it up.
That is a cute story. A trip to te hairdresser will fi the hair.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Saturday morning...the appointment was made last night....the hairdresser said...i will fit her in!
I'm sorry to laugh but I've been there when either one of my children did this or one of my grandchildren. Luckily she has long hair and didn't chop off the top
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Don't feel bad laughing. My daughter told me is was almost impossible to keep a straight face as her earnest four year old explained that something sharp fell near her hair....and that h hair somehow fell into her (closed?) backpack. Once the child was in bed...photos were shared on Facebook as well as a lot of amusement and horror.
@UncleJoe (10282)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I was afraid to cut my hair after my dad's reaction to my cutting my little sister's hair. He couldn't seem to appreciate art.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I had to give one of my children an emergency haircut...as the school bus was coming down the road. She had a wad of gum mashed into her waist length hair. She went to,school that morning with a cute page style.
@Hate2Iron (7953)
lol... guess that I got off lightly lol. Neither of mine ever decided to play hairstylist!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Of my five, I think two of them played hairdresser, but only one was difficult to hide.
@Lucky15 (33753)
My 4 year old niece just had her hair cut. to think her hair is don't grow fast, nay!
• Midland, Michigan
That's a funny story. What kids will say can keep adults laughing for a long time. Since she blamed something sharp for cutting the braid I'm a bit surprised she kept the piece. Is it long enough for the group's that collect hair for cancer patients? I sort of wonder whether a story was shared related to that
@Morleyhunt (19856)
We think (unconfirmed) that hair donation was discussed at school. The pieces that were found in her back pack were not long enough. I believe they require 10 inches....the pieces in her backpack were around 4 inches long. I'm sure this story will be shard many times over the years. This is the stuff memories are made of.
• Midland, Michigan
@Morleyhunt It makes sense to me that she heard the story, maybe it's introduced at around that age since I think my brother's granddaughter did the same at about that age.
That is funny. I can't recall anyone I knew ever trying that but then we were in transit when I was 6 so who knows, I sure didn't try it, ma woulda had a fit if I did.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Having had a child cut their hair...I was distressed...but the damage was done....couldn't be undone....getting mad wasn't going to fix it. Now this same child gets to see how this plays out. Payback can be fun to watch.
A mothers sweet revenge @Morleyhunt
@reskyyandi (3690)
In my religion, a female forbidden to cut her hair
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Could be a oriblem when children use scissors....it seems hair is often one if the things that gets cut. Why is it forbidden for women to cut their hair? Is it a written (Bible, Quran, or other) or is it a man made unwritten addition ?
Hopefully the hairdresser can style it nicely
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I'm sure we'll see tomorrow morning at church.
@Platespinner (16783)
I'm curious to know what really happened!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
One thing I know.....scissors and her hair had a very close connection. I'm sure the details will come out a little at at time. It sounds like a grade 1 on the bus and our lovely Sandra had a brilliant?? Idea.
Aren't they gorgeous? Luckily no school photos scheduled for Sandra I guess.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
School pictures were done months ago. Her hair will just be quite a bit shorter when I see her at church this weekend.