Such a Sad Encounter

My husband and I decided to walk Molly at Ty Warner Park. This park was created for our suburb by the Beanie Baby inventor, Ty Warner. The park is gorgeous. Both my husband and I noticed a lady sitting on a small folding camp chair with her dog lying by her side. The lady's dog became interested in Molly, and the dog and lady slowly walked toward us. The lady told us she brings her sickly dog to the park on nice days so that he can lie down and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. The lady said her 11-year-old dog may have cancer, and she is waiting for the test results. She told us her dog has been very lethargic lately and has been eating dirt. Dogs who are losing important nutrients often eat dirt to get the nutrition their bodies are craving. The worry showed on this lady's face. The dog being ill also was quite apparent. I know this lady will be heartbroken, as all owners who dearly love their pets, if her dog is diagnosed with a disease that will probably end his life. Seeing an owner going to great lengths to make sure her beloved pet still gets to enjoy life to the best of its ability was both heartbreaking and heartwarming to us. I am praying that I see this lady and her dog walking in the park, happy and healthy, the next time we take Molly for a walk.
That is so sad. I will also say a prayer for her and her dog. It is heartbreaking when our pets become sick. It is nice that she takes him out to enjoy the park even though he is not well.
Thank you so much for your prayers. I pray each morning for this lady and her dog. She brings the dog every day and sits with him so that he can enjoy the outdoors. One man has a dog that is now blind, and he puts the dog in a stroller for dogs each day, and wheels the pup around the park.
@Corbin5 What a kind owner. I saw a YouTube clip the other day of 6 or 8 dogs all with multiple limbs missing and fitted with wheeled carriage affairs. They were having a great time chasing balls.
@Corbin5 there isn't anything a pet owner wouldn't do for their fur kids. My niece got a stroller for her little pug because she is getting old.
Heres hoping that a miracle happens and the poor dog gets well again so he and his owner can have some wonderful days yet
Thank you for your kind words Patsie. I am praying that the dog is suffering from the ulcer so that he has a few more years with his owner.
@Corbin5 I sure hope the poor doggie recovers and he ahd his owner can enjoy a few more years together
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Corbin5 We think diet is critical, just as it is for humans. We are fortunate enough to know what we know and also have filtered water for our pets. Not everyone does or could provide what we can.
@AutumnSnow (4583)
That is so sad. I cant imagine having to go through something like that its sweet to know though that she is going to such lengths for her dog.
She really is doing all she can to keep her dog happy. I do hope the diagnosis is not cancer. I hope to see this lady and her dog again.
I'm sorry to hear that. So sad...
Yes, it is sad. I am praying the pup will have a few more years with his owner who loves him so much.
@louievill (19633)
Heart warming and heart breaking, very true but everything has an end, just a reminder to us to enjoy a good thing while it lasts, my prayers for her and her dog.
Thank you for your prayers. Yes, everything must end, but a prayer or two just may extend the time the two have together.
That would be her happiest day if it was something curable. I will also put in a prayer. I do offer in my prayers ever night for the Lord to protect all children and animals.
Thank you for the prayer. I include the same as you do in my prayers every morning. With both of us praying for the same, I think God my hear us. Things really have improved for animals over the years, and children too. He must hear us.
@bunnybon7 (37399)
• Holiday, Florida
oh me too. i hate seeing someone else go through the pain i recently did. dogs get older way to quick
I agree. I do wish dogs had much longer lives. It is so painful to lose a beloved pet that one has cared for for a long period of time.
Oh good, now I'm crying....I shouldn't read these stories...
I cry trying to write the responses to the comments. I told her I would pray for her pup. We are both praying that the diagnosis is not cancer. It will be pure joy if I see her and her pup again and he is doing OK for an 11-year-old dog.
@Morleyhunt (20693)
My daughter was dog sitting my daughter in laws dog when Whizzer expired. We could share with my daughter inlaw the story about Whizzers last day. Whizzer and my dog Fifi were in separate apartments..all afternoon they chatted back and forth. One would give a bark...the other would answer....this went on all afternoon. Their barking was not especially loud nor was it incessant...you just heard a woof every little while, followed by an answering woof.
Thank you so much for telling me about Fifi and Whizzer!! How wonderful they communicated with each other. So glad you could share the last day of Whizzers with your daughter.
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have offered special foods and other things to some with ill pets. Knowing we can help is one thing, but some won't do what has to be done. Is this someone who will accept some assistance?
Well, this was the first time we have talked to this lady, and I do believe that her veterinarian is good one and she did not say anything about needing help. She is just hoping the diagnosis is not cancer.
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Corbin5 Most pets die of cancer. How sad is that? Think it is something in the food or water? What else could it be.
@PatZAnthony Since dogs and cats live longer these days due to veterinary care and not being prey, cancer is more common. Old age seems to be the reason for an increase in cancer in dogs and cats. Purebreds, like Labrador Retrievers and Golden Retrievers, are dogs with an increased risk of cancer. I assume that some dogs are just predisposed to cancer like humans. I do think diet may play a part, but I will have to research that.
That is tough. I remember 8 years ago when our beloved Nayla was near the end. We cried so hard the day that she had to be put down, and for weeks after that we both felt such a void. Then one evening we turned on a PPV, which was Marley and Me. Boy.....was that ever a mistake! Marley went just as quickly and mysteriously as our Nayla did. My husband and I cleaned out our tear ducts that weekend!
Just seen her sitting with her dog in the park, something she does every day, touched our heart. Yes, our hearts break when we lose our beloved pets. You two had to cry all over again watching Marley and Me. One just gets numb due to the void that is left. It takes such a long time to recover.
@Corbin5 I was thinking of Nayla the other day, and I know that it sounds weird, but sometimes I still feel like her spirit is in the house with me.
That poor woman there.I know what she is going through.I have been there.Not sure if the dog will make it.But good luck and God bless
Yes, those of us who have been through it, know the pain that is coming her way if things do not turn out well.
@Corbin5 I was in pain for a very long time.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hope it does not have that. It could be something else treatable. Love to her and her dog poor Lady.
I am so hoping for something treatable. She will be crushed if not.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Has she found out what it is yet then? Fingers crossed its just one of those ailments that is treatable and she lives longer.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I will take Molly to that part next week, and I do hope we run into this lady and her dog and I also hope the news is good.
This would be very sad to see. As you say, she will be heartbroken if she has to lose her companion.
Yes, my hope is that I see the lady and her pup again and the news is good.
@Corbin5 Grrr. I had a typo in my comment. It's fixed now. I hate coming back and finding that but it's happening more and more often. Have you seen the lady yet? It's only a day or so I know.
@JudyEv No, not yet. We used to have our house right next to the park and would go there with Molly all the time. We downsized to a ranch home in the same suburb, so we do not go to that park as often since we have to drive to the park now. I will walk Molly there again soon, and I do hope to see this lady and her pup. I have some comments on this site that have errors. I go way too fast when typing comments when I should take my time and read them over and fix errors.
I feel so bad for the lady and the dog. I really hope the dog does not have cancer. The lady is very special to give her dog as much happiness if the dog has cancer.
Yes, such a sad thing to hear about such a wonderful dog.
@Corbin5 It really was and hope that the lady and the dog have many good years together Deborah.
I thought that my heart would break when I lost one of my beloved kitties to cancer
I know. I bet you were grief-stricken for such a long time. We have lost many a pet too. Makes an owner numb for a very long time.
@Corbin5 the waves of grief were horrible
• Walnut Creek, California
To many of us, our fur friends are as important as our hairless ones. I'm among those.
Yes, those fur friends are a gift to all who have the privilege to love one.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 I still miss my horse, but I'm getting to the point where I can sniff the noses of other horses (how horses greet) and not feel sad.
That is heartbreaking. I remember getting that news regarding Pip. It was the saddest and hardest day of my life when I had to put her down.
• Walnut Creek, California
I still miss my horse. It will be two years this March 27.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Bo will always be a part of your life and memories. Molly too. My horse was with me for 23 years, which is longer than many marriages last! But I have not forgotten my Summer Camp best friend, Gary, who was a gelding maybe five years younger than I was.
That is really sad. Hope the dog would be better so that the lady would not be sad anymore.
Yes, I do hope I run into the lady and her dog again and that she has good news to tell me.
@Corbin5 when you do, tell us about it.
@nottoooldtowrite I sure will!
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Oh no! I can't even imagine what she might be going through. Hope the test results are negative and dog isn't having any serious issue. Also please let me know if you see them again.
I will let you know for sure!!! I was just amazed at how she brings him to the park each day and she sits with him so that he can enjoy the outdoors. However, I know you would do the same. Me too.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
@Corbin5 oh I don't know about myself. I will be heart broken and I might be the one needing cheering up.