How to wash stripes?

@Fleura (7197)
United Kingdom
So we all know about separating the ‘laundry into whites’ and ‘coloureds’ to try to avoid making all the bright colours fade and making the whites that dull greyish washed-up colour – but what do you do with something that’s an equal mix? I don’t know if there’s a right answer to this, I really don’t know what to do – sometimes I put things like this in with whites, and sometimes with dark colours. Anyone know which is best? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2017.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
My motto is throw 'em all into the machine and see what comes out!
Yay! A man who takes risks....and does laundry!
@Fleura (7197)
Yes, or just wear black all the time!
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
@CoralLevang There is only me to do it! The moggie doesn't want to know
I have not separated clothes by color in many years. I wash in cold water, all clothing together. The only time I had a problem was washing a red sweater that was new and it did turn white socks pink...but eventually the pink washed out. I do wash my towels by themselves and wash my sheets by themselves. I don't own any striped clothing.
@TheSojourner (17304)
I think it all depends on the quality of the brand, and materials used. I go for a quick delicates wash in cold water and a hanger- or line-dry, or flat-dry on absorbent cotton towels.
@Fleura (7197)
The problem is I don't have enough of one type of thing to do a special wash! And not enough time to wash everyone's 'delicates' by hand!
@Fleura I use a delicates setting on my washer. and then line dry in my laundry room. But it's just me.
@Fleura (7197)
@CoralLevang At least all our stuff is line dried.
I never wash in the machine, but separately and only using cold water because it helps to keep the colored stripes from fading.
@Fleura (7197)
With four people's washing to do I don't have time for that sort of tender loving care any more!
@Fleura So you have to take the risk. In this case, I would wash with colour, so you do not risk to stain the white.
As long as you are not using hot water and the colors are colorfast, I would use white. But I often make what I call a lights, which is for other lighter colors .
@1creekgirl (11946)
I have that problem also. I guess it depends on if the dark stripes will bleed.