Some Scary Facts You Might Need To Consider

Did you know that “Dryers…start about 6,000 home fires every year?” The cause can be a defective dryer or excess LINT that was never cleaned out. AARP Bulletin says: “Check the lint traps after EVERY load,” and remove the lint. In the same AARP Bulletin (April 2016) I read this: “Lawn Mowers…cause some 80,000 injuries each year.” The article suggested that you “wear sturdy shoes and eye protection and check your yard for stones and other debris that can be thrown by your mower.” 80,000 is a BIG number. This article also mentioned “blenders” with “9,000 blender injuries in 2014.” And “toasters” which “cause thousands of fires – including several fatal ones – each year…” I always unplug my toaster after I use it. And I always make sure the lint is removed from the dryer after each load. FIRE is something that really scares me. AARP Bulletins have lots of safety suggestions. I usually read all the articles that I can. Another article in the same magazine mentioned putting a Carbon Monoxide alarm on each floor of your dwelling. And, to “test for mold… every three to five years.” And to kill dust mites on your pillow, it said to “place a pillow in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for 24 hours…” I had never heard of doing that before. This would be especially important for those who have allergies. This article said that “around 18,000 Americans die every year from accidental injuries in their homes. Almost 38,000 older adults annually are treated in emergency rooms just for tripping over carpets and rugs.” I thought this information was important enough to share. I hope you take it to heart. Be safe not sorry.
• Uzbekistan
The statistics about accidents at home in Germany aren't better. People put a chair on a table to get at a lamp to change a light bulb! Not surprisingly, many fall down, break their bones or even lose their lives.
@OneOfMany (12401)
Common sense was not taught in schools, unfortunately!
• Uzbekistan
@OneOfMany I don't think that teachers should teach common sense. That would be ridiculous. It should come from the families.
• Uzbekistan
@IreneVincent Goodness gracious! Stupidity is indeed boundless. I think you should turn this into a proper post.
@OneOfMany (12401)
My toaster is unplugged whenever it isn't in use, and I only run the dryer while I am home. Once I opened it up and it was smoking because the dryer sheet got caught on the heating element in the back. I unplugged it and made sure things were good before I ever started it again. I always empty the lint out after every load, even if there is only a trace amount there. I was even pulling the battery out of my laptop recently, just because I got cautious of it.
Good for you. You can't be TOO careful, that's for sure.
@OneOfMany (12401)
@IreneVincent That's for sure. :D
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
A pillow would be rather uncomfortable after 24 hours in a freezer.
Well, of course, you would have to let it warm up again before using it.
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
@IreneVincent That would improve the situation.
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
So many do not give their dryers a thorough cleaning. Dust mites: Wouldn't running things through a washer and/or dryer solve this issue? Yes- Those accidental injuries should always be considered.
Some pillows can't be washed, like feather or down pillows.
Accidents in the home happen so easily. I rarely use my dryer but I always remove the lint each time.
I would like for my son to clean out the entire tube that runs from the dryer to the outside wall. I think it needs to be done often.
@IreneVincent I hadn't thought about that tube. I don't even know if we have one.
@JudyEv We have that tube and its quite long because of where the laundry room is, so I worry that it is full of lint even though I clean out the lint filter in the dryer itself.
@FayeHazel (21326)
Thanks for the head's up. I know I "killed" a dryer once. Smelled like smoke. I have also lit 2 pieces of toast on fire with a toaster. So I learned never to leave toaster unattended.
I'm glad you weren't hurt and obviously you learned a lesson. Thank goodness, you weren't hut.
@salonga (27955)
Don't leave them unattended. Indeed it is better be safe than to be sorry.
I don't let the dryer run if I'm going out and I don't run it at night when I'm sleeping. Both of these ideas are very dangerous, but a LOT of people do it.
@Ronrybs (7908)
• London, England
There is problem with dryers overhere and the maufacturer is having to go around modifying them. My mum had hers fixed last month. There have been a lot of fires involving dodgy machines
Oh dear. That's not good. Dryers really can be dangerous.
This is really good information. thanks for sharing it with us. I unplug my toaster after each use and I clean out the filter in the dryer.
That's good. Everyone needs to remember to do that.
I don't have a dryer but when I use them, cleaning out the lint trap is force of habit.
You would think that a person would know that. But, most of the time, they are just lazy or in a hurry.
@pammooratan (4676)
What record of deaths and injuries. It's very sad.I think government should take suitable steps.
Unfortunately, I don't think that the government can do much about accidents that happen when people don't follow a safe method of doing things.
@Nawsheen (22955)
• Mauritius
Thanks for sharing. Informative
@1creekgirl (12428)
I would never leave any kind of appliance going if I'm not at home. I always unplug everything also.