Starting our days with a new positive way of thinking

This morning the sun is shining and it looks warner out. I woke up excited upon seeing that. My son sat down to the computer to start cyber school and I told him "I am going to have a good day today. Every day I wake up I'm going to tell myself that I am going to have a good day" I told him he should say that to himself every day that he wakes up as well. He looked at me with a look of disgust and said "That is not truthful it is not going to happen" I had to hold back a lot. He's so negtive. I told him its the power of positive thinking an that if we say it every day it might help change our way of thinking. He said "imagine if that did work" and laughed. I said it would be awesome and I'm going to try. I added an updated photo of our caterpillar so you can see how it's changed a little more.
I truly believe in the power of positive thinking and prayer.
I am hoping it will help :-)
Do you keep a caterpillar as a pet? I hope that your son listens to you and try to be a bit more positive.
Yes we found this caterpillar on our floor the day after Valentine's Day. Since there was snow all over the ground am was worried about putting it outside and it dying. I assume it came in on the rose bush my boyfriend gave me. So we kept it. It started out a bright pretty green but is getting lots more black markings now and has doubled in length.
@shaggin You surely saved its life.
@LadyDuck We are anxiously awaiting for it to form a chrysalis to see if it emerges as a moth or butterfly.
I hope you have a good day! It's good to have positive thoughts.
We had a wonderful day! It was perfect I am so happy!
@PainsOnSlate (20420)
Cool pet you have there... I am an positive person and you are right, it can happen if you believe it will...
That is great you are such a positive person. It took me many years to stop being such a negative person. I was thinking of your artwork earlier. When you paint on things and use them for outdoor use what do you spray on the paint to keep it from washing off?
@shaggin I actually didn't realize I was a positive person until we lived in Married Student Housing with our daughter ( 2 years old) for a summer as my husband finished his Master Degree. The wife of my husbands best friend in the program drove me crazy, If I said what a beautiful day she would say its too hot, If I said your boys are so cute, her comeback would be like, they are monsters and I can't wait for them to grow up, Every sentience out of her mouth was negative, I couldn't stand being around her and made myself scarce...Thankfully it was just one summer.
@shaggin I use these three spray on my products. I get them at Walmart in the states. Notice they are three different products - all sprays that will protect the art from rain and sun. I have some slate outside in the sun that have bewen there for over 10 years... Notice the difference above the Maxx in the right had corner one says gloss, one says flat and one says Satin. I use all three because some people like shiny (gloss) some like it to look natural (flat) and some like a bit of shine (satin). I think they cost $3 plus chainge, I buy them by the dozen so don't remember exactly what they cost.
A positive attitude goes a long way! Good for you! I hope you and your son have an awesome day!! Cool caterpillar..so great to see the little changes each time you post.
We had a wonderful day. Not one bit of crying today at all. That is likely a record for him! It was decent weather so we went for a short walk and played basketball at the park.
@shaggin Ithat is so nice to read this. That is wonderful.
@Happy2BeMe I hope tomorrow will be the same way
@Tina30219 (35190)
• Onaway, Michigan
I hope things get better for him soon and he can try and think positive like you.
It took me about 23 years before I could start to think positively. My mother never has a nice thing to say about anyone else and growing up around that made me the same way... My niece lives with my parents house with her mother and brother and sisters and she has the same attitude toward people as my niece does. I pointed it out to my sister once about how I notice it because I am not around them all the time like when I lived there growing up. It's a pretty awful way to be I hope my son can learn to think differently then the negative thoughts all the time.
@Tina30219 (35190)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin Wow that sucks that your mom is that way and your sister and her kids being their and being around it is not good for them either. Maybe if your son sees you thinking positively and it working for you he will start doing it himself
@Tina30219 I sure hope so.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I hope some positivity rubs off on your son. He did have a bad experience with the therapist, the poor little man. The caterpillar is growing fast.
We had an excellent day today so I am so happy right now :-) Not one single tear was shed today! I am hoping for the same thing tomorrow. I did not get a call back from the woman who schedules the appointments at the office I called about so I will call again tomorrow or try another office. Either one is about an hour drive.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@shaggin That was a positive. I hope you have so many more days like that.
@Gillygirl Thank you I hope so too. So far that was the only good day he has had this week.
A positive attitude makes all the difference. I hope he starts applying it and sees how it really does work.
It is going to take a long time to get him to think differently but in the end I am hopeful it will pay off. I used to one the same as him and I have changed.
@shaggin Then you have hope he will too.
@1hopefulman (31692)
I think you have the right spirit. The positive attitude will make us focus on the positive. And that's what's important!
I hope so. My son told me I should eat lucky charms for breakfast so I will have a lucky day.
• Bournemouth, England
The caterpillar's transformation.will be a good demonstration of positivity.
Excellent point I had not thought of.
The first 5 mins. of each day I'm usually positive - it goes downhill form there.
Ha ha ha usually it does not last long for me either
So wise of you to be a role model for your son. It does seem that he is using negative responses to get attention, but your positive responses to each of his negatives is the right thing to do. Every negative thought can be swapped for a positive one. Done often enough, the swapping becomes a habit.
There are times he acts out for attention but the true depressed thoughts he says I know are real and not just for attention. My thoughts were always negative for years most of my life. It took me a guy friend of mine when I was about 23 saying that he had never heard me say a nice thing about anyone to make me realize how negative I was. Since then I always try to think positively towards everyone and if there are only a few people I truly hate. I wish I could get over those but I can't.
It is like the "Law of attraction" - if you believe and think of positive things you will attract them to yourself.
Hmm well I have not heard of a comparison between the laws of attraction but interesting thought
@dodo19 (33320)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's always good to have a positive way of thinking. Positivity can make a difference, for sure. I like trying to stay positive.
I find I feel better if I try to think on the positive side instead of being negative.
Whoa! He needs to think happy thoughts.
Yes but unfortunately he isn't able to. I was extremely negative most of my life as well. I took many years and experiences to get me to start thinking differently. This way of thinking is common for Aspergers.
• Midland, Michigan
It's too bad that your son has negative tendencies. If he continues to laugh at your test on this for yourself, you may need to say it somewhere before he enters the room or say it to yourself in your head. We can have good days even if the sxxt is hitting the fan around us. Outlook and expectation makes a big difference. Prayer is also helpful and not worrying about things we can't control. Having a sunny day does help although it was much warmer two days ago when it wasn't sunny, but better than March would usually be.
I mostly said it for his said to try to get him to think happy thoughts. Today we got outside to play for a bit even though it was under 50 degrees. It is suppsed to start snowing any minute now :-/
• Midland, Michigan
@shaggin Good luck with getting him to think happy thoughts. Is he a worrier too? They tend to go hand in hand. I'm reading a book right now with church and this week's chapter remind us how to get rid of worry. A lot of it I've known for almost forty years not that I think of practicing it enough. I'm hoping the book with my time off will help me get back to trusting God again on a daily basis. We are supposed to get colder weather by tomorrow or Saturday. I don't know whether snow is in the forecast, but we've not got anything expected since January. Maybe you didn't and won't get it either. Which state are you in? As far as the person you were talking about I looked at one of his posts and saw that not only did he not reply at all neither did he bother to like any. Whether or not we get anything for likes isn't the only reason to do it. At least a like shows your responder that you saw what they wrote. When he does respond he doesn't put much thought into them. Funny thing is after looking through his responses one was on a post about the topic we've been discussing. He thanked the author for their message. I plan on asking him about it as I'm sure he hasn't a clue. I figured doing so on the post of someone else would put a few pennies in their coffers at least. I almost want to write on the wrong thread but tag him, so his doesn't get the interaction but that would be mean.
@MarshaMusselman I am sure he must not read his comments even as he does not acknowledge them in the least. I find it very rude to write so many posts and not even care what anyone responds. I am in Pennsylvania and it just started snowing very lightly about an hour ago. Yes my son is a big worried and so am I. I read something once that someone wrote that sounded so much like me. "I worry so much that I worry about worrying and that makes my stomach hurt..I am a worrier"
@Daelii (5821)
Thinking positive helps a lot! How is it Spector you guys?
What do you mean Spector?
@Daelii (5821)
@shaggin that was one awful autocorrect! It should have said how is it working for you guys?
@Daelii I figured it could have been an autocorrect fail :) I forgot all about this saying this school year. I will try reinforcing it tomorrow morning.
@bluesa (14319)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@shaggin , it is good you gave him a straight forward explanation of why you were trying to think positively, it made him think what it would be like if it did work. Our thoughts do play a big role in our lives, it's just not easy to always remember that. I wish you and your son many more good days. That caterpillar is still a changing, it is flourishing under your care. :)
Having the caterpillar as a pet has been fun. Every day I look to see if there are any changes. It is snowy out and before it gets more so I should go out and get it some fresh grass and clean out it's jar.
@bluesa (14319)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@shaggin , I hope the snow is gone by now and the weather is warmer by you. I think nature is fascinating and can be a great mood lifter.
@bluesa We are actually supposed to get a blizzard worse then any we have ever had here so I think my kids and I should head out today and get a little bit of groceries while it is not snowing.
@ShifaLk (8398)
That's a good thinking... But yes negative people, I feel really upset n even angry when people are so negative n there are some who wants us to think negative as they're. Lol.. Hey is that your pet caterpillar? Omg! I feel creepy, Couldn't look at the picture
@ShifaLk (8398)
@shaggin oh goodness, great you had seen it again But I'm scared
The caterpillar is growing a lot! Hope your son tries to be more positive.
So far we only had just that one good day but I keep trying. Someday this will get better I just have to keep reminding myself as well.
@shaggin It will. I promise you!