So Long, Johnny's

Colorado Springs, Colorado
It's a sad day indeed here in the Colorado Springs area. I just read an article by Rich Laden in the Colorado Springs Gazette that has me bummed this morning. My favorite Downtown Colorado Springs bar, Southside Johnny's, is shutting down after 15 years in business. According to Laden, the building that houses Johnny's has been sold, and owner Johnny Nolan is unable to cover a 30% rent hike. I love this bar. I have spent many an hour in Johnny's, drinking, eating, watching sports, watching live music, doing homework, and just generally hanging out. The food was outstanding. The bar's motto was right there on the mirror: "It's better to eat at a great bar than to drink at a great restaurant." The beer was affordable and cold, and the service was outstanding. Nolan is close to opening a new, firefighter-themed bar on the westside of Colorado Springs. The majority of employees will make the move with him. Meanwhile, I'll be making my way downtown for one last beer. So long, Johnny's. I'll miss you. (Photo by me)
But no biker colors allowed! It's always rent hikes that do in small businesses.
A lot of bikers hang out there. It's a very diverse crowd, and everyone gets along. Great place. I will miss it.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
@teamfreak16 I live in Baton Rouge and had never heard of the place until your post.
@inertia4 (26878)
You know, that is all part of life really. And lately I have noticed that many real old landmark names have been going away as well. Like here in NYC, the Waldorf Astoria hotel has been sold to a Chinese investor and they will be turning the Waldorf into Condos. So no more Waldorf. And that has been in NYC for a very long time. So, these things do happen. And yes, rent always place in issue for the smaller businesses.
No more Waldorf? Wow. What a shame. I'm drawing a blank, but if the one that Sid allegedly killed Nancy in goes, that would be sad. That place is a landmark.
@inertia4 (26878)
@teamfreak16 Yes it is a landmark. But big business don't care about landmarks. It is all about the money. I don't know anyone who could afford to live in Manhattan anymore. The cheapest rents there are like 3000 for a studio. And that is considered cheap now.
@inertia4 - And they get it. Scary.
One for you and your baby.So long Johnny's you will be miss.
Thank you. From all of us.
@teamfreak16 gotcha .do you have another one there to go?
@amadeo - Well, we still have the Royal Tavern here in Manitou.
A shame that the owner cannot afford the increase in rent. Hopefully, the new bar will be just as welcoming as the one that is to be no more.
II'm betting that they'll put a nightclub in there. Sad.
@teamfreak16 That would be a shame. Kind of destroys all those good memories of a place.
@Corbin5 - There is a good Irish pub two doors down. I wonder if they are next.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is sad when a local establishment closes due to a sale and big rent increase. Have one for me too. A longtime local used book store with great space is faced with this problem here. It has hosted many great poetry and fiction readings, sells books by local authors and has lots of musical events as well.
Oh wow, it would be a shame to lose that.
• Eugene, Oregon
@teamfreak16 They are taking pledges and doing fundraisers. I will do what I can.
@JamesHxstatic - Good fighting spirit! Hope they make it.
That is a shame. We'd be crushed if our regular hangout closed.
It's the end of an era. Such a cool place. This guy really knows how to run a bar.
@teamfreak16 People still talk about the bars that my dad used to run and they've been closed for 20+ years
@NJChicaa - Legendary bars are the best. And few and far between.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
We've lost two pubs here since the New Year. The last one only closed a few weeks ago and is already a big hole in the ground - more flats, no doubt
Two of them already? Such a shame.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 Yes and it looks like the UK is not the only place where this is happening
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I think the menu was way to small for dinner but lunch was a big menu with a lot of good options on the menu.
If you're talking about Johnny's, you're right. I still thought the food was great, either menu.
What a shame your favourite bar is closing. We lost a very nice coffee shop in town when the rent was increased by a substantial amount. Now it's empty and the owner is getting nothing for it. Sounds like karma to me.
Yep, he deserves it.
I have seen this happen so many times, this awesome Greek place closed due to the same thing.
Yeah, I hate greed. It was such a part of the neighborhood.
@LoriAMoore (9565)
That's a shame. I like the sign "No biker colors allowed"
A lot of bikers hang out there.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
Baton Rouge has a Johhnys but not a bar Johnny's pizza.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I know how you feel my clothing store fashion bug closed.