Strong Suit

Until almost 8 years ago I dotted on my Dad's every word. I listened to him and I always learned something from him and his smart business ways. I learned how to negotiate what I want on my terms. Its taken some practise, but I'm getting there. I just got an email invoice for the moving pod, the rental of it, transportation and so on. And I've done this all on my own. I negotiated it down over $600 in total. Yeah Dad, your little girl was listening and is still practising your fine art of negotiations. What's your strong suit?
• New Delhi, India
I'm very bad at negotiations
My husband cannot cut a deal as well as I can, he lets me take the reigns on any of the large purchases we make, and then he signs on the dotted line.
• New Delhi, India
@Juliaacv you are really smart
@amitkokiladitya I don't know about that, its just a skill anybody can learn.
I used to think I was a good negotiator, but Scar wins every...single...time
Well there you go. Listening to Dad paid off. I can get companies and others to make things right by bugging the daylights out of them. I have gotten a free sink from Home Depot, free trees planted in my backyard, a business to clean up an area due to stuff blowing off their parking lot, and got our neighbor's house built to replace the house that a fire destroyed by making the village stop dragging their feet due to building codes, and many more things too. I put up a good fight that makes many give in and do what is right.
You're better then I am, a new house!
@Hate2Iron (7859)
I have never really learned to haggle... but my daughter-in- law is amazing. I should take her shopping with me!!
Good for you there.I am sure that he is proud of this.You done well
Well done. I'm sure your Dad is smiling down with pride. That is a whole heap of money you have saved.
I am keeping a lot of notes in a notebook on the move, checking things off. And that is where I noticed the initial contact that I had made with this company and the total cost and then when that invoice came yesterday, I thought, wow, that is a sizeable amount saved.
@Juliaacv You've done well. Treat yourself to an ice-cream next time you have the chance! :)
@JudyEv You're funny, its not quite ice cream weather here.....but it won't be too long!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I'm no good at haggling or negotiating! Also found out today I'm a horrible public speaker!
I don't feel comfortable with public speaking, but I just talked with our real estate agent, and he told me that I'm a good negotiator and should be selling real estate myself. I just laughed.
@Juliaacv Maybe you should try it.. or sell cars!
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't take crap from anyone my dad loved that about me. I was his 2nd child and he used to jokingly call me his first son. My older sister is a wimp lol.
My brothers are that way too-wimpy and whiney!
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Definitely not negotiation!! Good for you!
I just love it, and our son does also he'd make a great lawyer.
@Juliaacv I am too shy for that.
• Trinidad And Tobago
My dad blood flows in me...yes, that's what we say. My father was a self-made carpenter. It's amazing how he could be so creative and fix everything. I am like that. I have the innate ability to understand and construct things. And I spent a lifetime watching and helping my dad. He wasn't the easiest of persons...and did not stand fools gladly...but I learn the trick of anticipating him.But good as I am...I am only half of what my dad was. He was an amazing man.
That's amazing.
You are so blessed to have learned from your daddy
I miss him so much.
He would be proud of you. Now you can cross one more thing off your to-do list. I'm sure he won't be the only one proud of you. I don't know what my strong suit is unless it's my faith in God.
I think that we all have a few strong suits.
My strong suit is never giving up and, getting the job done, always very creative.
Those are amazing qualities TR.
What a great and valuable teaching lesson your dad passed on. I'm not much of a negotiator.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
Congrats for getting the price down and I'm sure your Dad would be proud of you for doing it. My husband does most the money things in our house, I don't like to do it,,,,so I an good a cleaning house and very creative all the time.
@sueznewz2 (9969)
• Alicante, Spain
That's great ..well done..I bet your dad would say that's my girl.. it's not a skill I have But now I know where to come ...lol...
@sishy7 (27647)
Oh, that's a great skill to have... I've been told that I'm good with numbers... I guess it's my strong suit although I'm sure mine is just an average-level skill that most would also have and many are better at it...
I learned how to be totally independent. My parents taught me how to live with a purpose in this world.