America wants people to eat healthier, but they charge double the price for healthy food.

Banks, Oregon
America wants people to eat healthier, but they charge double or sometimes triple the price for healthy food, for example you can go into the store and, probably get a couple pounds of hamburger 7 or 8 dollars, but if you want to buy two fish, that will cost you about 40 bucks and, I am not kidding by that much, another example one good T-Bone steak will cost you about 10 dollars. I don't know anybody that could afford to have fish or steak very many times a week. Soda is also a lot cheaper, than say Gatorade, Propel or Snapple. I still go for the Gatorade, but it is expensive at 5 to 7 bucks for a 8 pack, you can get soda for as little as a dollar at dollar tree 2 liter bottles, sometimes even 12 packs.
I don't want to dispute your theories, but even gatorade isn't that healthy. Heck, water in plastic bottles isn't healthy either. I do get what you are saying though. Sadly, it's been that way for years. The healthier the stuff is the more expensive it seems to be.
Gatorade has a lot of vitamins in it and, vitamins are good, but yes I know sugar too, but it tastes really good and, the body does need sugar.
@TRBRocks420 I am thinking more about the dyes they use to color the drinks. I don't know if they use real sugar either. I know that gatorade supposedly has electrolytes and the such. I just think it's been so heavily marketed over the years and their original recipe has changed so much, it's not the same healthy choice it used to be.
@ScribbledAdNauseum It has B3, B6 & B12, potassium, Niacin, Magnesium, but yeah I have heard things about the dye, all I know is I feel a lot better when I drink it compared to pop.
@amnabas (10296)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yes it's expensive for people residing there.
Yes, I wish the prices were not so high for fish.
What gets me is the price of fruit. I paid $8 for a bag of oranges yet cookies or chips are less than half that price
Yeah, I didn't even mention fruit 10 bucks for a big bag of grapes probably too lol.
@scheng1 (24800)
Perhaps the only way to eat healthy and yet cheap is vegetarian diet and drink only water or tea. As long as you want fresh meat, the cost is always higher than frozen meat or processed meat.
I am a meat eater lol.
That is so true and its sad as most of us cannot afford much fisg if steak per week
Yes, it's really sad and, needs to change.
• Richfield, Utah
As far as meats go, you have to get the cheaper, leaner meats, say ground turkey, or sometimes you can get a good deal on a whole chicken. Usually around the summer or some holidays the store here will offer a 2 for $10 deal on some good 8 Oz ribeye, or new York strip steak. Ham goes on sale at Christmas and easter, I stock up and freeze. And of course can't forget the turkey at thanksgiving, good buy there. I do a lot of freezing, so that helps me to save and eat a bit healthier. I liKe the 3 liter bottles of Shasta at dollar tree, lasts for a bit in my house. You can also get a bag of salad for less than $2 here
Yeah, we do this too, but it still ends up costing far more and, being too expensive for healthy food as often as you would like, especially when you have a big family.
• Richfield, Utah
@TRBRocks420 I know, it's hard even with a small family.
You got that right. The healthier foods are outrageous
Yes it cost 14 bucks just for some salmon fillets the other day. I was like is this salmon made of gold lol.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I know - another area I find difficult is fresh produce. When you're single it is hard use up produce before it goes bad. I wish they sold smaller portions. Something I've been doing is Crystal Lite and it's off brands - instead of soda. I can buy 12 "sticks" to make 12 16 oz. servings of it for about 3 dollars or .25 ea. Compared to Diet Coke which is about $5 x 12 pack.
Yes, produce is also very expensive and, goes bad way to fast, cheaper smaller portions would be great and, crystal lite isn't bad, but I love powerade it's my favorite drink, sometimes get those powdery drinks to mix with water too though, when can't afford it, if I drink pop I mostly like 7-up.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@TRBRocks420 They do say that if you're going to drink soda, it's best to stick to the "clear" ones , like 7-Up. I hear you, with drinks though. A lot of the non-soda soft drinks are expensive even.
@slayer08 (2363)
actually the same problem occurs in other parts of the world. Organic and healthier options are far more expensive than regular ones. It's a shame really. But a bit nonsensical. growing organic vegetables are less expensive than those that are not grown naturally - so why are they more expensive, right?
Yes, it's really crazy, it should be the other way around.
@slayer08 (2363)
@TRBRocks420 exactly! I don't know how the world works but it seems it's a lot cheaper to be unhealthy than to be healthy.
I agree that fastfood is usually less expensive. I must say that it costs me much more to buy the food from the market and cook them at home. But I still do so since I think it is healthier.
We do too most of the time.
Weird the way that works out, isn't it?
Yeah, it's crazy. I brought this up because I bought some salmon fillets and, it was 14 bucks. The big ones some over 20 bucks.
• Peoria, Arizona
I was just talking to my mom about this. My mom can buy maybe 3 or 4 meals meals with 5 dollars, but they are all unhealthy. It takes 20 dollars to just buy maybe 2 meals at most. It is terrible. Just find sales, best you can do at times
I agree completely it's sad. I mean we still eat as healthy as we can, but I would like to have fish and, steak more often or fruits everyday.
@FourWalls (13784)
Have you seen that Facebook meme that says, "Why people are fat: McDonald's salad is six bucks and a Big Mac is $1.50." It's true. I don't understand how NOT adding ingredients (fewer ingredients, less cost) makes something cost MORE.
Yes, it's very sad and, should be the other way around.
You would think it would be the other way around. The healthy food should be cheaper. The junk food should be higher.
Yes, that's how it should be. I would love to eat more fish, but it's very expensive.
That happens in my country as well. The unhealthy foods are way cheaper.
I absolutely agree. Even here those organic products are so much more expensive. I hope they will make it affordable. They know that some people are into healthy living so they make them expensive.
@dwstory (1082)
I am going to have a garden this summer. Hopefully we will have fresh food all summer. If everything actually grows.
@Fishmomma (11504)
I really see this when you look at meat, as the price difference is a lot when you want leaner hamburger. The price is big for 80% vs 90%. Some produce is high and that is when I can even buy like cherries and bananas.