When do you switch jobs?

Pic from huffington post
@Beatburn (3914)
Those who have been working for several years and have stayed in the same company will find it hard to leave it. Sometimes, though, opportunities come. A better pay, better working conditions, opportunities for growth can convince one to move. Easier said than done of course. What are the conditions that made you switch to another job? What factors did you consider? Image from Huffington Post
Our son, who has a B.S. in Economics and an MBA in finance/marketing has had to switch jobs so many times due to being laid off due to companies hiring H1B Visas holders who will work for less, due to outsourcing of jobs, and due to companies leaving the US. Hopefully, that will not be the case any longer due to the new administration. He has a good job in marketing with an American firm that is family-owned, so that is a great job that is more secure.
@Beatburn (3914)
That's good news. How long has he been working?
@Beatburn He got his MBA in 2010, and took any low-wage job he could find. He delivered fliers door to door for a pizza company for $10 an hour, and all kinds of other work too in which he could not use his degree. At his offices now, all in the company are reporting more than average sales and they are looking forward to a brighter future due to changes being made regarding immigration, outsourcing, and a lower corporate tax. Also , the end of Obamacare is a great thing since it crippled a lot of companies here in the US. 7 years of him struggling is something I never want to see again. It was awful.
@Beatburn (3914)
@Corbin5 So it's true, he's benefitting from the changes happening in your country. He must be optimistic. Good for everyone else as well.
Better possibilities for professional growth and better wages.
@Beatburn (3914)
Which has more weight for you?
@Beatburn Better possibilities for professional growth. Money is a consequence.
@Beatburn (3914)
@TheInvisibleMan I agree. The first you could multiply and keep. The other, easier to spend.
I worked with my husband, I refused jobs where I would have got a better salary. My freedom and staying with my husband were more important than money.
@Beatburn (3914)
I guess you were satisfied with your job. So sweet pf you to have being with your husband a priority.
@Beatburn Well to be honest it was not the job I would have chosen, but I liked the idea to work with my husband. This allowed us to spend all our life together.
@Beatburn (3914)
@LadyDuck And that is better than any job that will keep you apart. You've accepted the benefits of the job.
• Portland, Connecticut
Usually it would require the conditions at my current job to be bad, I am a loyal employee.
@Beatburn (3914)
Have you switched before?
• Portland, Connecticut
@Beatburn I have but things have to get pretty bad.
@Beatburn (3914)
@BelleStarr I admire your patience. I notice our new employees can't seem to stay put and would jump from one job to another.
I was a teacher, so I never switched jobs or careers.
@Beatburn (3914)
How about schools? Thanks for the comment.
@Beatburn Yes, I switched schools only because I was sent where I was needed. They were part of the same school system.
@Beatburn (3914)
@DianneN I see. If I do the same thing, switch companies but in the same field of work, I guess it's easier adjusting to the job.
I left my almost 12-year old first job because I was no longer happy.
@Beatburn (3914)
I'm sure you're happier now. What job was it if I may ask?
@Beatburn when I left I was a Branch Head of a financing company.
@Beatburn (3914)
@nottoooldtowrite It must have been a tough job.
Funny you should say that. I work at home but am not too happy with my job. There are times that I want to do something else. I have a few things that I am considering doing so a career change may be due for the summer.
More money and more freedom. Did I mention, I'd switch jobs for more money, more benefits, and a better compensation package?
@Beatburn (3914)
I understand. We need financial security. If a company cannot provide it, it's perfectly alright. Now, loan me some.
@Beatburn sure. How much do you need?
@Beatburn (3914)
@allen0187 Enough to bring me out of this country.
@averygirl72 (16670)
When I'm not happy and the job is more difficult it's easy to leave the job and find a better one
@Beatburn (3914)
Are salaries and benefits also a factor for you?
@averygirl72 (16670)
@Beatburn Sometimes not as long as the job is easier and I'm happy in the workplace
@Beatburn (3914)
@averygirl72 I was like that before I grew older and the reality of supporting a family kicked in. Now I'm looking for a job that pays a little bit more.
Location was a huge factor. I've lived in different states that required a change in jobs. Physical conditions also dictated a change of jobs.
@Beatburn (3914)
Yes, it could also matter. I'm thinking of getting a new job closer to my family and friends. Also thinking how much am I willing to get as salary.
@Beatburn I hope you can find one closer to home. It will save you a lot of expense getting back and forth to work.
@Beatburn (3914)
@just4him If we have an option to move, would you recommend it? We'd have to pay rent though.
@epiffanie (9847)
I'm self employed so I've never had to make that decision .. but I had relocated though ..
@Beatburn (3914)
What kind of work do you do if I may ask?
@epiffanie (9847)
@Beatburn I am a designer, dressmaker and tailor .. self-employed for nearly 35 years ..
@Beatburn (3914)
That's an awesome job. @epiffanie And a mylotter.
@1hopefulman (26167)
When I wasn't happy. When they didn't pay enough. When I found a job I liked better.
@Beatburn (3914)
Is it happiness first, or pay?
@1hopefulman (26167)
@Beatburn I would like to say happiness but sometimes you need the money and so it depends on what is going on at the time.
@Beatburn (3914)
@1hopefulman You're right. We have our current concerns and if at that moment it's financial stability then it's perfectly alright to decide because of it.
@DaddyEvil (23536)
• Aurora, Missouri
I have never moved my residence for a job, Beatburn. (I suppose that is one of the criteria under which I will accept a job or not.) I LIKE where I live. This city is small compared to some in the U.S. Small enough that it is still easy to know your neighbor's business, who his relatives are and where he came from. I have changed jobs many times, mostly precipitated by too many court/divorce related job losses. My first ex was determined to break me any way she could. Her family being related to the owners of several of the places I worked did not bid well for me with those companies. (Had I known why I was being let go, I would have checked family ties much closer than I did. SMH! Unfortunately, Missouri business owners do not need to tell their employees why they are being let go. I had no clue I was working my way through the same interrelated families of business owners. To get away from those interrelated families, I started my own computer repair/sales business. Then fell afoul of the downturn of America's economy. Nobody was buying computers. Like an overly optimistic fool, I continued to hang onto my fledgling business until almost all the jobs in my area were gone. I was lucky in applying for a low level job with Walmart.... At that point, my total criteria for a job was one that paid enough to pay rent and also put a bit of food on our table. That was better than many families found here. I am still a low level associate in a huge company, but I am as high in this company as I am willing to go. Two bad store managers while I tried to move up through the ranks left me with an unwillingness to put myself out there again. Not even finally seeing a good store manager put in place at the Walmart where I work made me willing to try again. My daughter and I can pay our bills, put food on our table and take some time off once in a while. I have reached an age where that is good enough.
@Beatburn (3914)
Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us. I sense an acceptance that many of us fail to see. Many of us continue aiming for stuff that are beyond the stars and getting frustrated in the process. It must have been tough, to have loved someone capable to lash out SMH. Hello to your daughter.