Our Day In Charleston South Carolina

@fishtiger58 (30689)
Momence, Illinois
Our 2nd day in South Carolina was spent in Charleston. We were camped about 30 miles away so we decided to make a day of it. The first thing we did was go to the ocean. It was a spectacular day and there were many people out and about. It was bustling to say the least. Apparently the 70 degree weather was unusual for South Carolina I was told February was usually in the 40 degree range. At the ocean we saw many dolphins doing their thing, but they were all to far out for me to get a shot, and they come up for air and gone again, so I got a lot of shots of where the dolphins just were but none of the dolphins. I was a bit disappointed. We also could see Fort Sumter from our vantage point but decided we didn't want to spend a good part of our day out there. The first shots of the Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861. After visiting the ocean we went to a market place that was 4 blocks long and bought a few things. Then we went in search of a good place to eat. Our plan was BBQ but as we wandered we came across a southern style restaurant. A small little place that strictly cooked southern food, called Jestine's Kitchen. My son looked it up on his phone and it said that usually you had to wait for a table as it's a very small store front restaurant. But we decided to see what the wait would be. I was wearing my Chicago Cubs World Series Hat and one of the men working there told me he loved my hat and that in the 1960's his dad played for a Cubs farm team. He told me he would get me a table. We didn't wait long. He walked by our table several times and each time he would call me Chicago. It was a nice meal as well, I had a Bacon Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato sandwich accompanied by corn bread with butter and honey. It was delicious. My husband had meatloaf and my son had fried oysters. He had never had oysters but said they were excellent and my hubby tried them and like them as well. I am not much for fish type meals so I passed. With our belly's full we took a walking tour of Charleston and saw many old buildings and wonderful colorful houses. I can certainly see the appeal of living in Charleston, a couple of the house were for sale and we looked them up online and one was 3 million and the other was in excess of 1 million. A bit to rich for my blood. All in all it was a great day we spent in Charleston. I would like to visit again some day. This is a shot of Fort Sumter from my vantage point. More to come on things we saw while in Charleston.
I have never visited Charleston, one of our friends did and he said it is a beautiful city and it's worth a visit.
It is, I love it there. I am reliving my vacation through @fishtiger58
@andriaperry The next time we come to the United States we are going to visit.
@LadyDuck You will enjoy yourselves.
Sounds like you had a lovely time.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
We really did, it's a beautiful amazing town with much to see.
@Gillygirl (15291)
• Sutton, England
Another stunning photo. My husband visited Charleston on one of his business visits to the USA he loved it.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
It's goegeous, all the old building and lovely colors they paint their houses, pinks, purples, oranges, all colors you normally don't see on houses. I loved it. Thanks glad you like my photo.
@Gillygirl (15291)
• Sutton, England
@fishtiger58 I've seen them on TV they look amazing.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Gillygirl They really are, and every floor has a balcony running the length of the house, very cool.
Charleston is such a beautiful place! I have been there a few times and always loved it. If it wasn't so expensive I would love to live there. It sounds like you had a wonderful time as well. =)
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Hugely expensive, I would love to live there as well, but who the heck can afford million dollar home, certainly not me.
@ridingbet (37924)
hmmm, i think that park is worth a visit, if i am living there in your country; but now, i will just content myself into seeing pictures only
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I did want to go out there but the boat ride is long and we had so much to do we would not have had the time for everything we wanted to see.
@ridingbet (37924)
@fishtiger58 but just the beautiful site of it is already nice. i think the waters are also calm, maybe you can see the bottom of the river?
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@ridingbet It's actually the Atlantic Ocean.
@katsmeow1213 (28925)
Sounds lovely! I can't wait to get to South Carolina next month and see the ocean! I hope we get to catch some glimpses of dolphins!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
When we were at that pier in the middle of Charleston there were several there, to see them in the wild was quite an experience. I do hope you see them and have a great time.
@fishtiger58 I am sure we'll have a great time.. We plan to visit an aquarium while we're there. We've never been to one so that will be fun.. but I do hope to see some just swimming around the ocean!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@katsmeow1213 I have seen dolphins in captivity, but to see them in the wild and free was a first for me, and I was thrilled beyond belief.
I have never been there but it wounds like a beautiful place. Sounds like you had a great time.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
We had a wonderful time, it was so beautiful there and clean I loved how clean it was there.
@fishtiger58 That is great!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Sounds like a great time
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
We had such a wonderful time, that was only my 2nd time to the east coast, and I must go again.
@fishtiger58 I'm trying to go off the East coast. Maybe someday...
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Debscrochet I certainly don't want to live up against the ocean, I'm a midwest girl, but visiting is a wonderful thing.
I a not a seafood lover, but oysters (raw) I could live on. I don't consider shellfish fish!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
You are right shellfish is not fish. I love shell fish though but didn't try the oysters. My grandfather loved oysters, my grandmother would make him oyster casserole, nasty smell all day in the house.
@fishtiger58 I like mine raw. But we don't get many oysters in landlocked TN!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill No I suppose you don't.
@PainsOnSlate (19212)
Sounds like a wonderful day and running into a man who noticed your hat was a bonus, touching the heart of anyone is a job will done. I love friend oysters.... my husband eats them raw - yuck!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
It was a nice day, and yes I loved he noticed my hat. Yea I'm not eating oysters any way they come, and raw is a positive no go.
• Portland, Connecticut
I walked by Jestine's, it had been recommended by Rachael Ray but it was closed that day. Sounds like we should have gone back.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
It was so good Belle we very much enjoyed our meal there. It's a tiny little restaurant and the site we looked at to find somewhere good to eat said there is usually a wait. We were worried but got right in, I think we were lucky, and having my Chicago Cub gear on probably didn't hurt lol.
That sounds amazing! I remember visiting Charleston, and I loved it.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
It's such a clean beautiful city, I was pretty impressed.
We loved our stay in Charleston. Glad you enjoyed it, too!
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I really did so much to see and do there.
Wow, I didn't know Sumter was an island, great shot of it.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I didn't either but then history has never been my thing. Thanks
While at the Market did you go into the Fudge shop? That fudge is to die for! I can taste it now.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't think we did, but I remember passing by it, there was a huge crowd there and we didn't want to wait that long.
I have never been to Charleston, NC. Sounds like a lovely place to visit!! So cool that fellow's dad played for the Cubs back in the day.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I was so surprised when he told us that about his dad. After we were seated my son looked up his dad on his phone, and yea very cool.
Nice picture, sounds like it was a busy, fun time you spent there.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
We had a most enjoyable day just wandering around. Thanks.
I have never been to Charleston and want to sometime. I envy your fun visit.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
It's a pretty beautiful place to visit. If you ever get the chance
We lived in Charleston when I was a child. My dad was stationed at the Air base there. I can remember going on the boat to Fort Sumter
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
If it wasn't such a long deal we would have gone on the boat to see it, but we had so much more to do that day we decided to pass.