A Christmas Gift Disappointment

I know. I know. It's not that time of year but after reading "JJ's Vinyl Madness Countdown #983", I was reminded of the Christmas on which I was very disappointed of a gift from my Grandma and Grandpa. When my sister and I were growing up, Grandma had us to make a Christmas list. We would look thru Sears & Roebuck's Christmas Wish Book and then write down the items that we wanted. We could also put other items on the list. One year, I put Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass' "!!Going Places!!" on my Christmas list. Christmas day finally arrived and, as always, we had to wait until after we ate dinner and all the dishes were washed and put away before we could open our presents. We couldn't even go into the living room where the big decorated tree and presents were because there was a sheet hanging at the doorway. The time came for the sheet to come down and we all gathered around in the living room...Mom and Dad, my sister, Grandma and Grandpa. Aunts and Uncles and cousins. We started unwrapping our presents after all of them had been passed out. When I saw thin, square package that was the size of a record album, I knew it was the one that I wanted. I was really excited to finally get my very first Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass album. I tore into the wrapping paper and lo and behold it was............Al Hirt. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I told my Mom that it was not the album that I wanted. I wanted Grandma and Grandpa to take it back and get the one that I put on my Christmas list. Mom told me that I should go ahead and keep the album that I got. I wound up telling Grandma and Grandpa that it was not the album that I wanted and asked them to return it and get Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass album. They did. I was one very happy 12-year-old when I finally got my first Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass album. I'm sure that there are some of you myLotters who had been disappointed with a Christmas gift you received. What was it that you wanted but got instead?
I can't remember such an incident but I remember Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass Band!
I remember that I really loved listening to the sound that Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass had. But I wasn't too crazy about Herb Alpert's singing.
@bluerubymoon53 I don't remember that. It was too long ago. Maybe I'm going to look for it on youtube.
@dragon54u (31605)
@bluerubymoon53 He really didn't have a great singing voice but it was still better than some of the bands these days! My granddaughter, who is 3, loves to dance to his music. Unfortunately, our only cassette tape broke and I have to resort to YouTube to play his music for her. Her current favorites are Highway 101 and Zorba the Greek (because it's slow/fast and very lively to dance to!).
@dragon54u (31605)
I remember a Christmas that I got what I wanted, a Chatty Cathy, but my aunt pulled the string so much that the doll broke that same day. It's silly of me but I've never forgiven her for that even though I know she did not mean to break it. Did you know that Herb Alpert is alive and well and on Facebook? He has "liked" a couple of my posts on his page and I'm embarrassed at what a thrill that gave me. He and his wife Lani still perform occasionally. He has given tens of millions of dollars in scholarships to young musicians, too. Check out his facebook page!
Kind of cool to have someone famous to "Like" a post or even comment back, huh? I've had a few to do that. SheilaE, Atlanta Bliss, Andy Allo have all interacted with me. ~~~ I'll check out Herb Alpert's Facebook page. Wow! Tens of millions for scholarships!! That's awesome.
Aw Poor dragon. I never had a Chatty Cathy. Did have a Kissy doll though.
www.