A nasty accident

@boiboing (12879)
Northampton, England
Last night my husband and I witnessed a really nasty car crash whilst we were driving to the flat where I stay when I'm working from the office. My 6th sense had definitely kicked in and I had held back when I realised that the car shooting up behind me had not got its headlights on and was driving only on sides. I told my husband "I'm keeping away from that car; I don't think the driver knows what he's doing". About 2 minutes later we watched in amazement as the driver realised - too late - that he'd just missed the exit ramp. He then swung across, cutting into the path of the car he was overtaking, went over the grass verge and onto the off-ramp where he was going too fast and at too sharp an angle to recover control. We watched as if in slow motion as the driver tried to get back on track, went off the road and onto the grass bank and straight into a street light. The car hit with such force that the lamp bent to 45 degrees. We pulled in at the next possible stop and called the ambulance service - not something I've ever done before. My husband had said "Ignore it, somebody else will call it in" but I couldn't do that. That driver was somebody's son or daughter. There might have been passengers. They hit with such force that I doubted they were going to be able to call for help themselves. When we arrived at the flat - later than intended as I was driving like an old lady out for a Sunday jaunt - I sent a mail to the local police to give them my contact details in case they needed a witness account of the accident. It's certainly not the first time I've seen somebody attempt to leave the road too late but this was by far the worst case I've seen. I slept badly last night wondering what had happened to the driver and any passengers.
@Beatburn (3959)
On behalf of all the other motorists in this world, thanks for calling for an ambulance. And may your goodness be shared by many.
@Daljinder (22179)
@BeatBurn I second that!
@Beatburn (3959)
@Daljinder Thanks!
So glad you called for help for those involved in that accident. Some folks are such a danger to themselves and others when behind the wheel.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I probably won't ever know more but I do think computer games encourage younger drivers to think they have more control than they really do.
@xFiacre (6034)
@boiboing There's always at least one plonker willing to put everyone else at risk. I had wondered where you had disappeared to - welcome back.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
My greatest relief was that the car he cut up by changing lanes didn't seem to get caught up in the accident.
• Denver, Colorado
Geez. Hope they're ok. You did the right thing.
@ShifaLk (8581)
O my GOD! You really did a great job by calling the ambulance . I would have felt the same if I had seen the accident
@Daljinder (22179)
Hoping that the driver and the passengers (if any) made it out fine.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
Terrifying to witness I'm sure. I hope nobody was severely injured! I've become such a cautious driver.. I would have just gotten off on the next exit and doubled back.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I am more alert to people around me on the roads who look like they might not know I'm there. I try to take evasive action when I see them.
@boiboing Me too! I get such anxiety on the roads, especially when there's a lot of traffic, because you just never know what one of these idiot drivers might do!
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
@katsmeow1213 I drive a LOT so I can't let such things get to me. But I am more cautious than I used to be.
That doesn't sound good. Doesn't sound like anyone could have got out of it without some injuries at least.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
Based on what they did to that lamp-post, and it being rather an old car (possibly pre-airbag, pre crumple zone), I fear the occupants won't have simply walked away.
Idiots. I think you did right to call it in. You never know and minutes can be very important in some ones life.
@PatZAnthony (13234)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Never ignore it. You may have saved someone by making that call.
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
The karma will come round... Very public-spirited of you Well done.
I often have called, because if everyone thinks "oh someone else will call" then no one does! I do hope they were ok.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
Thankfully it's only the second time I have seen such an accident. The other time was in another country in a taxi and I would have had no idea who or how to call.
@boiboing We have 911, so you can call and just tell whomever that answers where you are and they handle the local who's
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
@Jessicalynnt 999 is our equivalent of 911.
@hereandthere (33342)
i understand your instinct to report. if it happened to you or someone you know, you would hope someone would, too, so they are helped immediately because in cases like these, time is of the essence.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
There was a case in Scotland a few months ago of a couple who spun off the road, down a ditch and were not found for nearly a week. Somebody HAD called it in but the police didn't follow up.
@boiboing that's terrible. did they survive?
There are more and more people driving like crazy. I fear that they are too busy looking at their phones (or navigators) to notice what happens on the road. The virtual world is killing the common sense.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
My husband said at the time that if they police checked the phone records, the driver might well have been on the phone.
@boiboing This is what happens all the time now, the drivers are so busy looking at their phones that they do not look at the road.
@KristenH (25305)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Yikes. I hope everyone made out okay. Any news on the crash?
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
No but I am checking local news for that area.
@KristenH (25305)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@boiboing Okay. Keep us posted when you do.
@garymarsh6 (14732)
What an idiot driver. I would have pulled over to see if I could have helped. I hope there was no baby in the back. At least you called the ambulance service which was the right thing to do.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
We were already too close to the exit when it happened and it would have been a very complicated detour to go back. Hubby said the way they were driving that it could have been a stolen car and n of to risk mine being the next. If it happened on the main road then we might well have stopped but the slip road made it difficult.
@tzwrites (4980)
It seems the driver was not careful. Hopefully they weren't injured too badly.
How frightening to see that happen. I have only come upon accidents after the fact.