Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 183 Proverbs 18:24 Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. Everyone has friends, but what kind of friends are they? Are they friends you can trust and rely on? Or are they friends who just come around when they want something from you? What kind of friend are you? Solomon showed that friendship goes both ways. To have a friend, you must be friendly. He also said there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. Someone you can rely on in any situation, and they can also rely on you. As Christians, you have a friend you can rely on, Jesus. He said he would be your friend, and he called you his friend. John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Would you die for your friend? Would you give them whatever they needed? Jesus gave himself for you by dying on Calvary’s cross. Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (KJV) He did more for you as your friend than most people are willing to do for him. He said you are his friends if you do what he asks you. Most of the time when someone asks you to do something, you are suspicious of their motives and you wonder what you will get out of it, and what danger it represents. You look at every angle before you commit to doing what someone wants you to do. Yet, Jesus never asks you to do anything that will bring you shame and disgrace. Will you lay down your life for him? It’s possible. All but one of the apostles died because they preached the gospel. Some of them were fed to lions in Roman arenas. Peter was hung upside down. Paul was beheaded. They knew the dangers, yet preached the gospel regardless of what the consequences were because they knew a greater reward waited for them – eternal life. One of the greatest stories of faith and sacrifice we have today is from a high school student named Rachel Scott. She was asked if she was a Christian before she was killed in the Columbine High School massacre. She did not back down. What kind of friend are you. Can Jesus rely on you the way you can rely on him? He will stick closer to you than a brother. He will never let you down. He will never leave you or forsake you. Isaiah 43:2 When thou pass through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walk through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. There is nothing this life can do to you that God will not be right there with you. Let’s pray: Father, help me be a friend that sticks closer than a brother. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 10 March 2017 by Valerie Routhieaux
Very comforting words.
Thank you. It's good to know we have a Friend we can count on no matter what.
@just4him Yes , Jesus will never let us down. By the way, I love the worship music of Michael W. Smith. My favorite album by him would be "Decades of Worship"
@Kandae11 He is a very good artist. I had the opportunity to see him in person a few years ago.