Went to Aldi on Thursday night

@jerzgirl (8037)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
I needed to buy some groceries and my daughter finally agreed to take me. They closed at 9. We didn't leave to go until after 8, so I barely had a half-hour to get my shopping done. But, I managed. Aldi is a German grocery chain that has come to the US. My mother loved them. I like them a lot, too. My only complaint, if you can call it that, was that I have to buy a large bag of onions since they don't sell them individually and I don't use fresh onions enough to buy a bag full. But, that's minor. I got eggs, bread, milk, all the cheese I'll need for a while, sandwich thins (circular bun-like precut bread disks for less bulky sandwiches), burger buns, cereal, pancake mix, a five-pound log of ground beef, a large can of coffee, peanut butter and sugar-free jam. I forgot butter, sour cream and ketchup. I'm sure I got some other things, but I can't remember them. Oh, a can of chili with beans and a 10 pound bag of potatoes. The sour cream and ketchup I can get at Dollar Tree. Because I was the last customer out of the store, they had already crushed all the boxes by the time I checked out, so I had to buy two bags. If you didn't know, Aldi is super discounted and one of the ways they save money is by offering their empty boxes to fill with groceries or making you buy bags if you didn't bring your own. I usually use boxes, but I was too late. I spend $65. This will be my only trip until next month, so I need to make it all last as long as possible. Aldi is similar to Save-a-Lot, but SALs are owned by Albertsons who also run other grocery store chains in the US. I think they are better, but I have shopped at Save-a-Lot and will still go on occasion if they have a special. Aldi has many products that come right from Germany. That makes It very interesting for those of us who can't go there. Mostly, I prefer Aldi. Do you have an Aldi near you? If you are in Europe, I'm pretty sure you do, but not all places in the USA have an Aldi.
@pgntwo (22753)
• Tripoli, Lebanon
The nearest Aldi is about 20 miles away. There are 2 Lidl shops closer, each is about 8 miles away - they operate similarly to Aldi and come from Germany too.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I've heard the just opened some stores in the US in my corner of the country. We shall see, if our world hating president hasn't insulted Germany so much that they cancel their plans.
@pgntwo (22753)
• Tripoli, Lebanon
@jerzgirl Our own Prime Minister May is hammering her own agenda home, which may mean some reduction in German outlets in the UK soon too... ;(
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
@pgntwo They don't seem to get that we share this world and we need to get along. The hateful rhetoric over here insists that we should be separated by our own ethnicities with no intermingling. That concept alone accounts for so many acts of aggression over the millennia - between individuals as well as nations. It needs to stop!!
@Beatburn (3944)
We don't have it here on the country. I also don't remember seeing one when I went to the US.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
They leave the grocery items in the boxes they came in to save the cost of stocking the shelves. They just cut the tops and fronts off and put the boxes on the shelves. It's very efficient and is faster than having to unload a box to stack on the shelves - and they don't get as messed up as when people push everything around on the shelves.
@Beatburn (3944)
@jerzgirl I like the simplicity.
I LOVE the Aldi store we have within walking distance from us and that minor issue of bagged onions, and not having separate ones, MIGHT just soon be seen in their stores for I have complained about that same thing, but with lemons !
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I would love to have unbagged veggies there, but I won't complain to them because I know they offer the best prices they can. We have a green grocer a mile away and I can go there and buy single onions if I want.
No Aldi stores safeways and Albert sons have some good prices
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Albertson's actually owns Save-a-Lot as well as our ACME markets back here. I used to shop at Albertsons when I first moved to Utah. Got my wedding cake at the one near where I lived. But, for cheap stuff out there I would go to the Canned Food Store.
@Morleyhunt (21409)
We don't have Aldis, but we have NoFrills which is owned by Loblaws....excellent prices...unusually decent produce and meat. You provide your own bags or you pay $0.05 each.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
That's how ours is - 5 cents for small bags. A dime for larger ones. Or you can bring your own or grab empty boxes they have (usually) sitting to the side. Sometimes you find them on the shelves and grab them before checking out.
they just put one here..i haven't been in it yet tho..
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Have a quarter with you when you go. You'll need one to get a cart (unless you swap a cart for change when someone comes out). You get the quarter back when you put it back - it keeps them from having to send people out to the parking lot to gather the carts. You can bring your own grocery bags, too, if you remember. I never remember.
@ilocosboy (38885)
We do not have Aldi in the Philippines but there are grocery stores in the city. CSI and Save More and Puregold is common in our place.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Someone else from the Philippines commented and I told her about how they stock shelves. It's like a cross between a warehouse store (but not the mass quantities) and a traditional grocery store (lower shelves, no forklifts) plus regular display cases.
@flpoolbum (2918)
I like Aldi and Sav-A-lot. Some of the non brand names products are pretty good like the Peanut Butter at Aldi. Some private brand, however, are not as good as the name brands. You just have to try, if you are willing. If I don't like something, my niece will give them to her sons and nephew. They are all big eaters, two of them are teenagers. At least, if I din't like it I know that it won't go to waste.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Oh yeah - the peanut butter is great! The cereals are, too. Not so much on the cereals at Save-a-Lot, though. Their lower quality is noticeable, to me anyway. Aldi's versions of popular snack items are pretty good, too. Tortilla chips and salsa are excellent, but the Clancy's "cheetos" just don't quite get there.
@carebear29 (28834)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
we have one and i havent been there in a while. should go one day
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I need to go more often. The prices are good, but because of transportation, I tend to stay local with Dollar Tree and Dollar General.
Yes, I like Aldi's. I have shopped there for years. The only problem is like most stores of interest, it is located about 45 minutes away..so I don't get to go as often as I would like!
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Ours is about 10 minutes away. The one my parents went to was about the same. No full sized groceries in my little city. Just Dollar Tree and Dollar General and a small full service grocery in town center with an on-hand butcher, which is really great. But, their prices, while better than a convenience store, are more than Aldi or our Shop Rite.
I have never seen one though I hear on here about people going there.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Maybe you'll get the chance to have one come into your area. They're nothing to be afraid of trying.
Yes I go weekly for the produce sale, if they have what I want on sale. I buy milk there for $1.49 and eggs for .99, are those your prices too?
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Mine was $3.49. The eggs were $1.09. I could have gotten the milk for less at WalMart by a dollar, but it wasn't convenient and I wasn't driving myself. I can get eggs at Dollar Tree for $1, as well, but they're almost $2/doz at the regular grocery.