One Is Thrilled and the Other, Not So Much.

My son and his wife have been married for a little over a year. Both have April birthdays. When my husband went over to check that all things were running smoothly with the couple's move to a new condo, he came back home and told me, "Those kids could really use a new couch." So, for their birthdays, I sent them money to purchase a new couch. Katie sent a lovely thank-you email. She was beyond thrilled. Our son sent a thank-you email also. He was not beyond thrilled: "Hi Mom, Mom, thank you so much for the wonderful birthday gift. Katie is so excited. Mom! She keeps making me look at couch after couch online! She keeps dragging me to furniture stores to look at couches! I told her that any couch she chooses will be fine with me! She keeps telling me that I have to participate in the selection!" Love, Josh I did not tell the poor guy that he will spend many, many years being dragged from store to store, and searching online, for other important-to-Katie items for their home sweet home.
@garymarsh6 (14499)
I would also remind him if I were you that should he EVER make a suggestion and then she goes along with it he will eternally be blamed for it. Tell him to take the middle road and learn to agree in a non committal way! It makes life so much easier!
@xFiacre (5671)
@garymarsh6 I would "like" your comment several times over if it was allowed.
@garymarsh6 (14499)
@xFiacre Haha another man after my own heart! We know how to keep the peace eh and live to tell the tale!
@garymarsh6 @xFiacre TWO wise men!
I love shopping for furniture so much fun
I love it too. So many wonderful things out there. I also love shopping for the best deal too.
@Corbin5 so do I
lol it is only the beginning. He will soon realized that is how things will be from now on.
I remember when he received his MBA, and made him go with me to get two new suits. Amazed he made it through that. He, my husband too, gets so antsy in stores.
@Corbin5 my fiance is the same way. He is not a shopper at all.
@thelme55 (15125)
@Corbin5 I think men are not very fond of shopping clothes.
In our house it was the reverse. My husband loved to shop and I was dragged from store to store. Good story!
Our son adores Katie. She can get him to do things I could never get him to do.
@Corbin5 That's so sweet! And it's very nice she wants to include him.
Tell him nothing, he will discover this by himself. Women are more excited than men to buy new furniture for our homes.
Yes, one time early in our marriage, I bought a few pieces of living room furniture. I wanted my husband to go to the store and take a look at it before it was delivered. He said, "The last thing I want to do after working all day is look at furniture." I did not take him shopping with me after that.
@Corbin5 It seems that men are all the same, this is something that also my husband hates.
@CRK109 (14403)
Poor Josh! Maybe once they have children, Katie will be dragging the kids instead of him to look at furniture! lol
Yes, that would be great. Or Josh could stay with the kids at home and Katie could do her selections alone.
@CRK109 (14403)
@Corbin5 My husband used to love going shopping with me for anything. He had a better time shopping than I did! lol But most men I know are like your son.
She will learn to make decisions then tell him after the fact.
Yes, that is the way it always goes. I think she is just so excited, she wants to share the hunt with him.
@Corbin5 I am sure they both will enjoy it.
@ShifaLk (8515)
So sweet of you both to gift them.. Wow! Yeah your son needs to be habitual for this wife-things...lol
Yes, he will have to go with her for this one. He does adore Katie so I know he will unwillingly go along to make her happy.
@ShifaLk (8515)
@Corbin5 awww how cute guy!
That's right, he will be dragged along for all of those selections, but he probably wouldn't have it any other way. Happy birthday to them both!
I know. He adores Katie. Once they have a couch delivered, he can breathe a sigh of relief for a while.
@Corbin5 I don't blame her.......couch-shopping alone is no fun at all!
@thelme55 (15125)
I T is only the beginning of all the dragging from shops to shops. Your son is still lucky. He can shop online nowadays.
Yes, shopping online will save him a lot of frustration!
Poor Josh! Sometimes being married can be a sacrifice..she should tell him if he doesn't come she might pick out something pink with flowers or some other unmanly item..*snicker..
Oh yes, I should tell Katie to tell him she has chosen a pink couch with flowers. That would get him out there shopping with her.
@PainsOnSlate (20651)
There is no way I would buy a couch without my husband...I think your son needs to understand that is the way life goes.... but I don't drag it out. If I want something I look and the first one I love I take it home...
Yes, Josh will just have to get used to this. If both agree on a couch, no complaints.
@scheng1 (24741)
Searching online for couch is the least of his problem! for such items, all of us want to go to the physical store to feel the textile, and to sit on it, and to feel how soft or hard it is. Your son has to suffer for many more weeks before she gets satisfied.
Yes, he will just have to suffer. He is going to be the one who falls asleep on that couch when watching TV. Hope he lets Katie sit on it.
That is hilarious! Poor kid
It does take time to get used to marriage, that's for sure. Marriage holds lots of surprises.
lol well I hope they find a couch for me as long as you can sit on it and, it's not a hideous color I'm good.
You and my son are the same age. He also could not care less what a couch looks like and as long as he can sit on it, he is good too.
I haven't met a man yet that enjoys shopping for furniture or anything decor-related, whether on-line or off-line!
I know. My husband, since we have been married for 45 years, no longer participates in any selections for the home.
Just another happy marriage. He'll get used to it. Perhaps this one time he can just tell her the color he would prefer and let her choose the couch. Just saying.
Yes, he will adjust. He adores Katie, and he wants her to be happy, so he will just have to suffer through it. I will tell him your suggestion.
oh how funny, she just opened the door to shop without asking his opinion...lol
I know. He just agrees with every couch she shows to him.
@Corbin5 lol, I bet she showed him 100's
@CookieMonster46 I bet she did too.
And being the loving husband that he is, he will tag along with a smile - most of the time anyway! And what a kind gift. I love giving things that are really needed.
As soon as my husband told me they needed a new one, I was on it. Hooray for Moms!!!
@Corbin5 I keep my ears open for things that people need too.
Ahhh yes, wedded bliss sometimes isn't. Hopefully Katie won't give up on him ..... of course she could always simply pick out a really ugly couch just to teach him a lesson.
Oh, that is a wonderful idea. Not sure if our son knows ugly when he sees it. Hope so. Revenge for his reluctance does sound like a good idea.
Do you remember those old vinyl type couches they used to sell @Corbin5 ? They were God Aweful ugly and totally uncomfortable, if she bought one of those he'd never let her shop for furniture alone.