C'mon Grandma!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“C’mon Grandma, you can make it!” That’s what my brother-in-law said to my sister as she hauled herself up a hill to find another geocache. We’ve enjoyed having my sister and her husband visit us for the past few days, but it seems that age is getting the better of @MorleyHunt. She’s starting to have trouble keeping up. I guess that’s what happens when you get old.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
That was one steep hill. I made it to the top.....and managed to get down without falling....without any help from anyone else..... Okay....I'm starting to feel picked on.
It was your husband who made the grandma comment, I wouldn't have let mine get away with that. Of course I'm not a grandma yet either . Who knew that 12 years could make such a difference.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
@Platespinner your day will come.
@Morleyhunt Maybe, but it's still a LONG way off .
Uh oh, careful now, you're next ya know
I've got a bit to go...after all she has passed 60 and I'm still in my youthful 40s .
@UncleJoe Sigh...I knew someone would point out a bit of reality to me somewhere along the line.
oh, I see @Platespinner so bein over 60 makes her old? **tapping foot with arms folded over chest**
Your sister seems very healthy and it's not always easy to climb a steep hill, she did it.
She does quite well for her age. It's not her fault that she has passed 60 and I'm still in my 40s .
@Platespinner I have passed 65 now, but I can still climb steep hills.
@LadyDuck Good for you! @MorleyHunt can too, but she was last in line and was wise enough to be cautious; the footing was pretty treacherous.
@TheSojourner (17448)
I have visions of one of my own sisters doing this, if in the same situation. Of course, I am the eldest of the five of all siblings. And WHEN I caught up to them, I would kick each of their younger a**es!! I hope @MorleyHunt catches you when you least expect it!
@Morleyhunt (19720)
What a great comment to read....just before I close mymipad for the day.
She just left, so aside from verbal abuse here I think I'm reasonably safe for the time being.
@Platespinner *laughs*
@UncleJoe (9720)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Are you gonna take her side again? .
@UncleJoe (9720)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner It's not a matter of taking sides. What you're saying about your older sibling also applies to me. I hope you live to be my age.
@UncleJoe I've always said that I want to die young very late in life. I'm pretty sure I don't want to deal with the aches and pains that come with aging (following my mother's example in starting to lose my hearing at a young age is annoying enough). When it comes down to it, though, it's not my choice to make so I'll attempt to make the best of it.
yes we start to l ose our get up and go as we age lol lol
She's actually got a lot of get up and go left in her. However, I rather enjoy picking on her sometimes.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
There is nothing wrong with my get up and go.....it's just getting up a bit slower. I'll let you know just how quickly I can walk the 8 miles across the Confederation Bridge in June. I'll be meeting at least one other Mylotter while I'm there.
@Morleyhunt I'm still a bit envious of that...sadly I'm still busy that weekend so I can't join you.
I cannot thank myself enough that I travelled before my knees refused to do what they are expected to. Travelling using packages is quite rigorous. One needs speed of walking , etc. Now my knees cannot take a load and have slowed down. Whatever that requires brisk activity should be done before one calls herself a senior (lol)
My knees occasionally protest strenuous ups and downs, but I plan to keep doing what I can until I simply can't anymore.
@Platespinner Your knees are beckoning you to start them on physiotherapy (lol)
@Morleyhunt (19720)
I'm a senior....but have not shown that kind of slowdown yet. You should see me climb a tree.
Oh my, don't you know that the only person allowed to call anybody old is the person themself? I will occasionally refer to myself as old, but woe betide anyone else who does so. I've read your hilarious exchange with @Morleyhunt, and had a good laugh.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
We actually wrote a lot of that while sitting together laughing. We had a great week.
@Morleyhunt Oh what fun! Sitting side by side yet communicating through the computer. What a strange world we live in.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
@jaboUK we often discussed our responses before hitting send. Our husbands decided we were both just a bit crazy.
We all have our own pace, I am not the fastest hiker either, but I usually make it in the end.
Considering I walk an average of 3 or so miles every day, and she doesn't, I think she did a pretty good job of keeping up. I probably wouldn't have picked on her about it at all if her husband hadn't started it.
@Platespinner I had no idea that you walked that much! It was obvious that you were just poking a little fun at your sister, and I responded to both of your discussions, but knowing this, I wouldn't take one side or the other. But you are lucky it was @Morleyhunt and not me......you'd have had to carry me up those steep hills I'm afraid! I can be such a wimp
@Juliaacv If I don't make a point of walking regularly I can't keep up with my offspring on our weekend hikes.
@moffittjc (41986)
• Gainesville, Florida
My son and I do a lot of geo-caching here in Florida, but thank goodness for me that our terrain is flat! I'm not sure I could keep up if I had to trek up and down hills and mountains, and I'm not even old! haha
My husband and I are trying to keep in walking-fit so we can keep up with the kids on hikes. They still leave us behind on steep inclines, but at least we usually manage to catch up eventually.
@moffittjc (41986)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner I have the same problem with my son when we hike. I am in great shape, but my knees aren't quite as good as they used to be, so even though I have the strength and stamina to keep up with him, any time we hit an incline my bad knees slow me down. I blame it on all my old basketball injuries from my days of playing in high school and college.
@moffittjc Our kids have never been particularly interested in organized sports so we never pushed it. But I know several kids the age of my oldest two whose suffered serious injuries and pushed to be back out on the field as quickly as possible. I can only imagine the price they might end up paying in another 20-30 years. Most of the people my age who were active in competitive sports in their younger years are having various surgeries in an attempt to repair damage. I'm not anti-sports, but I think our culture doesn't stop to think of some of the long-term consequences.
I think that age eventually catches up with us all.
I keep hoping I can continue to outrun it .
@LeaPea2417 (19750)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is good she is trying. I need to take more walks and exercise more.
She does more than just try. She's actually quite active. I just enjoy picking on her every now and again.
@LeaPea2417 (19750)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Platespinner That is good that she is very active.
Ooohhh - you're being very brave today. I can't see this ending well!
@MorleyHunt will be heading home today, so I won't have to be on guard against something being slipped into my coffee for too much longer.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
I have pictures and stories that could cause her great embarrassment. It would be easy to suggest you watch for flying fur, but we really do love each other and are having a great time pushing each other's buttons. (We know which ones to push.)
That is funny but that is what I call my little sister that acts like she is 100
Whenever @MorleyHunt refers to me as her baby sister I'm usually quite quick to retort that she's my little sister (she's significantly shorter than I am). Our older sister is even taller than I am...so SHE really is my big sister.
@PainsOnSlate (20228)
I pick on my sister too... I'm not as fast as I was years ago either but I do enjoy the hikes...
Poor @morleyhunt getting picked on. She did better than I ever could
@Morleyhunt (19720)
I'm used to it. It's always been my fault.
@Morleyhunt And after you moved out everything was my fault. Thankfully for me, my children have learned that it's better to blame Aunt Morley who isn't around to defend herself, than it is to blame Mom.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
@Platespinner good thing I have broad shoulders.
I actually thought you lived near your sister but after just seeing a post of hers I realize it is a very long drive. I absolutely love geocaching. I cannot wait until it warms up so I can go out searching again and visit new places.
@ramapo17 (23222)
• Melbourne, Florida
Everyone is going to get there time to see how the body does slow down with age. As long as the body keeps going why make someone rush up a hill.
@PatZAnthony (12573)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Ouch! We are not getting old, we are getting older. At least I am hoping so after losing 4 people last year who were younger than me.
@sol_cee (14348)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
For the love of geocache. And more. lol