Grammarly Is Not Always Right

@bagarad (7860)
Paso Robles, California
I have mixed feelings about using Grammarly. Having it loaded makes my pages load more slowly. It is awkward to use. It tells me, for example, that I need to change a word, and then it makes it hard for me to get into the word to change it. The only time I like it is when it catches a typo and offers me the option of clicking on a correctly spelled word to fix it. When is it wrong? When it only seems to see the word directly before a verb or noun and then tells me I'm not agreeing with it. That's just one example. If I were to apply some of its corrections I would be wrong. But I just made one mistake it didn't even catch. Good thing I already caught it myself and corrected it. What Grammarly really hates is when I leave an extra space between words. It constantly sends me back to delete spaces. It annoys me. I use the free version. So far I haven't seen enough to convince me a paid version would be an improvement. Do you use Grammarly? If so, the free version or the paid? How do you like it? Have you ever seen it make a mistake? I think it might help students of English as a Foreign Language if they only write simple sentences. Grammarly is less useful if you write complex sentences with lots of phrases that act as nouns or verbs.
I had it but removed it for the same reason that you have mentioned.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
Do you miss it?
@bagarad I do not miss it as my browser has one. I am prone to typos and the red line is my saviour (lol)
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
@allknowing I'm pretty fond of that red line myself.
@Mike197602 (13497)
• Worcester, England
Never heard of it but I'll certainly be looking at it. I do sometimes write colloquial English so maybe it'd pick that up as a mistake.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
Grammarly is very fussy. It might, indeed, not like colloquial English. It's always really fussy about word order. It's constantly correcting me for saying "I would never" or "I never would." I don't remember which is correct. It didn't bother to correct any of my mistakes in this comment, but it's spinning in the comment box corner as though it's trying to. I checked a few of my grammar books, but they didn't shed much light on this, either.
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I've never used Grammarly, I mostly rely on Microsoft Word spell checker along with my gut instinct.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
That probably works better. I don't use Word anymore, but I use a similar free program now.
I don't use that program since my computer room is filled with books, two of them being a dictionary and thesaurus
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
I don't lie the inconvenience of having to stop and look things up, but I also have more than a few of these reference books on my shelves.
@bagarad ooh I enjoy that wonderful so called inconvenience cause it keeps the brain alive and me active, looking for it
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
@enlightenedpsych2 I do use them, but I know when I need to use them. I practically reread Elements of Style tonight while responding to someone on this post. It didn't explain whatever Grammarly wanted to tell me. I used to be an English teacher, for goodness sakes, and I often think this program makes mistakes because it can't deal with individual writing styles.
I have turned of the free Grammarly, I use the built in spelling checker of Chrome.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
That works most of the time but doesn't catch words that sound alike and are spelled differently.
@bagarad Well, I usually read what I have typed before submitting.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
@LadyDuck Smart lady! Human intelligence beats programmed intelligence every time.
I don't use it at all but perhaps it is useful to some.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
It's probably most useful to those who have trouble with English. They probably are the ones who make the most sentence errors, usage, and spelling mistakes.
No I dont and I like my typo`s, it makes a good conversation
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
So I see.
I know the same thing you do. I use it everyday. I just hate how it keeps saying sign in when I never sign out.
@bagarad (7860)
• Paso Robles, California
Mine never asks me to sign in.