It is just Six in the morning

I got a phone call, I am riding the bus today. Of course, that was if I wanted to. Advantages: I do not spend gas money for work. I do not drive. I leave later. I get an extra hour's pay for the day. Disadvantages: I have to have everything done by the time I put my student on the bus as I will ride with him. I do not have my car available if I want to go eat outside. Not likely today however as it is very cold. I have just barely gotten online. I will have to see who else is here.
How do you get an extra hour's pay by riding a bus?
The law says that if there are special needs kids on the bus there has to be a paraprofessional riding to manage behaviors and health needs. If the regular bus rider is ill I substitute and I get paid a half hour for each direction. They cannot ask me to be responsible for kids and not pay me.
@GardenGerty That makes sense now that you explained it.
@AbbyGreenhill I forget that not everyone has the same experiences with kids and special needs. I also suppose an urban reader might think of a city bus, or public transportation.
So I gather you rode the bus.
Yes, I did. It lets me get acquainted with more kids in the school as well. Sometimes some of the other kids just need a friendly face to talk with.
Nice to get the extra hour's pay.
@GardenGerty .....Sounds like a fun group. Life should be so complicated right? Kids have such a hard life.
@celticeagle At this age mostly what they need is just a verbal reminder.
@GardenGerty ....I wish that my 14 year old ODD grandson were that easy to direct.
I was going to ask the same question as @AbbyGreenhill.
They cannot ask me to ride the school bus and be responsible for kids and not pay me to do so.
@GardenGerty As rules here are different, this is something I did not know. Only professional bus drivers with a special license can ride a School bus, never a teacher.
@sallypup (26658)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Sounds pretty good to me.
It works out well.
@GardenGerty Hmm.. Sounds like a Blessing with a bit of a bite!
It is really okay. I get along well with all the kids.
@PatZAnthony (12573)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It seems like riding the bus certainly has ups and downs. Which do you really prefer?
I like the extra hour. I actually get more personal time, because I must leave work on time and cannot linger, either. If it was offered to me full time I would do it.
@PatZAnthony (12573)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@GardenGerty It is good that this is what you enjoy.
@CRK109 (14465)
Sounds to me that advantage win out! Most of the time, I don't miss not having a car. I think about all the money I'm saving and that makes me pretty happy.
Everything is so far away from whee we live and there is no public transportation, so we have to have at least one car apiece to work.
@CRK109 (14465)
@GardenGerty I know so many people who have to have cars. I loved having a car when I did have one. It allows for so much freedom. But I've learned to adjust to my new life now.
I wouldnt want to do it every day, but really nice for some days
It would certainly make for a different routine.
@Lubuto (2261)
• Zambia
It sounds exciting and adventurous, i mean kids are great to be with.
The children I work with directly have some special problems. They have health issues and mental and behavior issues. I do enjoy them, though and am intrigued by them as well.