Is It Ok To Be Selfish?

Guam
"I", "me", "my" and "mine" are words about you as a person or as an individual, right? However, most of us were raise to think more of other person rather than our selves. To serve others and be a man (woman) for others. The song "The Greatest Love of All" talks about "learning to love yourself as the greatest love of all", so is it ok to be selfish? Is it alright to think first of our selves before other person? What's your view? Picture credit: http://loranegordon.com/yourhappinessway/be-selfish/
How can anyone think of another if they do not care for them first?
• Guam
@allknowing Sounds practical to me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Agreed. Not narcissism. Not self-absorbtion. Not selfishness (mine!). But self-acceptance.
• Guam
@TheHorse Right.
@1hopefulman (24841)
What do you think selfish means? If we think of ourselves before someone else why would that be selfish? In an airplane do they not tell to first take of ourselves before we take care of others concerning the oxygen mask? When I serve food, I usually taste it first before I serve it to others? Am I being selfish? What do you think?
• Guam
Alright, good observation and question. For me being selfish is not thinking about the good and welfare of others at all but being too much absorbed with oneself or being too egocentric or to a certain degree being too narcissistic. When we don't care at all to our fellowmen or that we cannot be bother at all, that for me is being selfish. When we don't share our time, money and effort to the less fortunate ones when we can and when we have the time, this for me is selfishness.
@1hopefulman (24841)
@megatron777 From my point of view what you describe is selfishness and I don't think that is ok.
• Guam
@1hopefulman Yes, that's selfishness indeed.
One has to love oneself in order to love others.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, that's what I said before reading your comment.
@TheHorse Oh, you probably stole my comment, but that's ok.
@rusty2rusty (6767)
• Defiance, Ohio
Sometimes one has to be selfish. As one must take care of themselves before they can take care of anyone else.
• Guam
Sounds practical.
I think that would depend on the situation you find yourself in.
• Guam
@Kandee Alright, I also think so.
• Finland
Sometimes it's good to think about yourself and not others all the time but it depends on the situation
• Guam
@GegeTheMechanic Alright, thank you for the response.
I think it is very normal. I am important, my family and friends are important. Of course I think think about myself and the people who I know at first.
• Guam
@youless Look sound thought to me.
@SHOHANA (7097)
• Bangladesh
my answer is YES, We should also love ourselves and take care ourselves. People may call us selfish, people always think the way they are actually
@ridingbet (43795)
we must love ourselves and that is not selfishness. it is not the I thing, but it is the selfless I thing. and we must love God like we love ourselves.
• Preston, England
not only ok but essential - to help others we need some me time in life too
@ShifaLk (7371)
Being selfish is not good but yes i sometimes think more about myself. Maybe that's selfishness, or what i don't know
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I try not to be selfish but I love the greatest love of all by Whitney Houston.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think you have to love yourself before you can truly love others. But that doesn't mean being selfish. It just means being...accepting...of self and others.
@delhshop (773)
this character and many other charcter like jealousy are in us and if they are to some limit and under your control then its great, but yea its normal to have that character