I'm Taxed for This, That, and Everything

Today was the day we had to get our new license plates for our newer vehicle. Although we've pretty much driven used, old, decrepit vehicles for the last 17 years, we did indulge in a new vehicle in 2015 because of my husband's long commute. He needed something reliable to drive those many miles every day. In our state, we pay our property tax before we are allowed to renew our tags. So if our tags expire and we don't have the money to pay the property tax, we are OUT OF LUCK. It's a little stressful at times because in addition to that, our state requires an inspection before each time we renew our tags as well. Sometimes that results in money spent and again, can be quite stressful. Today was the first time we have had to pay the taxes on our car since purchasing the car in 2015. We had to pay about $700 in property taxes on a very moderately priced car. It's nothing fancy. It's a small Kia. Very basic. So let's me get this straight: I had to pay sales tax when I bought the car, property tax every single year, and of course, that money that I am paying for the car taxes has ALREADY been taxed at the federal, state, and local level... And don't even get me started on having to pay taxes on my groceries! I understand the need for taxes to support many things to make things run, but it really is a bit much when you think about it.
I remember when our state quit making people have inspections before they could get new tags. It was about time. My dad has paid off his house, but when he retires he'll still have to move because the property taxes are too high. I feel for you. It's tough to pay all that when you're just getting by.
i think the inspections are ridicuous. we did find a place where the guy pretty much always passes you, thankfully. we used to go to these places and EVERY TIME they would find something expensive. my brother in law was a mechanic, i'd tell him what they said. he'd always say it was fine.... he'd look. it was ridiculous
It is expensive w hen you get a new car to buy those license plates. And taxes on your house are up there to. At least in Oregon there is no taxes on food or anything else. No state taxes.
i understand that there are only a handful of states that charge tax on groceries. and yes, of course, we are one of the states with tax. a nd i live in a stupid city that charges tax too
@Morleyhunt (21007)
Property taxes on a car....that seems absurd. We pay it as gas tax. A litre of gasoline has $0.34 cents of tax added ...then we pay 13% sales tax on the gasoline as well as on the gasoline tax....so far most of the groceries are tax free....but toilet paper...sanitary napkins....potato chips, they are taxed.
oh yes, we pay taxes when we buy gasoline as well.... yep. more taxes.
It is beyond too much I agree.
i understand some of them, but not as much as there are
We are all in the same boat!
it's frustrating.... then, if we don't tag our vehicle, we will get a ticket... but we need our vehicle to drive to work to make money to pay the taxes... sigh
I would be upset too. That sounds beyond ridiculous to me.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
And when you sell the car, the buyer will pay sales tax on it again, even though you already paid that tax.. We do not have to pay property tax on a car, I actually never heard of that before! We just pay a flat fee of like $80 every other year to renew the plates for 2 years. We do have to do an inspection once a year, but it's not based on when the plates have to be renewed. You get a sticker that shows the month it was inspected in, and so it needs to be done the following year before the end of the same month. It often does coincide with when the plates are up for renewal just because the car is generally inspected in the same month as it's purchased and registered.. although sometimes with used cars it will already be inspected and that inspection may be good for a few more months so you wait until then.
wow, i just figured everyone paid property taxes on cars. ugh. i need to move!
@jillybean1222 What state do you live in so I know not to move there? I know some places are crazy, like in PA they won't pass inspection if there's rust on the car. My husband has to remove the tint from his windows as that won't pass in NY state, but he bought the car in Ohio and it was fine there.
It is all so confusing. Apart from not knowing what tags are this thing about paying property tax that is connected with a car purchase?
the property tax is paid every single year on the car in addition to a tax i paid when it was purchased... it's insane.
@jillybean1222 Here property tax is for the house we own and we pay every year.
@Prshnth (921)
• Bangalore, India
i think your government going through tough days..........
i think governments are too big and take too much of my money
Getting taxed on virtually the same stuff several times over is the pits. It happens here too with some things.
I get it. We are looking into buying an RV and the taxes will be enough to pay off my current daily driver. I completely get that we need taxes to cover roads and emergency management persons. I will pay my taxes to fund schools and help the needy. There is a lot of fluff that my taxes are covering too on top of paying the government workers to sit down and make all these taxes. I cant say that I could do better if it were all my job but I am pretty sure I couldn't do worse.
yes. i even was thinking of buying a hitch trailer thing to pull bicycles on if we wanted to take all 6 bikes and go somewhere and there would be a tax on that hitch trailer!!!!!!
@sol_cee (17412)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
That's a headache but you're one respectable taxpayer who pays your dues.
yes, i am. i like your user name btw
@KrauseHome (35517)
Wow ... and I thought living in WA state had a lot of taxes.