Brine For the Outhouse?

@Morleyhunt (19750)
My husband manages two poultry farms. One is next door to us and the other one is about a quarter mile around the corner. They are not owned by the same people, but are operated in many ways as one farm. New regulations were passed I. The last year and both farms needed to have an outhouse on the premises. The outhouses were installed early in the fall and then my husband had to set them up so they would be equipped with toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer and brine. I said brine? Why brine? The brine is to keep them from freezing in the winter....okay.....that makes sense. We'll get back to the brine. Meanwhile, my husband purchase the hand sanitizer for each farm....and a large package of toilet paper....again...for each farm. Then he needed paper towel.... He brought the paper towel and went to put it in the dispenser....standard paper towel doesn't fit. Okay, not to be deterred he had rolls of absorbent paper...he would cut them to the correct length....the spindle wouldn't fit. Back to the drawing board. Eventually he had to order paper towel.....boxes with a hundred rolls for each farm....that's probably a 25 year supply! Now back to the brine.....how to make the appropriate brine. We checked online...dissolve rock salt in water....that sounded simple enough....too bad the salt wouldn't dissolve. Eventually we ended up with water softener salt to make the brine. Who knew that setting up a couple of outhouses would be so complicated? We used to just set a pail under the opening. @shaggin asked to be tagged.
I have discovered that the paper towel I buy (no matter what brand) does not fit into the paper towel dispenser I have in my kitchen. I have to Cut the cardboard with a big sharp knife. I have always wondered why don´t they make the towels to fit the dispensers. I have seen in other houses that people just give up and place the paper towels anywhere while the dispenser is empty and nice placed in a wall.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Mine fit on the dispenser in my kitchen....usually it is empty.
@Trensue (5256)
I think I would purchase a new dispenser
I've never seen one of those with water...so you mean keep pee from freezing...I didn't think it could LOL. Not a pro on these things, I avoid them at all costs.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Yup...the brine on the holding tank is to keep poopsicles from forming. Yes pee can freeze. I don't use an outhouse often....I can hold it for a long time.
@Morleyhunt What a x-rated topic this has become LOL!
@crossbones27 (19579)
• Redlands, California
Yep, and that is why there is no simple left in this world. I swear our leaders try to make everything as complicated as possible which just becomes really costly for us. Hard to be self sufficient in this world.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I'm still very self sufficient. I don't need a great deal...but I do like my indoor plumbing.
Nothing is ever easy it seems! Glad he finally got the two of them set up after all the set backs!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
We actually got a lot of laughs out of the paper towel and the brine. The things we've learned.
@Morleyhunt Yes I guess..you just never think of things like that until you actually have to do them.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@Happy2BeMe like I said....who knew?
@theBlock (2627)
@Morelyhunt Hey-there!...Thanks-for-the-info-on-brine....I-love-to-learn-about-anything-and-everything....Too-bad-I-didn't-learn-too-much-as-a-kid
@Morleyhunt (19750)
The things you learn on Mylot.
@theBlock (2627)
@Morleyhunt I-learned-a-few-things-here---that's-for-sure.
Wow that is quite an ordeal to get an outhouse up and running. Here the parks just order one and have it delivered and people come weekly to clean and empty it. Now the only brine I know is a type of shrimp so I am a little confused on the whole salt creating part of this post. I went to a gas station once a few winters ago. Inside the portajohn it was ice everywhere. I think somehow rain got inside and then froze. I couldn't sit on the seat and had to be careful not so slip on the ice covered floor. It was awful lol
@Morleyhunt (19750)
We needed to make a brine for in the holding tank to keep it from freezing. You dissolve salt with water and it will keep it from freezing if the temperature drops....after -30C it will freeze....even with brine.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@shaggin this one was spotless...brand new....I'm glad I'm not the one required to clean it.
@Morleyhunt Who does have to clean it? Your husband?
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I have used a lot of outhouses in my life time, all one to three holes... I've never heard of a brine for the winter, I do remember ashes be sprinkled after use and some even had herbs to toss in but not one that I know of worried about freezing...
@Morleyhunt (19750)
It was news to me...but they are a bit different from the outhouses I grew up with. If they were in constant use...they wouldn't be as susceptible to freezing.
@Morleyhunt Possibly because they are chemical rather than dirt. I remember my sister hired four that looked like the photo above for her daughters summer outdoors wedding and the next day they just picked them up, all of the ones I've been in were holes in the ground, not chemical...
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@PainsOnSlate this one isn't really chemical....it has a holding tank...similar to the pail I remember under the hole....but it wouldn't see enough use to have a lot of waste. The waste creates heat as it decomposes so once it has stuff in it the need for brine would probably not be as important.
Standard outhouses can't be used? I prefer an outhouse over a portapotty!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
This is now a permanent porta potty. The farm next door has a red one (pictured), the other farm has a green one.
@Morleyhunt as a child I remember using outhouses when we visited family and friends who lived on farms or just chose to have an outhouse.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@ElusiveButterfly we finally had I do plumbing whe I was about 9 years old...until then it was an outhouse.
Wow, that was a real pain in the behindgetting them set up.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
It was, but now they are in place and they've been used a few times by the chicken catchers and barn cleaners.
@Morleyhunt glad you got them up.
We have a paper towel dispenser in the toilet we built for the music shack. We are able to buy rolls that fit luckily. We don't need brine! It is never going to freeze - ever!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Once the outhouse has a certain amount of wast the risk of freezing would. It be so grat....decomposition creates a certain amount of heat....but we were expecting cold weath long before there could be any accumulation.
I had to do this to you, I tried like all heckydarn to find some of the better clips of Arte as Wolgang but this was the best I could find ...... hey, at least he didn't say stupid
Clip from the US TV series “Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In” (1960s – ‘70s)
@Morleyhunt (19750)
That was a nice response. I'm still giggling.
Oh good @Morleyhunt I aim to make ya giggle
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@rebelann it worked.
That really is a complicated procedure to set up an outhouse!!! I think the pail under the opening served people just as well.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I remember my dad getting rid if the bucket of waste ever two or three weeks. I'm not a fan of outhouses....but if I'm desperate. They are better than nothing.
@Morleyhunt I appreciate them too!!
@Fleura (7191)
That sounds rather more complicated than necessary! Still have you have a flood or need a lot of paper towels suddenly for some reason you know where to go!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@Platespinner (16492)
Rather salty title .
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I considered racy.
@UncleJoe (9942)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Don't you just love fried chicken? Or do you tend to gag on it these days? LOL When I hauled hogs we used to have to dip our boots into a disinfectant that had rock salt in it during winter.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I still eat a lot of chicken....Kentucky Yucky isn't on the menu too often...it tends to be a bit greasy and gives me heartburn. When I managed two chicken barns I had to step into a foot bath of disinfectant every time I went in or out of the barn....it was inside the barn so no rock salt was added to the solution.
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
who knew there were so many rules for them??!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
We were a bit surprised at the brine, but it does make sense. Our temperatures can get pretty cold in the winter.
A lot of work for a potty
@Morleyhunt (19750)
It sure turned into a bit of a circus before everything was in place. Outhouses were just not that complicated when I was a child.
That is a lot of work for him to do twice, one for each.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
It's a lot of paper towel to buy. 100 rolls for each farm. He anticipates that they might go through three rolls a year...if that.
That is modernization and what it comes with.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I learned a lot about modern outhouses.
Things are definitely more complicated and tedious with all the regulations we have today!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Seemed so simple. Then it was delivered. If it was used more often it would be simpler....then sanitation services would come regularly....this gets used maybe half a dozen times every 6 weeks or so.