What does the expression catch my drift mean.

Good afternoon and glad to be back talking to you. as the title there.What does it mean?My sis in law send me a cookie recipe. Then she draw a a little diagram to tell me how to lay out the cookies. Then she says.I do not draw too well.But you catch my drift? That was it.I never bother looking it up.but she was the only one that I heard this. Have you?then tell me or us here about.You catch my drift. The day is good .I had a good day.But very sad about our vacation was cancelled.But we have credit.So we can plan another one. Got to get this BP down.I miss tennis so much. Okay,stop complaining.LOL the photo is Milano,Italy
@Asylum (46759)
• Manchester, England
This is quite a common phrase over here and roughly means understand what I am trying to say. It refers to the drift of the conversation.
@Asylum I only heard this expression from my sis in law.Never anyone else.I thought that may have been that the person who could finish out the conversion and this was a cop out.Catch my drift
@Asylum (46759)
• Manchester, England
@amadeo I cannot imagine how she encountered the phrase unless she heard it in a British television show.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum It is quite common in the US really.
@1hopefulman (19508)
Usually the expression is, if you catch my drift which means, am I clear enough, do you understand what I am saying? So, I think she means that you are not very clear but she understand what you are saying.
I know the meaning.But I feel a cop out on this.The party was short of wording and to cut it short .That what they say. catch my drift.
I've heard and used 'catch my drift' from time to time. It means you've understood what I'm trying to say.
@JudyEv I never use this at all.I know many people do.I always thought this it was the lack of words. Still think that it is a cop out.No offend to you.That is just my feeling
@amadeo I guess it does mean that the person is not going to explain something properly but is leaving you to do all the work. I hadn't of it in that way before.
@PainsOnSlate (18995)
I use that often, and it does just mean "do you know what I'm saying". I hope you get that BP down soon, so important for your health.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Agreed!
It stands for "If you know what I mean." She just thought you would know what she meant even if her drawing was not that good. I know how disappointed you must be about missing your vacation. Wish we were not taught to follow doctor's orders, but we must!
Of all the people I know.they never say this.I only hear it from my sis in law.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a great photo! I have heard the expression for many years, used, I guess, when people feel their explanations or opinions are not well thought out or clear.
• Pleasant Hill, California
As I was reading through the comments, I realized it could also be used when someone is in a position where they can't fully explain something. For me that might be telling another teacher to "watch our little friend. He's on a roll today. Catch my drift?" when he (the "on a roll" kid) is nearby.
@TheHorse thank you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can't remember when this was a "popular" phrase. It has a '70s feel to me. But I'm familiar with it and use it now and then.
@The Horse I have not heard this for some time.My family always say this?
I am surprised that it was the first time that you ever heard that expression "catch my drift". I hear it quite often here.
@bunnybon7 (32484)
• Holiday, Florida
beautiful. never been there wish i had just once. does your BP go up when you play tennis? to bad about your trip. that probably help you feel better.
@bunnybon7 did not noticed there.But I am sure that it goes up some. I feel fine.that is the weird part of it.It is coming down slowly. Wonder why that it is always high in the morning.The med worn out.LOL Have a good morning.
@bunnybon7 (32484)
• Holiday, Florida
@amadeo probably true
@crossbones27 (14888)
• Redlands, California
It just means, do you know what I am saying or mean. That you are comprehending what someone is telling you. I hope you get where you need to be because life without tennis is not much of a life at all.
@crossbones27that is for sure there.I will be back soon.Believe me.I am a stubborn person.Catch my drift.
• Redlands, California
Do you catch my drift is another word for "do you know what I mean" or you know what I mean. I use this expression also sometimes. That pic is beautiful of Milano Italy.
@AngelaMc I feel this is a cop out and the person could not remember.So catch my drift.What?lol
@amadeo It might be a cop out Lol, and they possibly couldn't remember. Your sis in law probably uses that phrase a lot and thought you new what it meant.
@alberello75 (12909)
• Genova, Italy
Dear friend. Now you are still in Milano?
@alberello75 no this was last year when we were there.I been there a few times.I wish I was
@alberello75 (12909)
• Genova, Italy
@amadeo If by chance you had to go back to Italy, you may tell it to me. I can invite you to eat at my home. For me, just a great pleasure!
@LeaPea2417 (14521)
• Toccoa, Georgia
"Catch My Drift" means "Do You Understand What I Am Saying"?
@LeaPea2417 I know what its mean.I have never ever use to this.
That is a common expression..I use it sometimes.
She means you get what she is saying
@shraon6345 yes I know.but I feel this was a short cut out.
I hope that you can reschedule your trip soon
@Hate2Iron (7326)
It's funny how you hear a phrase and instantly know what it means but have no idea the origin. I can just imagine how confusing that would be to someone from another country!
Don't feel sad - you can go on another vacation.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
We use it quite often here to say do you understand what I am telling you! I love the photo.