Not all humor is funny

Take today's 'comedy' shows....I tried to watch a few of them. They were not funny or even a little humorous at all. But I can watch The Golden Girls or Roseanne in reruns and literally laugh out loud many times. Those shows were funny, as was Home Improvement. I actually prefer to watch a funny rerun than a boring current show. Heck, some commercials are funnier! Not all humor in print is funny either. I think I'm funny, heck, I know I'm funny and I don't mean just in looks. I have always had a sense of humor and I am careful about how and where I use it. I hate it when I say something funny and someone with no sense of humor asks me to explain it. That's like a knife in my gut. There are different types of humor - some is so dry it needs watering While others try too hard to be funny and they fail. Humor isn't something learned, it's either in you or it isn't. I don't want to be a stand-up comic since I prefer to laugh sitting down. I hope I have made you laugh or at least smile. But enough about me...do you think you're funny? Photo from Pixabay
I think I am funny yes... sometimes. I agree with you. Comedy movies and series lately is not comedy at all. And they put so much filth in most of them nowadays too. Old time classics you could sit with all the family and enjoy a good laugh together. Even stand up comedians were better those days. Now all they do is drop a bunch of "F" bombs and think they're funny. I used to watch all 3 of those series you just mentioned. Including Everybody Loves Raymond, the Cosby show, Perfect Strangers, the Nanny, etc. It doesn't matter how many times you watch them, they're still funny.
Yup her voice is really something. @AbbyGreenhill
@HAPPSINGH I don't know what that is.
@HAPPSINGH yeah I don't watch anything in Urdu.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I used to think I was funny but Becky tells me I'm not, so, I guess I'm not.
Becky is the boss although you probably wear the pants...we all think you're funny (most of the time)
My husband and I both feel like you. Modern television shows for the most part are disappointing
I can find more humor just walking through PigglyWiggly LOL. I say that because we were at PW this am LOL.
@AbbyGreenhill we have a Piggly Wiggly near our house
@Tampa_girl7 I think every tiny hamlet in the south has one! We have been in nicer ones and some that are awful. Not my favorite but it beats driving 30 mins. for a dozen eggs.
@LoriAMoore (9743)
I think I should try stand-up comedy! I agree that very few of today's tv shows are funny. Have you seen Two Broke Girls? Smut, obscene, smut that passes for comedy nowadays.
Never saw it - heard about ...I rahter watch HGTV foodnetwork of a movie.
I like those shows as well since they are actually funny. I don't like comedies now because their dirty most of the time and that's not funny to me. I am not funny at all. I don't even try to be because I would look like an idiot. My husband however is very funny and could have been a comedian if he liked being on stage. He prefers making a small group laugh rather than an audience.
Yes, today's 'funny' stuff is usually more on the x-rated side. My husband is funny a few times a year - he does come up with a good one but not often...I let him think he's funny.
I agree that many modern shows are boring. I have a good sense of humor, I do not know if I am funny, I like to know when I make people laugh and do this on purpose.
There have been many comments you made that are quite funny!
@AbbyGreenhill We had a friend who was really a funny man, he made everybody laugh. His wife was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, one day she said something (not meant to be humorous) and people made an effort not to laugh. It was at this moment that her husband looking at her said "the difference between you and me, it is that I know when I make people laugh". We felt all so bad for her, luckily she did not understand.
@LadyDuck He does not sound like a very nice husband/person to say that to her.
@ridingbet (36601)
i just love that lady in Golden Girls, the one who is a flirtatiously funny. is she still alive? no, not Betty White of that tall lady.
@ridingbet (36601)
@AbbyGreenhill i like Betty White. without making her face look funny, when she delivers her lines, it is already amusing. what is the name of that one who is flirting with men?
@ridingbet Blanche....
@ridingbet (36601)
@AbbyGreenhill oh, i see. she was a natural comedienne and i loved her puns.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
My mother won't watch US comedies because she says people are forever shouting at each other. And funnily enough, I think she's got a point.
I think your mother is right - a lot of tv is shouting or murder, or blood or stuff I have no interest in seeing/hearing.
@ boiboing I know what she means. I always turned away from "Everybody Loves Raymond" just for that reason. But then I watched a couple of episodes and got caught up in it, and didn't notice it was all shouting any more.
@paigea I think the shouting works for that show.
@Micmac (6783)
I started to watch some of the new comedy series, but had to turn most of them off because they bore me. The Big Bang Theory is a funny show. The older comedy show are way more funnier - the Carol Burnett show, Honeymooners, Happy Days, Seinfeld are my favorites.
The HOneymooners - now you are really going back in time LOL - Yes Ralph and crew were funy - to the moon Alice!
@Micmac (6783)
@AbbyGreenhill yes that was his trade mark line. Ralph and Norton- so hilarious!
I can be funny, not always intentionally though, hhehehe
When you spit tea out of your nose you are funny for sure. Wish I could see it when it happens - not
@AbbyGreenhill pfft, I haven't done that in awhile. speaking of tea....-ambles off to go get, as it should be brewed by now-
I like humour that has a bit of wit to it - like yours. Humour that relies on four-letter words or crassiness really gets my goat.
I avoid the 'bad words', I don't think using them makes anything funny. Thanks for liking my humor, that makes two of us.
@AbbyGreenhill Haha! I'm pretty sure there are a few more out there that like your humour too.
I smile every day.I love humor.I know I am.Sometimes overdoing it.LOL Have a good morning.
Thanks Alfredo - I think it will be a good day - hope you are resting!
@AbbyGreenhill I am and hate it.LOL
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I agree with you, most of today's comedies are bland. I prefer the old, classic comedy TV shows and movies that make me burst with laughter.
I cold watch Reba over and over and over - and I have.
• Marion, Kansas
I do not think I am funny. I think I am entirely too serious for words. I agree about television shows, though.
I am serious when necessary - funny when it hits me and middle of the road the rest of the time.
I think you are funny in your writing. I know I am not a funny person.
It is funny that I'm funny since it doens't always want to come out! I can't force it. You have had some fun comments!
@tzwrites (3446)
I watch some of the newer comedy films/shows and I don't find it funny at all and I'm 25....
See, age doesn't matter when it comes to being funny!
Yes I am. I put humor in every conversation. Most of the time I have to say I am serious when I really am. They seem to be always waiting for a punchline. Lol
Sometimes that punchline is easy to throw out there
@AbbyGreenhill true and theyalways look forward to my punchlines.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I feel the same way about most comedy shows. I just can't see the humor.
Sometims the mistakes the news team in Chattanooga makes are way funnier than comedy shows.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill I hardly ever watch the news on TV. I read the newspapers.
@PainsOnSlate (19028)
You made me smile and that was good...I have been seeing what SNL has been doing to spoof Trump and it makes me laugh out loud. I don't stay up to watch the show but the clips are on Facebook...
I will tape SNL tonight, since we don't stay up that late LOL. Glad to make you smile, that's why I'm here.
@megatron777 (3841)
• Guam
Nope, I'm a clown.
Lol, I would bet you are !!