Its That Time Of Year Again - Fire Starters

My sister mentioned she was ready for Camp Insanity on a text the other day and I let her know I'm making "Fire Starters" right now getting ready for our yearly camping event. The photo above tell s the story. We use Fire-starters while camping - the home made kind and they work like a charm. Those egg cartons are done and waiting for camp. The two smaller photos show my making the fire-starters, its easy and cheap. My friends save me their empty egg cartons and their dryer lint, I save mine too. I have a small heater that holds a canning jar (because I broke the container that came with the heater) I break up candles that I buy for pennies at the local charity shops or yard sales and melt the wax, in the mean time I fill the egg cartons with dryer lint - making 12 fire-starters in each carton. When the wax is melted I pour it over the lint and close the carton and add it to my stash.... So easy, so cheap and they work. When camping we have our firewood under a tarp and also have an egg carton under the tarp too. When we start a fire we use two of three of the "eggs" (including the paper under the wax and lint) and touch them with a match and poof - the fire is started... If we have left overs I leave them with my sister and she uses them to start her wood stove all winter. My daughter took my last batch to use in her wood stove. We use them in the fireplace all winter too.. I make the fire starters while I am painting, its on a bench across from where I sit and I unplug the heater when I leave the room... So easy and they really work!
I also use wax fire starters they are clean and work very well. The egg cartoons have plenty of uses. I use them to seed tomatoes and other veggies.
That's a cool idea too for egg cartons.
@PainsOnSlate It's a great material, I plant in the garden as it.
They sound handy. I never use the dryer so don't have any dryer lint!
Since my son doesn't do his laundry anymore here I am low on lint so my best friend saves hers for me.... This summer he will be doing laundry again here so I will stash it for next year...
@Platespinner (16527)
I've used egg cartons and old broken crayons warmed briefly in the oven on cookie sheets. I haven't made them in years, since we no longer have the continual supply of broken crayons that we had when the kids were younger. Of course, I haven't entirely run out of them yet either.
We make new every summer just because they are used up over the winter in wood stoves.
@PainsOnSlate It's rare that I resort to them in the house during the winter. A few sections of paper egg carton (though my supply is going to run out now that I am no longer buying eggs) and a couple of pieces of kindling and I'm good to go.
@Platespinner I know that works and we did that too but for outside and often a damp camp because of the river so close the fire starters are wonderful
Very cool idea. I must do this.
It s great for camping, backyard fires and any time you need to slight up the world.
@PainsOnSlate I am going to start making them this week. I wish I had known sooner I just got rid of a whole stack of egg cartons.
Those are so handy!! You will be all set for your camping trip.
Yup, I have enough already but will continue to make them for my sister....
I always buy a bag of fine kindling wood to take when we go.
We handle a hatchet well after all these yeas of camping. I used to paint on wood and had boxes left over after I started slate, we take that old wood and it splits easily with a tap of the hatchet and its old and dry so it helps start the campfire. Its our kindling.
I never would have thought to do something like that. I would need gasoline to start a fire if I was out in the woods lol. At home I just use crumpled up newspaper and a stove lighter. I love to see all the cool ways people reuse things so I loved reading this post! A friend of mine has chickens so I always save my empty egg cartons for her.
When my daughter had chickens I saved the extra egg cartons for her too...And before we started using these I would put in a couple of bags of newspapers to start the fire, but this way its so fast and easy with a little handful of wood chips or twigs....
@Shellyann36 (8911)
I did not think about the egg carton fire starters. Thank you for the idea. I have used my empty toilet paper rolls and stuffed them with dryer lint for firestarters. Have you tried that?
I haven't, I have only used the egg cartons, each having a dozen starters in each. It takes around tow or three to get a fast fire... we love them!
@PainsOnSlate If you ever run out of the cardboard egg cartons, you can always give the tubes a try!
@Shellyann36 I will do that!
Do you melt the candles in the canning jar? Is that what you're saying? That's a great idea. I've been saving my dryer lint too but I only dry the towels in the drier so I don't have a lot.
yes I use a canning jar to sit on the small heater I have and the candles melt in it very well...I have friends who save dryer lint for me...
@PainsOnSlate I'd need someone saving lint too as I wouldn't have enough for more than one or two fire-lighters.
I always wondered who they named that movie after I'll have to try that when I get ready to burn some of my really old useless documents.
It works like a charm and and you made me laugh...
Oh good, I wooda been devastated if you'd been insulted @PainsOnSlate I remember you mentioning this before, I actually tried it with the lint but I didn't have any wax, it's kinda worked but lint fizzels fast.
• Portland, Connecticut
You are so organised but I guess with years of experience you would be. I think that sounds like a great idea.
It make starting a camp fire easier, The only thing that slows us down now is rain, but we have pop ups to keep us dry now and we love the ease of those too...
@salonga (27992)
Nice! I did not realize egg cartoons can serve that purpose. Thanks you for this tip.
Thank you for your comment.
@FayeHazel (16602)
They actually sound fun to make, too. Sometime, I keep telling myself - I will get into making candles.
@katsmeow1213 (29029)
I've heard of this before.. actually you may have originally been the one who told me, as we like to have bonfires in the yard in the summer, and now we also camp. I tend to just use small twigs to get the fire started, gradually working up to logs. I might try this though.. why not.. problem is my egg cartons tend to be styrofoam.
Yah, don't use Styrofoam...just the paper ones....
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
I wouldn't have thought of doing something like that. It is a brilliant idea. I use egg boxes for seedlings. I used to send them in to m y daughter's primary school as they were always looking for material to make things.
Someone else mentioned starting seeds in them, good idea.,
There is a lady at work that makes them also, but she uses the take out coffee trays from Tim Hortons, she likes big fires I guess!
That would work and it would be a bigger fire for a few minutes but the end result would be the same. Good Idea, I will share that with my friends with fire pits and wood stoves.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a very creative idea and one that could be used in preparing an emergency preparedness kit as well.
Never thought of that but you got that right!