Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean it can't be good.

@sissy15 (5693)
One thing I've learned in life is that life isn't fair. There will always be someone who has more than you, and someone who has less than you. No matter how bad you have it someone else has it worse. I see a lot of college students who have their entire education paid by their parents, and I see some who have to struggle their way through. I see high schoolers working hard in order to get scholarships. I did have it harder than a lot of people, I grew up poor. My parents didn't have money, but they did their best to make sure I had what I needed. That's more than a lot of kids had. I had a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food in my belly. I had toys to play with and parents who loved me. When I think about my childhood I don't see the things I didn't have, I see all of the things I did have. It would have been nice if my parents could have paid for me to go to school or could have given me more advantages in life, but I still had it a lot better than a lot of people. I probably would have been more successful now if my parents could have helped me more financially or if they could have helped pay for tutors for me and gotten me all of the help I needed as a kid, but they did the best they could and that's all I could ask for. I had parents that cared about me, and that's more than a lot of kids had/have. I see people that had so many more advantages than me in life and I see how successful they are, and all I can think is "I hope they can appreciate everyone and everything that helped get them there." Some people start at the bottom and are poor and they work their way to the top with very little help from anyone, but they still had moments and opportunities that helped get them there. Something happened for them that may not have happened for someone else. Opportunities have to pop up, and whether we take them or not is on us. I am sure I've passed up a lot of opportunities and that's on me, but I feel like I am where I am because I need to be here at the moment. Sometimes the best thing to happen for people is hitting rock bottom because it forces them to take a look at their life and work their way back to the top. I don't think I want to have to get to that point in order to see the bigger picture, that's why I'm trying to see it right now before it gets to that point. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, at one time I thought I had it figured out but I didn't. As I've gotten older my dreams have changed and I'm trying to figure out what I want for my future apart from the obvious goals. I, of course, want the best for my son and I want a happy, healthy family. Apart from that I still have a lot of thinking to do. I've realized that some of the people with the least amount of advantages in life find a way to the top, and some of those with the most advantages go on a downward spiral. We can be presented with something but we have to know what to do with it. Our future is up to us. If you grow up having everything handed to you, you don't always realize how easy you have it and you can't appreciate it. The truth of the matter is some people will have it easier than others. Some of us have to work harder than others. It's not fair, but that's life. The one thing about life is that it's unpredictable and just because it's bad right now doesn't mean it will be a month or a year from now. Life is full of twists and turns and it can be as happy as it can be sad. It's definitely worth living even when it doesn't feel like it. When I feel down I cling to those that love me the most. I am fortunate to have them. I could play the victim and have a pity party about how I'm not where I wanted to be and how I don't have the advantages some did, but it won't do me a bit of good. The truth is I have had it a lot better than a lot of other people. Life isn't fair, but it is one amazing ride.
What you say is very true and we have to play the cards we're dealt with.
@sissy15 (5693)
We do, doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I were born rich lol.
@sissy15 Most of us could do with a bit more money.
@sissy15 (5693)
@JudyEv I think you're right. It must be nice to not have financial worries.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I remember hearing someone on the radio saying "If you're over 7 years old and you still expect life to be 'fair', you're going to be badly disappointed".
@sissy15 (5693)
That's very true. You have to work with what you have, and the truth of the matter is some people have more.