JJs Vinyl Madness Countdown #971

Sunday morning finds us pondering the ages-old question: Why the hell did you shoot her boy? Over the past 48 years, there have been several guesses/theories, and even the writer has postulated various scenarios...but the song never tells us. We only know "Down by the river, I shot my baby dead." I hope she at least got a decent burial...
From his 1969 album Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and also first with long time backing band Crazy Horse. Neil Young - Guitar and Lead Vocals Danny Whitten...
Why is it rust never sleeps?
I dunno, but it's better to burn out than it is to rust
@FourWalls (14654)
That's been the question for a number of those murder ballads. I remember a DJ on WSM playing "Knoxville Girl," which ends with the man in prison "because I murdered that Knoxville girl, the girl that I loved so," and after the song he said, "Well, if he loved her, why did he kill her?" Maybe she didn't like the fact that this song was over nine minutes long....
...and 'Cowgirl In The Sand' on the flip side is a niner as well...
Baby deserved to be shot!