The Nose Knows

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
The slogan "No good deed goes unpunished" took on a whole new meaning for me when I went to the dentist last week. While sitting in the waiting room, a young woman came in with two small children, a boy and a girl. The little girl was coughing, sneezing and sniffling, so the mother kept wiping her nose with a tissue. Having just gotten over a mild chest cold myself, this sent up a warning sign, and it was not unwarranted. Just a few days later, that dental visit now just a memory, I started to feel the first warning signs of a cold coming on: burning sinuses, scratchy throat, and stuffy nose. I realized that my fears had been right on the money, as this developed into one of the worst head and chest colds I've had in a long time. For nearly a week now, I've been dealing with it, and shoveling my car out the other day after the latest storm didn't help. Although I don't feel quite as bad as I did a few days ago, I'm still coughing, and my nose is so sore and irritated from all the blowing that it hurts to touch it. At my age, I have to be on guard against the possibility of pneumonia. So far, it's still just a stubborn cold that is refusing to go away. I am starting to sneeze a lot, which, coming part-way into a cold usually means I'm starting to get past it. I sure hope so! I've already gone through a whole box of tissues and will need to get more today. I did sleep a bit better last night, as opposed to a couple of nights ago when I was up every few minutes to blow my nose and allow my sinuses to drain. I've had no fever with this, which is a good thing, as it's not a full-blown flu. And this morning, I had a nose-bleed, which I always gets when I have a cold due to the blood vessels in there being so sensitive and tender. Tomorrow is technically the first day of spring here in the U.S. And although the weather doesn't usually cooperate with that event, I still wish I felt better so I could feel more celebratory. Tomorrow maybe? One can hope...Meanwhile, I'll stick with the tissues, decongestants, and the generic brand of Vicks which does wonders for a sore nose. This reminds me of another slogan..."this, too, shall pass." I hope so, and so does my nose! (Public Domain Image)
My husband has been battling a cold for a couple of weeks. Today he is sounding a bit better. I was spared getting it! I had the flu in January and wasn't happy about getting it. I did get a flu shot and "thought" I was okay. The doctor said the symptoms wouldn't be as bad because I had the shot. I was still down for the count for 5 days. Hope you feel better soon!
@Raelove I found that out in short order. My husband never got the shot and he never got the flu!