My most enjoyable Saturday evening ever?

Pleasant Hill, California
How can an oldish fart in his 50s have his best Saturday night ever when he went to College, went to concerts, had wonderful dinner dates at Thai restaurants, went to parties, etc.? Simple. I don't like large crowds and was never a big Saturday night person. Most of my happy joy moments have been on quieter evenings. Last night we (the Diablo Rhythm Wranglers) played a gig at a new (for us) venue in Benicia CA, a medium sized old river town. The "vibe" there was incredible. There were adults and children dancing the whole night, and the terraced seating meant every could see us well and was engaged. One little girl kept bringing up requests, and we were able to do most of them. Finally, she said "My daddy wants you to do Wagon Wheel," which is a popular Dylan/Secor song from days gone by. I told her "I know the chorus, but your daddy's going to have to come up and help with the verses." To my surprise, he came up, sang the verses, I sang harmony over him on the choruses, and we pulled it off pretty darned well! During break, the little girl came back up to me and said,"Do you remember me? You showed me how to play bass at the Walnut Creek Farmer's Market!" I wound up having a conversation with her, two of her sisters, and her daddy, all about music. At the Farmer's Market gig, I had recommended to her that she start on guitar and take up bass later on. Daddy had said that guitar lessons are a bit too expensive. But it turns out that they have a piano in their house. So I gave her a quick piano lesson using two beer bottles as C# and D# to show her where C was on the piano. She was excited and followed my finger movements for a C-scale on our imaginary keyboard. The second set was as fun as the first, and then we got to sip wine, eat our tri-tip, and chat further with the people there. I haven't felt that much of a sense of "community" in mean old California in a long time. Is there a sense of community where you live? Do you have certain evenings that stand out as unusually fun? I'll remember this one.
• Marion, Kansas
Oh that sounds fun, family friendly fun at that. We used to sit in grandma's back yard and Uncle would play and we would sing. My little cousin and I would dance on upended wash tubs. I also had fun evenings at the small Christian college I attended, especially on a snowy night when we would light the fireplace in the dorm and sing and sing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Singing around a warm fire on a cold Winter night. How much better than that does it get?
@inertia4 (27001)
Where I am currently, no, nothing like that. No one where I live do anything like that. And being NYC, I would have to go to Manhattan and spend a fortune to have a good time. Things around here have changed. Wish there were some of those old rock clubs still around.
@inertia4 (27001)
@TheHorse There might be a few bars. But nothing like it used to be years ago. Back in the 70's and 80's I could have went just about anywhere to have a good time.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@inertia4 I don't really like shows like American Idol. In the "old days," musicians worked their ways up from dive bars to stardom. Today, we have jive money "musicians" getting record contracts because of TV, while there's less and less quality entertainment at small venues. Jazz at Pearl's in San Francisco, where Ms Horse and I used to hang out, is gone like a train.
@inertia4 (27001)
@TheHorse May places are gone now. We had a place right here in Brooklyn called La'Mour rock club. They dubbed it the rock capitol of Brooklyn. That's how awesome that place was. Now it is gone. Everything has changed around here. Sad really.
@divalounger (2266)
I bet you will remember this one! It sounds like great fun--what instrument do you play--bass? Acoustic or electric?
• Pleasant Hill, California
In this band, I play mostly upright bass, as in the photo. But I also play some guitar and mandolin. My main instrument is guitar. Have you heard my YouTube videos?
@TheHorse I have not--how do I find you?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@divalounger I'll just link you to Pancho and Lefty (a Townes Van Zandt song), and from there you'll be able to find Susy and A Moth Song, which are originals.
Like and Subscribe for more songs and videos :)
Such a wonderful time you had. How sweet that little one's dad joined in on the fun too. Of course, you also did a bit of teaching too!!! Well, I must say that the firework's events here, paid for by Beanie Baby creator Ty Warner, are amazing and enjoyed by the entire community. We have smaller events that the kids in the community, and their parents, take advantage of on a regular basis.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think I most enjoy events where whole families are involved. When were the fireworks?
@TheHorse Well, 4th of July is a sight to see and the fireworks for The Taste and musical events are pretty nice too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Corbin5 I used to ride my horse to a high hill and watch the fireworks with her. She wasn't spooked by the booms.
That is so awesome! It sounds like it was a wonderful time. =) I'm glad you had a wonderful evening. The best evening I ever had was spending it as a family at home. It was on the 4th of July. My husband and I played cards, we all had a bon fire, and we watched fireworks together as a family that were going off across the street from us. =) It was a wonderful evening!
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds like fun as well.
@TheHorse It was! It just so happened that I planned a date night at home for my husband and I-forgetting that it was the 4th of July. So the fireworks was the perfect ending to a good date. =)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LovingMyBabies Sounds great. I enjoy fireworks, especially if there's kids around, as they "ooh" and "aah."
it really depends on where and how, he might be able to find a highschool student who could start teaching her, or a video guide.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He could start teaching her! If he sings, I assume he plays an instrument or two. But sometimes parents make the worst teachers.
@TheHorse pretty much, so many ways around it, and not all lessons are that pricey, just depends on where and when, heck a senior home could have some chances in it
Your not an old fart.Why do you say this.You are a young fart I am glad to hear that it was great there.I wish you make a video so that we can hear your music.I would love to hear it
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll attach one of a song we did last night that had people slow dancing. This is my "solo" version, though. You may have heard it before.
Yes I do but they have been a while. See I am not the only one that listened and learned from your words.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Are you referring to the piano lesson? That was fun!
@boiboing (12261)
• Northampton, England
Sounds like a memorable night out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It really was. I hope we can capture that "vibe" again. They said they want us back.
What a great Saturday night for you! I'm more of a home-body and haven't been out in ages for some Saturday night fun. I'm just an old fuddy duddy
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was an old fuddy duddy at 19. I never cared much for drinking too much, trying to flirt with girls, and then throwing up. I used my Saturday nights to study and did my socializing on other nights.
@Morleyhunt (17863)
Where I live now there is no real sense of community. I couldn't name too many of my neighbours and most of them wouldn't recognize me if they bumped into me somewhere else. It's a rural area and everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. This seems odd as the rural area we lived in 20 years ago had a real sense of community...we all knew each other...helped each other when things went wrong. Celebrated when things went right. I still miss that community.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think I long for a sense of community. We DID have it in the neighborhood where I grew up in Chicago. And I had it with my fellow Grad Students at UCSB in Santa Barbara. I make an effort to create my own community here (my neighbor kid friend and his mom; the Thai restaurant where I order Tom Kha Gai to go twice a week), but it doesn't happen naturally like it used to. Even the Indians, bound together by Culture, I would think, don't talk to each other much in my apartment complex.
You know who else is doing a version of Wagon Wheel? None other than Darius Rucker? Have you heard it?
• Portland, Connecticut
No sense of community where we live but that does sound like a wonderful evening.
Small villages are the best, yes there is a sense of community where I live. We meet several times a year for an outdoor party where local food is served. Every woman of the village bring a cake and we share having a drink all together.
@vandana7 (58923)
Long ago...kinda every full moon day they used to have a talent show of children in the family ...(not our family...dad's former family friends relatives)...so it used to be a really large group food would be brought and served and children would sing, yeah...attended a couple of them, then the matriarch got cancer, and kinda...it stopped.
That sounds like you had a good time. That is what I always like to hear. Someone having fun.
That would have been such a buzz. We've sometimes really nice evenings round a camp-fire while camping. A fire draws in campers from all round and again there is a lovely sense of community.
It is great that you made a wonderful memory