I got into an argument in someone else's post yesterday

I try not to get nasty in here - some of you I am afraid of LOL!...but Facebook is a different world. A 'friend' of mine started a topic on the healthcare issues going on in our country. There were nasty words being slung every direction and I kept quiet. The only time I chimed in was to mention - RAM - Remote Area Medical. This group was founded in Tennessee - all volunteers, hundreds of them. They travel to different parts of TN and do two-day sessions. Anyone needing healthcare, dental or glasses can get it all for free. They service thousands of people in two days. It is quite an organization all volunteers and all donations keep it going. Someone I don't know jumped down my throat saying I didn't know what I was talking about and that RAM is only in TN and that I should be talking about things I don't know about. What the ???? My blood was boiling. I went right to the RAM website and looked up the schedule and they are going to NY, OK, MI, VA and of course TN. So I left her the following comment. No YOU are wrong - here is their schedule and as far as I remember from geography VA, MI, NY and OK are not in Tennessee. She has not responded, could be still looking it up on the map.
You are such a trouble-maker, especially making her look on a map to learn geography! I normally check things out before contradicting someone. I am sure there are times when I haven't due to the fact that I was sure I was right, but I hate being proven wrong. I also try to contradict someone in a nice way, especially since we are all wrong at one time or another.
Believe me, that was nice - I had to calm down before responding. She evidently had not done her homework.
@Mike197602 (13054)
• Worcester, England
I generally look stuff up before commenting too as quite often I've thought something that was utterly wrong
@Mike197602 I have put my foot in the mouth many times so I try to be more careful now.
Good for you for standing up for yourself and putting her in her place!!
She thought she knew it all - told me all about how TN is the only state that sessions like that can take place in....I knew it was wrong as soon as I read it. Heck, I live here...they will be in the next town over in a few weeks.
@AbbyGreenhill I just checked their site and they are in different places, you are right.
@marlina I know - I knew about a few of them from last year so I knew I was right - turned out I was even more right!
@Mike197602 (13054)
• Worcester, England
When someone is factually incorrect it annoys me and is the source of many arguments for me. When I'm wrong I just and say thanks for correcting me. Some people just don't like being wrong and continue the debate even though the facts are there for them to see. What particularly annoys me is when I give link after link and they still don't believe me
I think this one read the link and realized she was in deep doo-doo and got off FB fast.
@Mike197602 (13054)
• Worcester, England
@AbbyGreenhill I'd always say thanks to someone who set me straight...if I didn't I'd certainly be seen as stupid and pretty rude
@Mike197602 I didn't think this woman would say thanks,...I imagine she had a few other choice words for me under her breath
I don't like when people try to make me feel stupid when I know what I'm talking about. I'm glad you defended yourself.
Thanks - if I am not 100 percent sure I would keep out of it, but I knew I was right.
Maybe she was to stupid to realize she was wrong and you will never hear from her again.
She she isn't my friend I hope she won't bother responding and believe me I have nothing more to say to her.
@CoralLevang (25263)
You didn't get nasty. You just much better at the argument than she was!
I had the facts she had the BS.
@CoralLevang (25263)
Isn't it odd how some people just want to tell others off all the time? I've done it too, but in my defense I was perturbed that someone who is not a US citizen would condemn the new President of the US: as a veteran I know put it "he is the president and we should respect his office" ..... I'm waiting until he's actually had time to screw up, then if needed I hope they put the screws to em.
Like I can make fun of my husband but you can't type of thing right. I try not to get involved with our own politics and I have no desire to comment on the government of other countries.
That's about right @AbbyGreenhill it's insulting when foreigners put MY president down before he's even had a chance to show his true colors.
@mysdianait (63983)
could be still looking it up on the map. So the dust hit the fan yesterday?
LOL - something hit the fan and we can't use the other word LOL. I dusted a little while ago - you must have esp.
@mysdianait (63983)
@AbbyGreenhill Yes my famigerated sixth sense
@mysdianait LOL - I consider myself lucky then.
@crossbones27 (11224)
• Redlands, California
I usually just talk around people like they are not even there because they are just looking to argue about nothing. That is only if I feel people are believing their stupidity. lol
I was not going to let her tell me I was wrong..sorry, she was wrong.
• Redlands, California
@Billrena (183)
• Arusha, Tanzania
But I think that, sometimes you cannot get the full knowledge about something unless you argue against another person.
This is what gets me about FB. Why do they have to be so nasty?
@VidaVida (130)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
People do triggered easily these days... I always get into hot argument on youtube videos. But maybe they just in not a good mood n condition. That's the disadvantage of online friendships n arguments. CMIIW. :)
@VidaVida I think people are just rude. They mightn't be quite so rude to your face but they think they can say what they like on YouTube or whatever. And I had to look up CMIIW. I'm glad I know another acronym now.
@JudyEv I think more people show their 'true colors' when they hide behind the computer screen.
@boiboing (12561)
• Northampton, England
People forget their manners on facebook.
They also think if they throw out some numbers and stats it makes people think they are smart.
@boiboing (12561)
• Northampton, England
@AbbyGreenhill Even if they've just made them up. I have a FB friend who makes up more numbers than Donald Trump. But we all know they are totally unreliable.
@boiboing I think the other in the discussion would have believed her since she came across as all knowing!
Sometimes we need to really teach the stupid . . . Good for you and she'll learn now and hopefully curb her tongue @AbbyGreenhill !
I hope so - I did think before I commented..I didn't want to be stupid like her!
@AbbyGreenhill well you did the research, you found the correct information so you are not the one sounding stupid . . .
@fishtiger58 (27180)
• Momence, Illinois
Some folks just think they are right all the time when they haven't a clue. It's really a shame that this person has no clue but still felt they could disrespect what you had to say and you live in Tenn. Amazing the nerve. I don't blame you for getting a bit teed off.
Thanks...I a familiar with the organization, we see/hear about them on the news all the time. They will be in our previous town soon and then they will be at the next town over from us.
@fishtiger58 (27180)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill I know you know about that organization you live in Tenn for heaven's sake. Some people just have big nerve.
@fishtiger58 Yes, that's for sure. Maybe she is off telling someone else how smart she is !!!
My blood boils too when ignorant people jump into a discussion to write something wrong. They could at least take the time to check first, but of course this would remove them from the list of "ignorant people".
That list gets longer by the second. Maybe she will think twice from now on.
@AbbyGreenhill I do not know, but she needs a brain in order to think.
@LadyDuck LOL - that's true.
I like to show people proof and have then shut up
She shut up for sure and that was after a tirade of many many paragraphs.
@AbbyGreenhill Probably she learned her lesson to not blab on information she does not know about
@infatuatedbby I hope so, it will save feelings for her down the road.
@Daljinder (19156)
I put someone in their place too. It was a contradictory statement by someone who has "preaching" about peace and yet demanding a separate country for their religion.
That's certainly wasn't a peaceful so!Utkln was it.
@Daljinder (19156)
@AbbyGreenhill I would have been a little annoyed if the person were of different religion and would have ignored it. BUT this person shared my religion i.e. Sikh. So I was doubly annoyed! I don't tolerate extremists or separatists.
@Daljinder There are ignorant people in every walk of life and it's a shame when people with similar basics disagree in such a way.
you always get those one of a kind.You probably will not hear from her again.You are a bad woman there.(kidding)get out the boxing gloves
Boxing gloves..I need to get some!
@AbbyGreenhill yes,you do not want to hurt your hands.
• Bournemouth, England
There is a pleasure in being able to silence the dogmatic and arrogant by using accurate detail.
Absolutely - well put!! some politicians need to learn that lesson!
• Bournemouth, England
@AbbyGreenhill Accurate detail from THEM? Oh, please!
@asfarasiknow lol that's a dream!
• Marion, Kansas
And similar programs with different titles exist in other states. I hate it when people treat me as if I am stupid, and I am sure you do too. She should have said "wow, I did not know it was so widespread" then she would not have looked so dumb.
Well, it's all over now and I think I got my point across..I am also staying out of discussions unless I know most of the participants.
• Marion, Kansas
@AbbyGreenhill I am that way a lot.
@GardenGerty They were talking about how the poor will not be well covered and I provided information on how the poor are taken care of around here and that's when it hit the fan!
well, I am going to note that is a cool program I hadn't heard of, and I hope they are able to spread out to more states
I would hope there are other organizations doing the same thing.
@AbbyGreenhill I'd never heard of it, could use the dental help atm