I've Moved into Packing Mode

Portland, Connecticut
Our time here is Florida is coming to an end and I am now starting to pack and get ready for our departure on Thursday. Yesterday I packed up all the items in our pantry with an expiration date within the next year and I will take them home to Connecticut. Today we are doing to do heavy cleaning and steam clean the living room carpet. I will pack our clothing on Wednesday and we will pack the car. I am so sad about leaving but also excited to be seeing the kids and the dogs who are waiting for us. I also went through the house and boxed up some more of the decor that I inherited with the house and next year I will be on the hunt again for new things. We may have the chance to rent our home for a month or more to some people that we know so we are making sure the house is extra organzied and neat.
@fishtiger58 (27101)
• Momence, Illinois
Time to head north. I hope all the snow and cold weather are done by the time you get home. But you may still get snow I'm afraid.
• Portland, Connecticut
I suspect we will have snow to deal with. We were planning to stop at our cottage but I am afraid we would need to have the snow plowed before wee could get in our driveway. We will see!!
@fishtiger58 (27101)
• Momence, Illinois
@BelleStarr Good luck I hope there is no snow for you to drive through to get home.
• Portland, Connecticut
@fishtiger58 That is what I dread the most but if there is we will just stop and hunker down until it passes. I checked the weather and it looks okay but you can never tell, things change.
I know how you feel and why you are leaving so soon. My brother is flying home tomorrow. He shipped a huge box home and is shipping his Florida convertible home for summer use. We still have two weeks and two days left, but who's counting. Lol! As much as I love it down here, I can't wait to see my kids, grandkids, and Doodles!!!!
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes it is bittersweet but I can't wait to see all the kids lol
@dianneN Bet Doodles and the family are eagerly awaiting your return. II would never be ale to leave Marty than long. Thus I m impressed that you could stay away that amount of time! Hope your husband, and you have a safe trip when you two venture north.
@Marty1 Thank you. Remember, Doodles is not my cat.
I know how you feel. We always miss our West Virginia home when we are in Mississippi.
• Portland, Connecticut
I miss Florida when I am in CT and miss CT when I am in Florida, but my real home is CT.
We finally did not buy a house in Florida because my husband was concerned about leaving it empty for many months, but he disliked the idea to have someone renting the place while we were not there.
• Portland, Connecticut
We bought in a gated 55 plus community and we have family here who check on the home for us. It is pretty safe where we are.
@BelleStarr If we had friends or family to check on the home it would have been different.
• Portland, Connecticut
@LadyDuck Yes but often there are good neighbors who will perform this service or you could hire a company to do it. I wouldn't let that stop me especially in a gated community.
Its still cold in CT - why do you go back so soon?
• Portland, Connecticut
We have a wedding on April 1st and it is one I wouldn't want to miss.
@BelleStarr Oh OK, then you have a good reason to leave the nice weather!
• Portland, Connecticut
@AbbyGreenhill Yes normally I would stay at least another week or two.
@salonga (27264)
I am sure the owner of that house will be so pleased that you will turn it over to them clean and neat.
• Portland, Connecticut
It is our home, we bought this house in Florida four years ago. We own three homes, one in Florida, One in Connecticut and one in Pennsylvania.
@salonga (27264)
@BelleStarr So you have house in all those places! That's wonderful!
It doesn't seem long to me that you were starting your journey to Florida. I hope you've enjoyed your time there. We are in Spain at the moment and have another two weeks.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh that sounds so lovely. The 3 months flew by
Good that someone may rent your place for a while after you leave. Hope your area, upon your return, has some nice weather to enjoy.
• Portland, Connecticut
So far from what I can see it looks like it will be cold but I am sure we will adjust after a bit lol burrrr
@dodo19 (23689)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can be difficult sometimes when you have to leave. Hopefully your trip back will go well.
• Portland, Connecticut
I suspect it will, we take our time and I have planned it carefully.
@dodo19 (23689)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@BelleStarr It's good that you plan it ahead and take time. That's a good way of doing it.
• Portland, Connecticut
@dodo19 One of the benefits of being retired, time is something we have plenty of.
@Asylum (43006)
• Manchester, England
You certainly have a long drive ahead of you from Florida to Connecticut.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes it is very long but we take our time and stay overnight 5 times.
@Asylum (43006)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr So it will be almost a week journey.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum we arrive home Tuesday with an extra night stop in Virginia to visit a friend
I was just going to ask you if you rent out your place when you are not there? That is good that you may get to rent it out to some people you know. I am sure it is hard to leave but like you said your kids and dogs are waiting for you so it will be nice to be back home again.
• Portland, Connecticut
We used to rent it for anywhere from 3 to 6 months over the cold weather, but when we started to use it ourselves it became harder. This is a grandma who wants to visit her son and grandkids for a longer period of time but of course, she can't have Jan-March which is when we are here.
@BelleStarr Oh that will be nice. It is good that you get to use it now through the winter. It is a nice break away from the cold and snow.
I thought you had sold the house but apparently not. It would be nice to rent it out to someone you know.
• Portland, Connecticut
No we didn't sell it, we actually own three homes and have no intention at this point of getting rid of any of them.
@MarymargII (6962)
• Toronto, Ontario
That will be super for you! I'm sure you're sad to leave Florida and you are still coming back to some iffy weather north! I feel like you've been going South for quite a while- How long have you been going down to your place?
• Portland, Connecticut
We arrived the first week of January. It just flew by.
• Toronto, Ontario
@BelleStarr It did seem to fly by as does all time lately! You'll be glad to see the grandkids again for sure- for awhile anyway-LOL!
@epiffanie (8068)
Wow! sounds like a big move ..
• Portland, Connecticut
It is a very long drive that is for sure.
@epiffanie (8068)
@BelleStarr I wish you a safe journey ..
But why are you leaving that house?
• Portland, Connecticut
It is our winter home. We have our main home in Connecticut and that is where our children and grandkids live and it is just too hot down here in the summer.
@BelleStarr I am confused when you say winter home. Does it mean , you go there when it's winter in your main house?
Good luck with your packing duties!
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you it is going pretty well.
@BelleStarr go to know!
I always clean really well when I leave because it makes the homecoming later to be so lovely. I hope your renters feel the same. I'm sure they will.
• Portland, Connecticut
I hope so but they may not even materialize, we just need to wait and see I guess.
@BelleStarr I hope you have good weather for traveling.
Gee that time seemed to fly by. Guess many winter Florida dwellers will be heading home soon too. Lucky you missed all the snow we had recently
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes but my daughter says it is still cold and icy
@bluesa (4959)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@BelleStarr , good luck getting everything done and it's great you might be able to rent the house for part of the time you are not there. Safe travels back to Connecticut!
• Portland, Connecticut
The rental may never happen but if it does it will be a very good thing
@PainsOnSlate (17529)
So soon? I know you have been gone for a while and spring is just around the corner. Have a safe tripo home and renting your place to friends is a great idea...
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes it would be a big tax benefit but I am not counting on it, just hoping it may happen.