In All My 58 Years I Have Never Seen The Likes Of This

@fishtiger58 (25070)
Momence, Illinois
As many of you know I went on a 1 week trip to the east coast with my husband and son. That was 3 weeks ago today, my son is still traveling and is currently heading east after going all the way to the west coast, but he is heading east again and is in Utah today. But that's not what this post is all about. This is about our last stop in the Charleston South Carolina. We camped about 30 miles north of Charleston in the Francis Marion National Forest. I had talked to a few people from Charleston and was told that the weather and temperatures were a bit unusual for the end of February. It was in the 70's and 80's while we were there. When we went to Charleston and other places in the area we all went in my son's car. So my van remained parked the entire two days we were there. Someone mentioned that the pollen was horrible for this time of year and that they were experiencing allergies when usually they don't in February. I don't have allergies so I don't usually notice that sort of thing. But this time I did for the first time in my life. My van stayed parked in the parking area next to our camp our entire stay. About 24 hours after we got there I was walking towards my van and noticed a dirty front windshield. It wasn't bad when we parked how the heck did it get so dirty. When I got to the van I could see the dirt was yellowish in appearance. For goodness sakes it was pollen, and it covered not only the windshield but the entire van. My son's car parked next to my van was also covered. Never in my life have I seen this. I turned on the wipers and washers and cleaned off the window so I could see out of them, and the washer fluid ran down my windows and it was a beautiful yellow color. I have never seen so much pollen cover anything like this in my life. Apparently we don't get so much pollen in the air in Illinois that it covers things like my van was covered. I'm thinking that the south is not a good place with those with severe allergies. Man that was so shocking to me to see this I had to take some pictures.
Wow that is a lot of pollen! Plants must grow well there.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
they sure must it was an unbelievable amount of pollen. I was pretty shocked by this never seen that much pollen before in my life.
@fishtiger58 Me neither. IT was raining pollen for ya!
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
18h
@infatuatedbby Maybe if I have better eyesight I could have seen it raining pollen lol.
We are quite used to everything being covered in pollen. It takes the power washer to get it off of the back screened porch and all the things on that porch. We power wash for days to get rid of pollen. Your photo is not there, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Oh, we keep our car in th garage and it gets pollen covered in there! I refreshed and the photo is there - you think that's a lot - that's nothing - minor to what we'll haev in a month or so. This is prime allergy area and allergy docs are a dime a dozen!
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
18h
It was certainly a first for me, we never get that amount of pollen on anything around here.
16h
@fishtiger58 When the pollen is bad I'll take a photo for you.
@Lupita234 (2200)
8h
oh thats bad
@scheng1 (22791)
Wow, I thought you run into a sandstorm when I first sighted on your picture. No wonder the locals complain about it. You are there for just 2 days, and the locals have to suffer from the pollen for year after year.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
It was so shocking to me, I have never seen pollen cover things like this where I come from. I would think that those with allergies suffer greatly there.
@scheng1 (22791)
@fishtiger58 Yes, they probably have to use pills every day to control the allergic reaction. I pity them.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
@scheng1 I'm pretty sure if I had allergies I wouldn't live there.
I agree. The South would definitely be a miserable place for those with allergies.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't know if that's unusual or not, but I had never seen so much pollen in my life.
@Lupita234 (2200)
8h
right now full of alergies in spring
That is what we see all over these days. Trees are acting funny. Our mango trees flowered thrice this season
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
18h
We are only in our 2nd day of spring so it's still very cold here, nothing much growing yet. But in the south they do as witnessed by all the pollen on our car. I was shocked, never seen anything like this.
17h
@fishtiger58 I feel sad for the trees. They are confused
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
17h
@allknowing Yup very likely.
@divalounger (1643)
17h
welcome to climate change and I suspect this will get worse in the south--we in the west will just keep getting more dry
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
17h
No kidding about climate change, I was shocked by this much pollen. We don't get this in my part of Illinois. California got some rain this winter though and that's a good thing for them.
17h
@fishtiger58 It is a good thing--but we need years of rain at this point for the underground water to replenish
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
17h
@divalounger And hopefully you will get it. Water has never been a problem where I live, 50 miles due south of Chicago.
• Midland, Michigan
3h
Ha, at first I thought you were surprised to see how dirty someone else let their windshield get. You can't really tell with this picture that it's pollen all over the window, but I can imagine that it is. We get some sort of pollen off the red maples in the outlawn. I never noticed how bad it was until I happened to have my minivan parked on the street one afternoon. The pollen was even worse than it was on your vehicle. For one thing it was over the course of the afternoon and not over several days. The pollen on your vehicle looks like dirt it's so fine. The stuff on mine was little globules of pollen. I took pictures too, but I'm sure I'd have no idea which folder I put them in. If I ever get around to labeling all my photos I'll be doing good.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
3h
My windshield was clean when I parked it, but you can sort of tell it's yellow can't you?
• Midland, Michigan
3h
@fishtiger58 In a vague sort of type of way, but don't worry, I believe you. Why would you lie about something like that? If I didn't have a similar event last year for the very first time, I might scratch my head a bit longer, but pollen can be quite nasty and not all pollen is the same.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
3h
@MarshaMusselman I'm really glad none of us have allergies it could have been ugly.
I have seen this here, last year all the cars parked near the park were all covered with pollen.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
17h
We just don't get that in my part of Illinois so it was a new experience for me.
16h
@fishtiger58 Some pollen are even hard to wash, they leave a yellowish color on the car.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
@LadyDuck That's what Abby was saying they have to power wash stuff.
@fishtiger58 It sounds like a area for those who live or travel in the area. Hope other than the pollen the trip was great!
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
17h
The trip was fantastic.
17h
@fishtiger58 I am happy for you!
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
16h
@Marty1 thanks
I've never seen anything like that just sand or dust after a sand storm. I don't have allergies either so I don't usually notice but the weather station says we're in for high pollen today.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
Isn't that amazing to see, I was stunned by it and just had to take a pic to share. I'm thinking some see this all the time but never never have I.
It's strange alright @fishtiger58 Was it hard to clean off the windshield?
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann I had to use the washers and wipers just to see to get to the gas station, but yea hubby had to clean them twice before it was all gone.
@ridingbet (19166)
3h
oh, my gosh, the pollen caused this in your car? i hope nobody in your family suffer from allergies.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
3h
No none of us do, but can you believe how much is covering my van? It was amazing and something I had never seen before.
• Eugene, Oregon
7h
I recall that there was heavy yellow pollen the year I lived in Spokane, Washington too. It would cover the car pretty much.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
Oh really wow. It was pretty surprising to me.
@Lupita234 (2200)
8h
hey so much pollen
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
Yes tons of it. Covered everything.
9h
Wow! That's a lot of pollen! Our cars are free and clear of pollen here.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
I have never had pollen on my car like that, it was amazing to me.
10h
Wow, that's a heck of a lot of pollen. I've seen cars covered with sand after a storm, but nothing like that.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
Me either, when I washed the window so I could get to the gas station it was running off the window all yellow, amazing.
11h
Oh my. It gets kinda cold here in the winter, but perhaps moving to Canada would be a benefit to your health. I can't imagine trying to breathe in all of that. Most the places up here are fresh as could be. I just avoid the stench of downtown in the hot parts of the summer, it smells like roast hobo some days, lol.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
I don't live there nor do I have allergies. I am in the Chicago area and I have never seen anything like this. I was on vacation in South Carolina.
16h
oh mty that much pollen would have me s neezing and wheezing for sure iI have never seen it that bad
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
It was positively covering everything
@FayeHazel (4309)
16h
Oh wow, I have allergies - and that is making me itch just looking at it
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
4h
Not a place you would want to live I"m sure.
@MarymargII (6417)
• Toronto, Ontario
Are you sure it was pollen? Seems strange for Spring. But I guess, what else would it be--- ??
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
18h
Yup I asked some locals to be sure, but it's pollen. Pretty incredible.
That is indeed a dirty windscreen. It's lucky the pollen doesn't affect you. Imagine if it did! There'd be no way of avoiding it.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
18h
I so agree with you, if I had allergies I wouldn't live there, how could one live with all that in the air and covering everything.