Eating fruits…

@sishy7 (23609)
Australia
# 61 There are different levels of difficulties on how to eat fruits. The easiest would be fruits that can just be eaten as is - no need to peel or slice or anything to get to the good stuff that we eat. Examples: Apples, grapes, and strawberries or any other kinds of berries. Then there are those that cannot be eaten as is but only minimal effort of peeling is required. Examples: Bananas, mandarins, and rambutans. Next would involve some peeling and slicing to enjoy. I will divide this into 2 categories: one would be those which are not too complicated (meaning I can handle doing) and the other would be fruits that I think is so complicated to eat (meaning I hardly ever have those unless they are served ready-to-enjoy for me). Examples of the first category would be: Watermelons or any other kinds of melons, plums, nectarines, mangoes, and kiwis. Examples of the second category would be: Durians, jackfruits, pineapples, pomegranates, and young green coconuts. Does the difficulty of eating fruits put you off any from eating them?
No, not really, I love fresh pineapples and pomegranates, even if they are a pain to peel.
@sishy7 (23609)
You are so good in handling food and not only fruits...
@sishy7 Thank you, but I hate anyway to peel pomegranates.
@sishy7 (23609)
@LadyDuck I have never done it, to be honest...
When it comes to mangos, yes but I do love them. Then there are cantaloupes, it's not that they are complicated so much as too big for one person to eat all at once but they are so tasty when ripe.
@sishy7 (23609)
Yes, some fruits are for sharing as a whole... I'm glad they sell them here in half like watermelons, papayas, and cantaloupes... Besides being not too big, I don't have to guess how they look in the inside (I'm not good in choosing fruits).
I'm not good at choosing either @sishy7 usually I'll buy precut or ask someone that works in the grocery for help finding a ripe one.
@ramapo17 (16091)
• Melbourne, Florida
@sishy7 I have a bad habit of buying them and not eating them. If things are not in front of me I forget about them.
@Gillygirl (14746)
• Sutton, England
I don't have a problem with enjoying fruit even if some are messier than others.
@sishy7 (23609)
Some just seem way too complicated for me to handle... Luckily those are usually not something that are freshly available here so I don't really need to deal with them often, like durians, jackfruits, and young green coconuts...
@Gillygirl (14746)
• Sutton, England
@sishy7 I am not familiar with a durian, what is it like?
@sishy7 (23609)
@Gillygirl This is what it looks like... With its spiky thick skin, I have no idea how to open it up to get to the whitish/yellowish flesh. I've tried them, and its flesh has some similarities to the texture of very rich custard. It is known for its strong lingering odor though - which definitely will put some people off. It is something with an acquired taste, I guess...
If I want to eat a fruit, I will find a way to eat it . I guess pineapples and pomegranates don't bother me so much but yes they are more complicated to cut than the typical fruits. I have no idea how to deal with fresh coconut of any kind (I've only used the canned milks or shredded meat) - my Sri Lankan friend showed me how she cuts the hairy brown ones. I didn't grow up on durian and jackfruits . . . so it's not something we have at our house (though we've had products with it in them) . . . but my Chinese/Indonesian friend has told me about the smells and having to cut into compartments - now that sounds complex to me!
@sishy7 (23609)
All those fruits you mentioned are simply too complicated for me to deal with... Durian's smell is so overwhelmingly strong... I heard how it has to be banned from some hotels or public transportation in places where they can easily be found like in Southeast Asia...
@sishy7 See, I am not that familiar with durian and jackfruit - I get them mixed up! How funny durians are banned like that!! My Chinese/Indonesian friend is the one who introduced me to it . . . she told me how her daughters hate it when she cuts one up and they refuse to stay in the house at that time. She said next time she cut one, she would bring me some . . . and she did. She wrapped it up in tons of plastic wrap and warned me about the smell. I was so worried about it stinking up the place that I actually slowly unwrapped it outside - away from the house. I was so hyped up that it actually didn't smell that bad to me . Or maybe it's super stinky when it's super fresh?
@sishy7 (23609)
@much2say Yes, fresh ones would smell 'bad'... And if we touch the flesh using our hands, the odor would still stay on our hands long after the whole fruit is gone...
It doesn't really put me off. It is what it is so if I want it enough I have it.
@sishy7 (23609)
Some fruits just look impossible for me to deal with... Although I will have them when someone else deals with the preparation and all I have to do is eat them... They are fruits like fresh durians, jackfruits, pineapples or young green coconuts...
@sishy7 I don't eat any of those except very occasionally I might buy a pineapple.
@ramapo17 (16091)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JudyEv I don't even know what they are except the pineapple.
Yes indeed it does. I do not eat pomegranate as there is a lot of work involved.
@sishy7 (23609)
Same here... but from responses and comments on this discussion I learned a lot about eating pomegranates...
@Daljinder (19239)
@allknowing I have someone else do all the hard work ..... and enjoy the fruits
@Daljinder Same here. (lol)
sometimes if I am lazy, I would prob still eat pomegranate as long as I had a place to cut it up, once you get it in pieces popping the seeds out are easy
@sishy7 (23609)
One thing I sure learned from responses and comments on this discussion is how to eat pomegranates...
@sishy7 those are wonderful fruits
@sjvg1976 (12684)
It's tough to peel pineapples that's the reason we don't buy it even though we like eating it.
@sishy7 (23609)
I have no idea how to handle a fresh pineapple - I would not know where or how to begin peeling it up...
@sjvg1976 (12684)
@sishy7 but still other fruits like pomegranate, oranges , bananas, watermelon I love them. Mango is my favourite fruit and I can eat unlimited mangoes in summer.
@sishy7 (23609)
@sjvg1976 Out of the ones you mentioned I like bananas best - I can have them all year long and it's hassle free to eat...
@CoralLevang (30430)
The difficulty of getting past the smell of durians puts me off from eating them! And yes, I have tried...several times!
@sishy7 (23609)
The smell is really something, isn't it? But like you, I have tried them and I actually liked the taste enough to let the smell swept past through me...
@CoralLevang (30430)
@sishy7 Yes, the flavour is nice, if I don't have to smell it. Otherwise, it gags me. LOL
@Daljinder (19239)
Mangoes and watermelon are the messiest. Pomegranates takes work and grapes are the easiest
@sishy7 (23609)
I found the Hedgehog Method to get around the mess of cutting mangoes...
@vandana7 (53564)
Yes... I am off pomegranates...I hate jack fruits for a different reason ...as to pineapples and coconuts, we get people here to do the necessary chopping ..pomegranates kill me...invariably my nails ache...the skin gets into them and it burns for a couple of days. lol
@sishy7 (23609)
I don't get to eat fresh jackfruits too much at all, but I do like the taste and the smell...
@ridingbet (31710)
i like to have an apple. i would just wash and eat the fruit still with its peelings.
@sishy7 (23609)
Yes, they say the peelings have natural health benefits - they are best eaten and would be a shame to waste the benefits we could reap from eating an apple...
@ridingbet (31710)
@sishy7 it is also better if the apple is crunchy- it is fresh and not a day or a week old. hahaha!
@sishy7 (23609)
@ridingbet I turn old apples into apple strudel... Otherwise they would have just stayed on the table untouched for even longer until they look really old and wrinkly...
@1hopefulman (16358)
Right now, no fruit is too difficult for me to prepare and eat and so I am eating a variety. Yesterday, I had bananas and pears and tangerines. Now, I will have some oranges and celery.
@sishy7 (23609)
Wow, those are really good varieties... and I consider all that you mentioned as not too difficult to handle at all...
@1hopefulman (16358)
@sishy7 Just went shopping and they had some nice grapes and so I'm going to have a snack of grapes. I will rinse them, use a salad spinner to get rid of the water and munch, munch, munch.
@sishy7 (23609)
@1hopefulman Yes, grapes are easiest to eat especially the seedless kind - no peeling and no mess...
@Fleura (5108)
Yes funnily enough I hardly ever eat oranges, I always get so messy! I can handle pineapples and pomegranates, probably because I prepare them in advance at home. We don't get durians or jackfruit or green coconuts here.
@sishy7 (23609)
I love pineapples - once they are all sliced up and ready to eat though... Pomegranates are a mystery to me... My husband opened one up for me before and all I had to do was to eat it up, but I was still confused how to do it properly... I think I'll just by myself some pomegranates juice if I want to have some...
@Fleura (5108)
@sishy7 When I was at school there was a fad for eating pomegranates every year when they came in to the shops. The children used to keep a pin stuck in the lapel of their school blazer and then use that to pick out the seeds one at a time.
@sishy7 (23609)
@Fleura Oh, that's interesting... Do you swallow the seeds or spit any part out when eating them?
@diosabella (4848)
When I have the craving, I'm unstoppable!
@sishy7 (23609)
You'll do anything to have them, won't you?
@sishy7 Of course. Sometimes they make me do all the work. But I really want it so I'm getting it because I can.
@sishy7 (23609)
@diosabella Good for you, girl!
@sol_cee (11393)
• Japan
I think you've covered everything. But have you tried 'atis'?
@sishy7 (23609)
No, and I have no idea what that is...
@ramapo17 (16091)
• Melbourne, Florida
I never heard of atis. What is it like?
@sishy7 (23609)
@ramapo17 I looked it up and it's called 'sugar-apple' in English... I still have no idea what that is though... The images I saw of them didn't look familiar to me either...
• Portland, Connecticut
Nope, I love berries but I also love watermelon and just about every other fruit,
@sishy7 (23609)
I do too - but I don't like peeling or cutting up messy or hard-to-do fruits...
• Portland, Connecticut
@sishy7 I have to admit I often buy pineapple already cut for me lol
@sishy7 (23609)
@BelleStarr That's the only way to go for me if I ever want to eat pineapples...
No. The more difficult, the better tasting. Try googling to find easy ways to peel those fruits that give you trouble. There are some great and easy time savers online.
@sishy7 (23609)
Yes, that's a great idea! Besides, those difficult ones are usually some exotic fruits... I wouldn't want to miss out on them just because I'm too lazy to deal with them...
@sishy7 Lol! Me either.
@UncleJoe (6953)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Pomegranates are seasonal here so I keep Becky well supplied. We have discussed pineapple a few times but grocery store fruit are picked prematurely and don't have the natural sweetness fresh ripened fruit does.
@sishy7 (23609)
Pomegranates have so many natural goodness but they take a lot of work to eat - well, to me at least...
@ramapo17 (16091)
• Melbourne, Florida
@sishy7 You are right, that is why I don't bother with them.
No, I love fruit and know that it is part of a healthy diet.
@sishy7 (23609)
Yes, all fruits seem to carry some health benefits...
@ramapo17 (16091)
• Melbourne, Florida
@sishy7 I like all kinds of fruits but for some reason when I buy it I end up throwing some out as I forget to eat it. My husband doesn't like any fruits.