We got more than just a few grocery items at our local Piggly-Wiggly store

We don't do a lot of shopping at the Pig-Wig, but today my husband needed an onion and I wanted some potatoes for the air fryer and off to the PW we went. I told you about our lack of luck getting someone to show up to talk about weed eating around our property. Saturday a Facebook friend gave me the name and number of some kid she knows who does landscaping work....told me he is dependable and would call. My husband called Saturday and as of today (Monday) he never called back. Since we needed the potatoes and onion I told my husband we would check the bulletin board at Piggly-Wiggly. Low and behold - there were several ads for yard work/weed eating, etc. One we picked up was a business card and I noted that the guy lives in town. We also picked up the name/number of another man. My husband called the guy with the business card. He answered the phone, they chatted and he said he would be here at noon to look at the job...son of a gun - he showed up at noon. My husband showed him what we want done, he gave us a price and said he would be here tomorrow.....unfortunately it is going to rain - in that case he will be here the next day. So if you need groceries or some yard work done - it seems Piggly-Wiggly is the place to go! Photo is mine. This was taken from a short distance up the back hill looking down on our property.
I never would have thought to look at the bulletin board but glad you had someone show up and actually contract the work.
Its a miracle for sure !
No Piggle_Wiggly here.They are went hone.LOL
Ha Ha!!! You aren't missing much.
High prices and run down stores.
@andriaperry Ours is one of the newer ones but it doesn't look it. Hey a potato is a potato!
I am glad you found someone who replied to the phone (WOW no answering machine) and showed up at the time he said. I hope he will do a good job, but I think he will.
I think he will too - seemed like a nice person and ready to work!
@AbbyGreenhill There are still some who are good workers.
@Fleura (4500)
Obviously that is the place to go! Funnily enough they just mentioned Piggly-Wiggly in the 'Brain of Britain' radio quiz!
Really - that's interesting - did you know it was a grocery store?
@Fleura (4500)
@AbbyGreenhill No. The question was asking what Piggly-Wiggly was the first representative of (I think) and the answer was the first self-service supermarket-type shop.
@Fleura That's right - it was the first self serve grocery store in the us - I wrote about it here I think. Before then you gave your list to an employee and they got the items for you
@LeaPea2417 (8607)
• Toccoa, Georgia
The closest Piggly Wiggly to us is in Dillard GA. It is right before you turn off to travel to Higlands North Carolina. We have stopped in there on a few occasions when we have been travelling in that area., when we have just a few things to buy.
We don't 'shop' there, but is handy for one or two quick items. There is a very nice one in SC.
• Toccoa, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill What city in SC is it located?
@LeaPea2417 SC South Carolina. It was a brand new Pig-Wig so clean is was amazing.
Your place looks lovely. Those types of barns are very popular here.
That is done as a workshop. It has a full bathroom, hookups for RV all kinds of stuff. My husband has it fairly full! The prior owners had it built and lived i it while the house was built.
@AbbyGreenhill That happens here too. Sometimes it becomes a permanent building.
@CoralLevang (17793)
I'm glad to hear that you found someone. I hope that you can get the work done soon. Maybe the rain will stay away
If it doesn't rain tomorrow he will do it it then.if not Wednesday.
@CoralLevang (17793)
@AbbyGreenhill I'm sure that you will be relieved to finally have it done
We have several Pigs around but only one is in a good area.
The one in the next county stinks to high heaven - you can smell the fired food smell two miles away. At least ours doesn't smell bad.
I wish we had a Piggly Wiggly. Or a Kroger. Or a Publix. Or a Whole Foods.
I would trade every store in a 40 miles radius for one Publix.
@suziecat7 (2855)
• Asheville, North Carolina
We don't have a Piggly Wiggly here anymore. I sold a car once using the grocery store bulletin board. And I always check them out too. Glad you found the right person for your yard work.
We listed our yard sales on their board. This was the firs time we used it to find someone.
Lovely property! You just buy one (1) onion at a time?
Thanks....yes, don't use much onion. My husband was making me a burger and he was having a steak sandwich and he always fries onion for his sandwich.
@abbygreenhill I have a man who does my lawn, and my uncle took me some place that I had to go, and my uncle pulled in front of my house last fall, and my grass cutter was there cleaning my yard of leaves! He more never did my leaves when my parents weren't alive! That is such a sweet thing to do! Glad you got somebody!
Thanks, I hope he does a good job.
sounds like this one, as long as he shows as expected and does a good job, is a good contact to sit on
It will rain later so he should be here Wed.
• Manahawkin, New Jersey
You live in a great area. I love the South. We have enjoyed many family vacations at Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head. Hilton head is my favorite!
We do't live near those places but we did vacation in SC for many years, but always Beaufort, not so expensive and not so touristy as those. Very southern town dripping in Spanish Moss. Now I want to go there..
The Piggly-Wiggly is a very convenient store.
As long as you check things carefully - like expiration dates and don't buy meat there.