Campbell's Soups Came out with a Healthier Choice: 'Well Yes' Soups

© 2017 Marsha Musselman. All Rights Reserved. Three of the soups in my pantry.
Midland, Michigan
Have you heard about the healthier types of soups Campbell's came out with in the last several months? My picture shows three of the soups, but I've tried about six now and they are all well worth it. They are not cheap, but I would have to pay attention when I shop again to see what the normal price is. I've gotten them on sale or with coupons or both so it's not so bad. I'm hoping my husband would try them, but he's ignoring them in the pantry. One of them is a minestrone with kale. It also has a small pasta and chick peas and small diced vegetables. There are two that are chicken soups. One has roasted chicken with wild rice, corn, carrots and sweet potatoes. The other one I have right now is hearty lentil with vegetables soup. That includes chickpeas and roasted garlic. They all are low in calories being around 100 or so per cup. They have no preservative and have no sugars included other than those found already in the veggies. All the different one's I've tried thus far are delicious. Edit/Additional info: Found under nutrition facts on US made items. 2 servings per can THe lentil and veggie soup has | 120 cal 0.5 fat gram/0 sat and trans fat 0 cholesterol 590mg sodium 430mg potassium 21g total carb 4g dietary fiber 3g sugar 8g protein The Roasted Chix and wild rice has 110 cal 1 fat gram/0g sat and trans fat 10mg cholesterol 620mg sodium 270mg potassium 16g total carb 8g protein
That is very good news for soup-lovers!!! I do not eat soup, but glad there is a version out there that is a healthier one.
• Midland, Michigan
I'm not sure I ever heard of anyone that never ate soup. I enjoy it but my husband will eat it almost daily.
@MarshaMusselman Well, I do not eat anything hot. I put an ice cube in my coffee to cool it down. Never drink hot chocolate. My mouth just cannot tolerate anything hot. I only eat food after it has cooled off considerably.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 Some soups are pretty tasty. I've put ice cubes in things in the summer months to enjoy them more. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone never drinking or eating anything hot before. Was the roof of your mouth traumatized when you were a child?
@Platespinner (14040)
I stopped eating canned soup a long time ago, but it's nice to know that there are healthier options available.
@Lupita234 (2200)
now soups are delicious too
@Lupita234 Soup has always been delicious, it's just that most canned varieties aren't very healthy--too much salt, sugar and other additives. I prefer to make my own.
• Midland, Michigan
3h
@Platespinner I'd rather make my own too, Joanne. But, working two jobs doesn't always leave the necessary time for that, so this works in a pinch. My health is pretty good and since I don't add salt to my foods what's in these isn't so bad. Plus there is no added sugars, which I like and no odd spelling words either.
No I have not seen or try this.Mostly we make our own.But will check this out.Thank you
I don't recall having seen those new soups at the grocery store.
• Preston, England
sounds good - never tried kale though so far
• Midland, Michigan
You can't really taste it in the soup. I know of people that add it by the large bunch load to a big pot of soup. I think it cooks down much like spinach will. A lot of people here use it in their salads or as a decoration on their plates.
• Preston, England
@MarshaMusselman I love spinach strangely, always did
@garymarsh6 (9947)
I only like one type of tinned soup and that is Heinz tomato soup! It is comfort food here in the UK and only Heinz will do. Alternatively I make my own it is so simple and YOU control what goes in it.
• Midland, Michigan
We have a wide variety of international foods here at our store because we have a university and factory that has many international people at both. One of the common things stocked in the Heinz brand of soups and other condiments sold in England and thereabouts. Interestingly enough, Heinz is also a brand sold here in America, but those same types of foods aren't on our normal shelves. We do have Heinz steak sauce in most restaurants though. Before I began working at my store, I didn't even know that those other Heinz products existed.
I love home made soups, but Campbells canned soups are terrific! My favorite is Golden Mushroom, it makes the richest gravy, and it is not cheap either at 2.29/can, but worth it!!
@nanette64 (8550)
• Fairfield, Texas
What is the cholesterol count @MarshaMusselman ? I hate that EVERYTHING today; healthy or not supposedly where the salt content is ridiculous. And they wonder why more people are getting kidney stones.
• Midland, Michigan
I'll try to add the list of these things that people are questioning. I also wonder whether those getting overloaded with salts are still loading it on their foods every meal? Our bodies do need some salt. I don't know why manufacturers put so much into their cans or if they think they need that much to get the right flavor.
@nanette64 (8550)
• Fairfield, Texas
@MarshaMusselman I use Sea Salt occasionally. I don't know why they add the salt either considering almost ALL foods, fruits, veggies contain their own 'natural salt'.
• Midland, Michigan
@nanette64 And that could be a large portion of where the salt content does come from. I try not to use any salt whatsoever, or at least not add it to my food.
@ridingbet (19166)
23h
the brand Campbell is famous all around the world. but i have not yet tasted the soup of this brand.
• Midland, Michigan
17h
I don't think this has been out that long. Our store is similar to walmart except we're not world-wide. We span about five states in the midwest of the USA. It will take a bit for it to be available everywhere I'm thinking.
@Lupita234 (2200)
still high in sodium
• Midland, Michigan
Lower than other campbells soups, but yes it still have a lot. We do need some though, or our bodies won't work correctly.
Hey, Campbells ought to hire you as their PR person! Perhaps your husband wouldn't ignore it if you put it in friont of him on the table
• Midland, Michigan
That might be a consideration. I'd want to buy more than one can of the same flavor and put them into a soup kettle to cook first.
Sounds perfect for me since I love soup. It's nice to know that they are putting out a healthier version and 100 calories a cup isn't too bad. Hows the sodium?
• Midland, Michigan
The sodium looks like it's runinng about 100-200 mg lower than the other soups they sell. It's still seems high,,but I don't know how much is inherent in the ingredients or added later.
• Portland, Connecticut
How is the sodium content, that is what worries me the most about canned soup? Thank you by the way for the exercises.
• Midland, Michigan
Your welcome and good question. I don't add any extra sodium to my foods, but I also don't have high blood pressure. I look at the sodium content for my husband but that's about it. The two cans I have left have between 590-620 mgs but their other soups both the chunky and regular have two hundred more mg's per serving. I'd think the sodium is used to preserve them since they don't put anything else inside, but I don't really know.
@LoriAMoore (10407)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Do you think they're playing on the word "wellness" or that it sounds like "hell yes"
• Midland, Michigan
Never thought about that, Lori. I suppose it could be either one. In fact, I've been calling them 'yes' soups in my head. It wasn't until I took the photo and looked at the cans to see the ingredients that I noticed the word well above the yes. If there are commercials on tv for these, I've not seen them as our tv is disconnected from cable at present, so maybe commercials would tie in their idea on that better.
@MarymargII (6417)
• Toronto, Ontario
I have seen some of Campbell's new healthy soups- but not the ones you have shown there- they will take awhile to come to Canada! Looks like they're on a new healthy mission but will have to remove some of their salt to make it really healthy!
Those are surely great for people who do not have time to make a soup at home.
Nope. My daughter does all of the grocery shopping and I don't see the cans and such. They do sound good. They have always had some good ones. There used to be one that was lamb and had barley in it. Can't recall the name but I always really enjoyed it.
5h
Those sound tasty!
7h
Yes we have seen those. We had a coupon for a free can but didn't get it.