She Prescribed "Medical Food" For Me

@LoriAMoore (10781)
Louisville, Kentucky
Okay, this is a new one. I had a psychiatrist visit today. I see her 2-3 times per year. For those of you who don't have mental illnesses or disorders, psychiatrists are the ones who prescribe you medication and monitor your status and the visits are only about 15 minutes. Psychotherapists, counselors and licensed clinical social workers are the ones who give you therapy and coping skills who you see every 3-4 weeks and those visits last 50 minutes. As background, I have major depressive disorder a/k/a severe depression as well as Mild Cognitive Impairment which is turning into Fronto Temporal Dementia. They started me on the medication Aricept for dementia two months ago. Today the doctor gave me a prescription-only supplement that isn't a medication but more of a supplement. On the label it sells itself "Prescription Medical Food." What the heck? The prescription is called Cerefolin NAC and I hadn't heard of it before today. I've now researched it and it's very interesting. Some of you have mentioned having family members with dementia and cognitive impairment, so I thought I'd mention this to you. Here's what it is supposed to do. It's a formulated supplement specifically to meet the needs of people with impaired memory/cognitive function (such as those with dementia). It is supposed to nourish the brain with folate/folic acid, B12 to help grow brain cells, and something I can't pronounce to help make an antioxidant that protects nerves. So I'll give it a try. Medical food, huh? Well, I eat a lot of salmon for brain food too,
• Midland, Michigan
You seem to young to be having symptoms of something related to dementia, but I've also heard of younger people that get it, so it's probably not rare. Now I understand all your different names, you keep forgetting who you really are. I hope I can put a bit of humor here without hurting your feelings? I've been diagnosed with things before too, but have worked past them for six years now. I'm hopeful they will never return. My mom has dementia so I wish you the best.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Thanks, yes I'm changing my name as holidays and different occasions arise. After April, I'll return back to the regular me.
@UncleJoe (5834)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@MarshaMusselman I hope that doesn't hurt her feelings either because it sure was funny!
@Lupita234 (2606)
@LoriAMoore my respect for your health
@akalinus (12054)
I never heard of medical food. It sounds like hocus-pocus but I don't have a medical degree.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think they'd call it a vitamin or a supplement if it was over-the-counter, but gave it a weird name because it's a prescription? Maybe something to do with what insurance will or will not pay for?
@akalinus (12054)
@LoriAMoore That could be very true. Everything needs to be written in a way that insurance will pay for.
@Lupita234 (2606)
@LoriAMoore those are weird medicines!!!
Never heard of this "medical food" before. How long do you think that you will try?
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
She gave me free samples for 30 days, so I guess that long to see if I feel any different.
@akalinus (12054)
@LoriAMoore That is great. Try it before you buy it.
@Lupita234 (2606)
me too maybe new names for medicine
@garymarsh6 (10045)
We find many patients are malnourished especially the elderly because they can't be bothered to cook for one! The B12 and folate are the most common deficiencies which can mimic dementia or cognitive impairment. As long as you are eating a well balanced diet the B group of vitamins are good for the neurological system. Salmon is good for you too!
@Lupita234 (2606)
oh i love salmon
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Wonderful, maybe I'll get a little bit out of this fog. Thanks so much @garymarsh6
Years ago my doctor gave me samples that were labeled medical food. I thought it was cool and funny. Unfortunately, the insurance wouldn't cover it, and the doctor couldn't keep giving me samples. I'm so glad that you get to try something new! It sounds promising.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I just checked my insurance plan for prescription names and it's not on there. Hmmmm.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@AmbiePam That's a good thought, thanks for the encouragement.
@moffittjc (25009)
• Gainesville, Florida
In addition to feeding your brain, don't forget to exercise it too (which I know you do)! I eat a lot of salmon too, not only for its great taste, but also for its health benefits.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Yes, thank you, I need to get back to the gym. I've been in a "funk" for a month, probably why I spent so much time on MyLot to earn the $30. hahaha.
@moffittjc (25009)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LoriAMoore So, what exercises to they have at the gym for your brain? lol I like to solve crosswords and word puzzles to help keep my brain active and in shape.
So is it a powder you take with water?
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It's a caplet like a vitamin.
I'll be interested to learn if it helps you Lori. Good luck with it.
@LoriAMoore (10781)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Thank you, I'll let you all know how it works.
Here some people believe it. Such as radish is good for the eyesight. Milk is good for the bones. At least I think it is better to take the natural food than the medicine
that is interesting!
The cynic in me thinks that giving you a list of foods to munch on would be more beneficial than a tablet to take. I wonder if she gets commission if you continue taking it after the free samples run out!
Good that you are aware and eat some things that are good for your brain. This supplement sounds good. Hope it is helpful to you.
Interesting. I've never heard of regrowing brain cells.
You do not listen to them do you.Not interest in medical food.I eat what I like.They can take a hike No one is going to tell me what to eat.Is it gluten free
@Lupita234 (2606)
hey thats great you get medical organic food
@nanette64 (8628)
• Fairfield, Texas
Wow, I'll have to tell my Dad's wife about this @LoriAMoore . Thank you for the info.