Reading Marathon.....Binge Listening

@Morleyhunt (14235)
A couple of months ago a book was recommended by a fellow Mylotter. When I found out it was available through Overdrive and my local library as an audiobook, I put a hold on the book. The book was added to my account while I was away on vacation. When I arrive home I downloaded it to my iPad to listen at my leisure. Then I realized I now have just ten days to listen to the audiobook. Normally this isn't a big concern...most books I listen to in about four days. This book promises to take a bit longer. On CD this book is on 32 discs that run for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I've managed to listen to 18 discs and have four days left....can I do it. I am thoroughly enjoying the book.
• Portland, Connecticut
Wow that is a long one, good luck with that.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
That is the longest audio book I've had up until this point. I thought the one with 16 discs was long.
Wow! You still have a way to go. I'd get in some TV dinners to save time cooking. :)
@Morleyhunt (14235)
TV dinners Aren't an option...I can listen while preparing a meal...it means I will spend a lot of time quilting or sewing and not too much time mylotting.
@Morleyhunt Oh well - our loss! But only for a while. :)
@Morleyhunt (14235)
@JudyEv I can Mylot for another fifteen minutes this morning. The princess is watching the Aristocats before I need to take her to school.
You are a bit over halfway, but there are still many CD left to listen, good luck.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
We're working at it. Then I had company....so an hours listening time was gone....just like that. I had a nice visit with my eldest daughter.
@Morleyhunt An hour lost listening, but an hour well spent with your daughter.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
@LadyDuck so true. And this afternoon I spent an hour with my youngest daughter while she helped me sort out the nightmare that my hotmail account was causing me.
@divalounger (2044)
I assume your book was the Pillars of the Earth--if so, gotta say one of my all time favorites! So your library allows you to download and then listen to it? Our local library doesn't have that capability--at least not yet--
@Morleyhunt (14235)
That is the book. It is through overdrive that books are available for download. We get them for 14 days and then they automatically return to the library. I can renew but then I'm back to the bottom of the waiting list. I'm loving the book.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
@divalounger the race is on... 12 CDs to go. I'm over half way.
@Platespinner (15678)
Thanks for the warning. I have a hold on that particular book myself. I' finished a 45 plus hour audiobook earlier this month. It's one that my second son decided I needed to listen to on the way home from your place last month. Of course it has a sequel as well....one that is over 48 hours long. I can't binge watch, but I don't have too much trouble with binge listening .
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I can't binge watch.....I feel like Telly from Sesame Street when I do....binge listening is easy...but 36 hours is a lot of book to get through in a short period of time. Visiting dad, having the princess here cuts into my listening time.
@Morleyhunt That book I was listening to took me more than 3 weeks to finish, and that was after listening to 8 hours of it the first day.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
@Platespinner I didn't start on my listening marathon until Thursday. I downloaded after we got home but had to listen to Mathilda first. That one had been on my holds list since August...it dame the first day we were away from home....war and peace also finally came as well...but it isn't working properly so I just returned it and will try to borrow it elsewhere. It's a great way to get a lot of sewing done.
@silvermist (14185)
@Morleyhunt Marathon is the correct word.Did you finish it?
@Morleyhunt (14235)
Yes I finished it with two hours to spare. I loved the book. I will borrow it from the library again for a second listen. They have it available and I can keep it for three weeks and renew if need be.
@silvermist (14185)
@Morleyhunt There are some books like that that we love reading a second or third time.Have you read his Eye of the needle?There is also a movie based on the book.
Pillars of the Earth is one of my most favorite books of all time! I hope you complete it!
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I finished it this afternoon...just in time...I think I had two hours to go before it automatically delete from my iPad. I will be listening to it again. I loved the book. Our local library apparently does have it on CD so then I can take three weeks to listen to it....and if need be I can renew it.
@Morleyhunt Glad you finished and loved it!
@Meramar (1697)
It seems to be a big one, but I am sure you will finish listening it in time!
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I'm certainly going to make a valiant effort to listen to the entire book before the due date.
@Meramar (1697)
Glad you are enjoying it. What's it about ?
@Morleyhunt (14235)
It's an epic story....romance...building a cathedral, religious and political intrigue.....
I think you can!
@Morleyhunt (14235)
My daughter found a work around...I have a few extra days.
@JESSY3236 (4371)
I download them to my kindle and I found out by accident that the audiobooks and ebooks are permanent on there until I delete them. I return the books and audiobooks to Overdrive and listen and read them on the kindle as long as I want to.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I don't own a kindle, but my daughter the librarian has supplied a work around for me. She has downloaded the last ten discs onto her work computer. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping off my iPad and cable and she will download them onto iTunes for me.
@dramagirl26 (3338)
• Ringgold, Virginia
Sounds like it'd be a good book. Enjoy it :)
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I'm enjoying the book immensely. As soon as hubby heads back to work I'll be listening again.
That is a lot of dedication to complete listening to this book-but I think that you can do it!
@Morleyhunt (14235)
My daughter has told me we can do a work around if I need to return it before I'm done. Overdrive automatically returns to book when it's due. I'm working valiantly at making sure I'm done the book.
I have not got into listening to the books.
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I found that listening while quilting allowed me to do two of my favourite things at the same time. I can't listen while watching tv....or mylotting....or when there are a lot of people chatting around me.
@LoriAMoore (12182)
I've tried audbiobooks 3-4 times but I can't pay attention enough to hear the story. I get distracted
@Morleyhunt (14235)
I find the best time is when I'm sewing, cutting out, or quilting...I can listen while doing dishes....but need to run my dishwater first so that the sounds aren't distracting.