Do You Enjoy Learning About History?

Some people, me included, do enjoy learning about past history, mostly because of the fascinating realities that have happened. History, for the sake of history, can be very boring, to say the least, but there are so many strange and interesting facts, that never cease to amaze me. For instance, while some Europeans were making their own history where they lived, there were many Portuguese, Spanish, British, French and Dutch who were not satisfied with staying where they were. They wanted to discover what else lay across the vast oceans. So, in the late fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, they began to charter ships to sail the seas, even though they had very little understanding of geography at that time. On the American continents, unknown to the Europeans, there were vast numbers of civilizations who were also creating their own history. In Africa and Asia also, there were civilizations developing. Even on small islands in the oceans there were people already there. How did they get there? Where did they come from? To me, this is fascinating. I’ve been doing some research on the subject and I hope to be able to share some of the interesting things I have found so far. Perhaps, you will find it fascinating also and feel free to add any information that you can from where you live. I welcome your input, whatever it may be.
I do love researching the history of particular events. The tribes of my state of Illinois included the Illinois tribe (Illini), Iroquois, Chippewa, Ottawa, and Potawatomi, Kickapoo, Kaskaskia, Miami, Shawnee, Sauk and Fox tribes. I was born in Ottawa, IL.
I'm definitely into American tribal history. It's sad that most of that history was never written down. It was passed down from generation to generation. Here in Virginia we have tribal communities (reservations) also.
@KrauseHome (33259)
@Corbin5 I grew up in Il and the Indian heritage there is pretty amazing
@KrauseHome I have a map on the wall in my office that shows all of the tribes across the USA. Every state has a tribal background. In Illinois, the tribes on the map are Kaskaskia, Peoria, Tamaroa, and Cahokia. Do you know of other tribes that were located in Illinois?
• Denmark
What I find immensely frustrating when studying history is that people never learn and history repeats itself.
That's very true. History does repeat itself. Humans keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am most fascinated with local history. Cape Henry in Virginia Beach is where this country started.
It's where the "invasion" of Europeans into this country started. Remember, there were already thousands of "native" Americans already here. The tribal civilizations were spread across the entire nation from one coast to the other. They were here first. They raised families, hunted and fished, raised food in gardens, even taught the Europeans how to grow vegetables.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@IreneVincent That's kind of a given. However, I was referring to when the first English settlers touched this soil in 1607. That was when a new country that is now the United States of America began. As as Native American descendant I know who was here before the English began to settle.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@IreneVincent My grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee from the NC mountains. She is a descendant of some who marched in the Trail of Tears but escaped along the way and returned to their home. I know how Andrew Jackson treated Native Americans. I still don't see what that has to do with the first colonists establishing the beginning of a new nation.
@slayer08 (2382)
I've always loved history. I especially enjoy Asian history-Chinese and Japanese. I like learning how things started out.
I lived in Okinawa Japan for a year and a half. My oldest son was born there.
@slayer08 (2382)
@IreneVincent Wow :) I would like to one day visit Japan. But I'm very much interested to visit the cat island. Does it really exist?
@slayer08 Where is the CAT island suppose to be? I'll have to see if I can find any information on it.
@Mass_Sonu (1041)
@IreneVincent I love history, and I'm from India. But what I don't like is how few people misinterpret & misrepresent historical facts for their own selfish motives. For example, see how the Nazis abused & misused the word 'Aryans', so much so that it is now a racial slur. The word literally means 'People of Iran' and includes many central Asian tribes. And as for my place, I'm always fascinated by the colonial rule in India (late 18th century onwards), studying British rule in India, which has advantages & disadvantages too. Thank you for your post, which reminds me of my own fascination towards history.
India has a very interesting history. One of the things that is really amazing to me about India is all the different languages that are spoken there and how with so many different languages, the people can communicate. I would imagine that you can speak several languages. Your English is excellent. I have some acquaintances here who speak Gujarati and Punjabi.
@Mass_Sonu (1041)
@IreneVincent Thank you! And you are right. Apart from English, I am fluent in three languages & can understand two more (All Indian, and many people in India are multi-lingual, no big deal here). People speaking different languages tend to communicate in English & Hindi. The Gujaratis and Punjabis were the first to migrate from India to countries like UK, USA - So no wonder you have few acquaintances there. And, I have a bit of Interest and respect in American History too. The words 'We hold this to be self evident- All men are created equal', American Revolution, Abraham Lincoln, etc - These quotes, events and people continue to inspire many Indians!
@Mass_Sonu Americans and many people around the earth were also inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and what he did.
I love reading about history, particularly European history. Lately though I've taken much interest in the New World and the pioneers after reading The Little House book series.
American history is fascinating. The tribal civilization that was already here in America when the Europeans came, have no written history, except for recently when some of them have written down the "stories" from their grandparents memories. I recently found some information about my ancestors who were killed by Indians. It was published in a newspaper several years ago. One of my cousins found it and sent me a copy of the story. I'm in the process of tracing my family ancestry and I was very pleased that she sent this to me.
@IreneVincent There's much to learn from our ancestors and the way they lived their lives back then. I'm sorry to know that they were killed by Indians. On which state did your ancestors settle?
@almostoveryou West Virginia is where this all happened, many years ago. It's where I was born as well as my parents and grand parents.
@KrauseHome (33259)
When it comes to History when I was younger it never really interested me. Now as I get older I find it actually quite interesting.
Yes, I've always enjoyed reading anything about History and I seem to enjoy it even more, now that I'm older and have more time to read.
• Japan
I love learning about history but I have an easier time remembering it if it is connected to the art, music, and theology of the time. I don't like learning about battles and political situations. I like learning about how the way the everyday human thought, lived, and expressed themself.
Yes, I agree. I like to learn about the different cultures and how people lived throughout history. Especially how women were able to take care of their families without all the modern conveniences we have today.
@FayeHazel (10882)
I like learning about history however I have great trouble remembering, dates, places and details
Dates are difficult to remember, for sure. I just like reading history about any and all cultures and I search in particular, for unusual stories. In my own family, I have some written history about some of my ancestors being killed by Indians. I found this just recently, while working on my ancestral background.
History was my worst subject in school but now that I'm older I've been enjoying reading about history
I liked History even as a child, but I'm like you. Now that I'm older, I really enjoy it much more and love reading about different eras of history, not only here in the USA but in other countries also.
History was always my favorite subject in school.I particularly enjoyed British and West Indian history.
All countries have a unique history and different persons are interested in different countries. If you read some of the other comments, you will see that there are quite a few different interests here already.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
American History and World History were one of my favorite subjects in school.
Yes, American history fascinates me, especially when I read about the different tribal (Indian) history. No one really knows how long these "native" people were here before the Europeans came to this country. And there is no written history, until AFTER the "white man" came.
A great failing of today's society is not learning from history and not realizing the old adage history repeats history is derived from that ignorance.
Yes, a person needs to learn from past history, but unfortunately humans have the tendency to repeat history instead of learning from it. WAR for instance has never solved anything. There are better ways to settle differences than to kill people.