Great-Great Grandfather Looks Too Young to Be a Union Soldier

A search online allowed me to view a photo, for the first time, of my great-great grandfather. I stared at the photo, and my first thought was, "No way does he look 18 years old!" One had to be at least 18 to enlist in the Union army during the Civil War. However, many boys lied about their ages, and quite a few Union soldiers were under the age of 18. It was mind-boggling to learn that at least 100,000 Union soldiers were under the age of 15. Experiencing the horrors of war at such a young age had to be traumatic.
@louievill (19985)
You have a great and noble family lineage, no wonder your father got his genes from him, always there to defend what we all enjoy now, our freedom! My salute Yeah he looks young but there were no laws yet about boy soldiers as we do now and agreed upon by nations.
The age to join was 18 or older, but even if a boy lied about his age, he probably was able to join, especially is many Union lives were lost and the army was shorthanded.
@Mike197602 (13937)
you're actually a bit wrong there. Even back then the minimum age to join was 18. " During the war you had to be at least 18 years old to join the military. Men 18-20 years old needed parental permission while those over 45 were considered too old to serve."
Back Demonstration System-Research Section Forward Next Demo Screen Previous Demo Screen Database Status How to Subscribe About the Database During the war you had to be at least 18 years old to join the military. Men 18-20 years old needed parental permis
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Corbin5 hey there's nothing wrong with what you wrote. What you said was absolutely true. My point was to @louievill and him saying about age rules. There were age rules then too but as in other wars they were ignored. Everything you say I agree with!!...we crossed comments...my response was to you my comment to him!!
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
The US Civil War is notorious for having had a vast number of very young participants. This was often the result of people living on remote farms and yearning for adventure, plus the poverty around at the time.
Yes, and I believe I read that the Confederate army had no age requirement for enlisting. A lot of the youngest ones were bugle boys or drummer boys, but they too witness the horror, I would think.
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
@Corbin5 That is no doubt due to the much smaller population.
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Corbin5 there are issues there. Conscription is one and the incomplete confederate records are another. It'd take some degree of research to compare the 2 armies enlistment terms. 18 does seem the benchmark though but even then there are significant issues...some slaves were enlisted and they didn't know their age.
they were young at that time.No age is required.You just go and fight.
I am sure they all saw awful things. I am surprised that my great-great grandfather lived to age 82.
@Corbin5 yes,he did great thee.Something was working for him
@Mike197602 (13937)
I've read a lot about 15 year olds in ww1 Pretty bad but there was pressure on everyone to get involved and probably it was the same then too. From records do you know his actual age?
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Corbin5 just want to clear up any misunderstanding. I agree totally with your points. The age thing was purely a comment to another response...not a negative point about your discussion!!
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Corbin5 it would be interesting to know his age on enlistment!! maybe in time you can find that out?
@Mike197602 Yes, maybe he was a drummer boy. Will continue the search. I do know his brother, for which there is a photo, was in the same regiment and he was a Lieutenant.
@thelme55 (15169)
He looked too young to be 18. It is amazing how you know about your great great grandfather.
@sol_cee (18181)
• Japan
Was that a ribbon around his neck?
@topffer informed me that he is wearing a cavalry scarf. He was in the 3rd Illinois cavalry so that makes sense.
@Gillygirl (17606)
• Sutton, England
That is a piece of history and a great photo. I read that a lot of men lied about their ages to enlist in the civil war. The same applied to soldiers in WW1.
Yes, it is a shame that those so young had to endure the horrors of war too. Such awful sights they witnessed.
@Gillygirl (17606)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 I expect the trauma was great. Do you know what became of your great-great grandfather?
@Gillygirl (17606)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 That is interesting to know he survived the civil war.
@KrauseHome (35514)
But back then this I think was the only thing men and boys had to look forward too all their life. It was encouraged and demanded of them so they were glad to go. Yes many did lie about their age to get the priveledge to go and so unless you seen proof he does look under 18 here, and just might have been.
I have looked at military records and he is listed, but his age when he joined the military is not given.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 My grandfather a few time removed served in the Civil War and I've heard many stories about him. He was wounded and had no way to get heme when he released but someone with a wagon picked him up and brought him home. He lived in Chatsworth Ga.
@RubyHawk You know, like your grandfather, I bet many were left with no way to get back to their homes. So glad your grandfather met someone with a wagon.
Yes, he looks like he is probably 15 or 16 in that photo. I think a lot of boys wanted to go to war because they wanted to protect their beliefs and lands. Though I am sure many also went so that they could provide for their families back home. I am sure it was traumatic for them but there is no telling what they might have experienced already at home, without the threats of war. It was a different time, and I imagine something at home (situation and poverty maybe?) fueled these young men to go to war. Young women even too I bet. (though they would have to disguise their identities).
I think you are right about the women joining up to help with the fight too.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Many women disguised themselves as men and fought. Other women followed the camps to do laundry, cooking and so on.
@RubyHawk Yes, my maiden name is Corbin, and Margaret Cochran Corbin (November 12, 1751 – January 16, 1800) was a woman who fought in the American Revolutionary War. My grandmother was a member of the DAR, but my mother would not allow me to join due to the DAR not allowing Marion Anderson, an African American, to perform in DAR Constitution Hall. My mom was very active in the civil rights movement.
@topffer (36386)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
Great photo, and what is more interesting is that he was your ancestor ! He was indeed very young. He wears what seems to be a cavalry scarf which gives him an interesting look. I do not think that there were regulations for scarves in the union infantry, I have seen any sort of scarves with different colors.
Thank you for alerting me to the cavalry scarf!! He was in the 3rd Illinois cavalry. He lived to age 82. He may be older than I had originally thought.
• Japan
I have seen 18-year-olds that look like him, but I am sure many younger boys did sign up.
I am sure. Yes, there are some very young looking 18 years old. During the Civil War in the USA, 100,000 soldiers for the Union army were under the age of 15.
Great photo and, yes very sad, they even had kids out there just playing drums called them the little drummer boys.
Yes, someone asked about the scarf ties into a bow around his neck. I wonder if he was a bugle or drummer boy.
A great photo there Deborah! I agree he does not look 18. It is wonderful that you were able to view this. Wow I had no idea that Union soldiers were so very young!
I know, he looks so young, and I keep thinking of all the horrific sights those so young witnessed.
@Corbin5 Were you able to find out his birthdate and deathdate?
@Corbin5 Wow that is unusual..strong genes, thanks for saying Deborah.
He does look young. What wonderful treasures we find online.
It really was a surprise to find that photo. I also found his brother's Union army photo too.
@Corbin5 that's really cool. I once found a photo of my great great grandparents online.
@Tampa_girl7 That is wonderful. So glad you found that photo!! Sure is a surprise when we do find those old ones.
Imagine those who are having this experience in our days, kids as young as 13 year old that are kidnapped and must fight for the ISIS.
Yes, I saw a documentary on the youngest ISIS fighters. Pitiful.
@Corbin5 Poor kids, taken from their families that are killed and obliged to fight. They do not even fight for an ideal.
Even for an 18 year old the army would be awful.
I think so too. So much horror to witness.
@tzwrites (4956)
It must have been traumatizing to be a part of the Civil War. But I'm guessing males were expected to enroll.
Yes, I am sure all males, even the very young, were encourage to fight in this conflict.
Some of these young 'men' must have had very tough lives.
I am sure they saw horrific things on the battlefield.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Lots of young boys enlisted in the civil war.It was terrible.
I did read that the Confederate army had no age limit in place.
@crossbones27 (21982)
• Redlands, California
Great historic photo there. Thanks for sharing and is indeed sad the turbulence adults create on their youth without really knowing they are doing it in that time and now. Most cannot help it but sure there is people in power who could if they were not so hell bent to their own ego.
The photo is definitely a keeper. So true that the young often have to pay a big price due to the actions of adults.